Sponsored

2dr MPG - different from 4dr?

displayname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Anyone know if a 2dr gets different MPGs vs a 4dr? I’d imagine it’s a little less aerodynamic, but also a little lighter. Maybe that balances out.

I know the range is generally a little lower due to thank size, but I don’t see mpg discussed as often.
Sponsored

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
EPA rates the 2.0 4-door 1 MPG less in the city, same on highway compared to 2-door. It's not enough of a difference to make a purchasing decision on IMHO. So many other things will affect your mileage as well.

OP
OP

displayname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
EPA rates the 2.0 4-door 1 MPG less in the city, same on highway compared to 2-door. It's not enough of a difference to make a purchasing decision on IMHO. So many other things will affect your mileage as well.
Perfect, thank you!

vasdimpop

First Name
Vasil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY22 JLUR (being built)
What about the 3.6? I'm curious about this myself as I'm coming from a JLR 6-speed to a JLUR 6-speed.

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Yeah, the 4dr gets 1mpg worse but we get a tank that's 4 gallons less, so the 4dr gets about 80 miles further. I hate when the 4dr wins :(

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Anyone know if a 2dr gets different MPGs vs a 4dr? I’d imagine it’s a little less aerodynamic, but also a little lighter. Maybe that balances out.

I know the range is generally a little lower due to thank size, but I don’t see mpg discussed as often.
It's simple...the 2 door is lighter, less mass to move around. All things being equal, the 2 door is better on gas. I can tell you my 3.6 manual Rubicon gets 23 on the highway...I'm happy with that.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
It's simple...the 2 door is lighter, less mass to move around. All things being equal, the 2 door is better on gas. I can tell you my 3.6 manual Rubicon gets 23 on the highway...I'm happy with that.
Plus the 2dr gets more smiles per gallon, so another win there!

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
@displayname
Have you got your JL yet? Just curious if you narrowed it down to a 2dr, if not I highly suggest you do :)

OP
OP

displayname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
@displayname
Have you got your JL yet? Just curious if you narrowed it down to a 2dr, if not I highly suggest you do :)
Not yet. I tend to be very slow on vehicle purchases, and the current market doesn’t have me rushing either. But my wife is really coming around to the 2 dr idea.

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Not yet. I tend to be very slow on vehicle purchases, and the current market doesn’t have me rushing either. But my wife is really coming around to the 2 dr idea.
Happy wife = better mods :)
My wife loves the 2dr, hard for her to give up the keys :)
Are you planning to order or keep on the lookout at the lot(s) or other sources??

OP
OP

displayname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Happy wife = better mods :)
My wife loves the 2dr, hard for her to give up the keys :)
Are you planning to order or keep on the lookout at the lot(s) or other sources??
I fully intend to order when the time comes. I am the type of person that tends to keep vehicles passed 100K+ miles, so I don’t want to make compromises for the sake of timing convenience.

Dp227

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR 6MT
How fast do you drive? Only asking because I’m lucky af to get 21 in my JLR with the same setup. 18.5-19 is not uncommon. My former JL (a Willys Sport) I could pretty consistently get 21 or a bit above, but of course the gearing sucked.

I do have factory M/T tires though, which I’m sure is part of the factor.

Edit: My window sticker said 25 HWY. I would argue it’s an impossible number to obtain in any 100 mile highway trip. That said, I recently switched from a soft to hard top and the current mpg seems a bit better. We’ll see if that has an effect. But I’m much more of a smiles per gallon guy with the Jeep anyway… MPG is not the primary or even secondary goal.

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
How fast do you drive? Only asking because I’m lucky af to get 21 in my JLR with the same setup. 18.5-19 is not uncommon. My former JL (a Willys Sport) I could pretty consistently get 21 or a bit above, but of course the gearing sucked.

I do have factory M/T tires though, which I’m sure is part of the factor.

Edit: My window sticker said 25 HWY. I would argue it’s an impossible number to obtain in any 100 mile highway trip. That said, I recently switched from a soft to hard top and the current mpg seems a bit better. We’ll see if that has an effect. But I’m much more of a smiles per gallon guy with the Jeep anyway… MPG is not the primary or even secondary goal.
I have done a couple 75-100 mile highway runs in my stock Sport S JLU, and I've had the computer show 30 MPG at the end (both were round trips). Actual fill-up calculated MPG was 27. This was at 70-ish MPH as well.

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Have you and your wife driven both? No matter what you read on the intranets, real world experience is what matters to you. For me, I'm lucky that I've driven all sorts of Jeeps and knew that the 2 door is what I wanted. I honestly could care less about mpg, as we all know, Jeeps are not bought for fuel efficiency. If it was just that, there are many other cheaper options out there that will out do any Jeep any day for efficiency.
Sponsored