2dr custom exhaust

CorvZ061

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler
I currently have a muffler delete on my 3.6 JL. I've heard several different catbacks and have yet to hear one that I really like. What I'm after is drone free, I'd like it to be somewhat quiet cruising around and during normal light acceleration, don't care about heavy acceleration.

I'm currently thinking about leaving the muffler delete and replacing the resonator with a straight through muffler, current consideration is a Summit branded stainless straight through in 2.5". I have used their 3" counterpart on my Chevelle before and overall liked the sound level on that car, but that is a completely different ball game. I actually still have the summit mufflers I removed from that car, but being 3" in/out it's worthless to me though I did slide under my jeep and set it up in the area of the resonator and it will fit there. Would need a Offset inlet and center outlet and the exhaust shop would have to do a little fab work. Am I off my rocker in thinking this would get me what I'm after?

Or more importantly, has anyone done something like this and happy with the result?
Sponsored

Fatboy97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Rubicon JL
I currently have a muffler delete on my 3.6 JL. I've heard several different catbacks and have yet to hear one that I really like. What I'm after is drone free, I'd like it to be somewhat quiet cruising around and during normal light acceleration, don't care about heavy acceleration.

I'm currently thinking about leaving the muffler delete and replacing the resonator with a straight through muffler, current consideration is a Summit branded stainless straight through in 2.5". I have used their 3" counterpart on my Chevelle before and overall liked the sound level on that car, but that is a completely different ball game. I actually still have the summit mufflers I removed from that car, but being 3" in/out it's worthless to me though I did slide under my jeep and set it up in the area of the resonator and it will fit there. Would need a Offset inlet and center outlet and the exhaust shop would have to do a little fab work. Am I off my rocker in thinking this would get me what I'm after?

Or more importantly, has anyone done something like this and happy with the result?
Borla makes a complete exhaust for the 2 door wich replaces the factory resonator with a muffler. I have been very impressed with Borla on other vehicles. My only concern with any system would be the exhaust exiting the drivers side as I have the trailer plug and wiring that looks like it might be in the way.

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
I have built several custom exhaust systems over the years. Back in the day factory exhausts were undersized and flowed poorly due to the kinks and wrinkles in the bends. You could gain a fair amount of power installing a free flowing exhaust.

No more. OEM or any aftermarket exhaust is going to be appropriately sized and have smooth mandrel bends. Few exhaust shops have mandrel benders so the fab work by the local shop is likely to flow poorly in comparison.

Some day I might build a true dual exhaust system for my 3.6 JLR. When I do I'll use a dual 2" inlet/outlet muffler where the resonator is and piece together mandrel bends. The muffler WILL NOT have an internal X configuration but rather keep the two streams separate. This will allow me to eliminate the loop on the passenger side without causing interference between the two exhaust streams due to different path lengths...

If this sounds like to much effort I suggest you do what I did. Install a Hooker Blackheart BH5412 cat-back. If you aren't happy you can replace the tailpipe with their BH5410 axle-back muffler. At this point you will have two mufflers in a high clearance configuration. I was pleasantly surprised with the cat-back system and decided not to install the second muffler. It's a little louder than I would prefer but not obnoxious.

Reactions: AFD

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
Not sure about drone, but imo, the best-sounding JL systems appear to do 3 things.. delete the primary muffler and add a mini muffler between the rear axle and resonator, while keeping the exit behind the axle where the original muffler was located.

The Borla Climber series is a good example of this, but unfortunately there are apparently fitment issues that prevent it from being installed with the eTorque 3.6 and some (all?) auto-4WD options like Selec-Trac, but perhaps a similar custom solution could get around these obstructions. The Flowmaster FlowFX sounds very similar, but I'm not crazy about the early dump before the axle. Maybe replacing the resonator with a small bullet-style mini muffler and then straight pipe to the rear would be a solution?

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician

I did the Dynomax delete on my 3.6...honestly I think you will miss it. I would consider the factory muffler 'quiet cruising around.' I have no doubt there are some good catbacks out there, but it's hard to beat the clearance and sound of the bypass. I rarely notice it over wind noise.

Sponsored

Jimac

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

This is my solution. Have used for 3 1/2 years sounds great. Muffler delete plus cherry bomb glass pack.

FEA6F50D-AFB1-499B-85D8-1ECF41750AA2.jpeg

601B5A73-F921-4065-BD0B-9C105D88361F.jpeg

OP
OP

CorvZ061

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler
Not sure about drone, but imo, the best-sounding JL systems appear to do 3 things.. delete the primary muffler and add a mini muffler between the rear axle and resonator, while keeping the exit behind the axle where the original muffler was located.

The Borla Climber series is a good example of this, but unfortunately there are apparently fitment issues that prevent it from being installed with the eTorque 3.6 and some (all?) auto-4WD options like Selec-Trac, but perhaps a similar custom solution could get around these obstructions. The Flowmaster FlowFX sounds very similar, but I'm not crazy about the early dump before the axle. Maybe replacing the resonator with a small bullet-style mini muffler and then straight pipe to the rear would be a solution?
I was going to replace to reaonator with a decent muffler and keep the piping after the muffler so it would still end in the same place.

Reactions: AFD
OP
OP

CorvZ061

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler
I did the Dynomax delete on my 3.6...honestly I think you will miss it. I would consider the factory muffler 'quiet cruising around.' I have no doubt there are some good catbacks out there, but it's hard to beat the clearance and sound of the bypass. I rarely notice it over wind noise.
I’m fairly certain I wouldn’t miss it. I removed it once before to reinstall the factory muffler because it’s just not a good sound IMO. When I lifted my Jeep the rear track bar relocation bracket cleared, but was just a little too close for comfort with the rubber bushing.

OP
OP

CorvZ061

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler
Just an update. Ended up putting a Dynomax Super Turbo muffler in place of the resonator. It’s just as quiet as stock with a little more tone. No drone at all. I’m happy again.

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Just an update. Ended up putting a Dynomax Super Turbo muffler in place of the resonator. It’s just as quiet as stock with a little more tone. No drone at all. I’m happy again.
Pics or it didn't happen ;)

Sponsored

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Have you seen the stock muffler? It's definitely not mandrel bent.
LOL! Yes, yes I have, but I have to admit I'd forgotten about this little jewel of engineering:
Jeep Wrangler JL 2dr custom exhaust IMG_3714[1].JPG

So while I agree that flows poorly it is mandrel bent as is the rest of the system:
Jeep Wrangler JL 2dr custom exhaust IMG_3715[1].JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL 2dr custom exhaust IMG_3713[1].JPG

OP
OP

CorvZ061

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler
Engine Masters tested crush bend vs mandrel bend on a properly sized exhaust for the engine they were testing. The difference was negligible between the two. Mandrel bent looks better than crush bent but that’s about it.

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Engine Masters tested crush bend vs mandrel bend on a properly sized exhaust for the engine they were testing. The difference was negligible between the two. Mandrel bent looks better than crush bent but that’s about it.
How many HP and what size tube did they use?