First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
This question goes over and over, and I must admit I flip it over in my mind several times myself.

For my needs, I chose the 2 door. I like it for maneuverability, weight, and looks. I'll be taking the back seat out and getting a small trailer for storage.

I will agree that if you already prioritize storage, the 4 door will be a far better choice. I see stability, storage, and comfort for passengers as the biggest wins for the 4 door.

Either way, you will be hooked. Enjoy your new addiction. :like:
Sponsored

ckrough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJ
Consider towing as well. If you ever plan to pull something, the 4 door has a higher capacity and will be more stable due to the long wheelbase. Or so I hear.

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
I like Matt Maran but he admits in the beginning that he doesn't care for or drive off road. He did get to put some pretty good mileage on one though. Pretty standard results, wind noise complaint and slow sloppy steering.

Sponsored

warc1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2dr JL Rubicon, 2016 Corvette Z06
Right around 15:25. I love the way the seat flips up like that. My JK did not do that.
The back seat in my 2010 2dr Rubi flips up in the exact same manner. It also has the same issue of flopping under acceleration and that's a problem. On grocery runs, I keep thinking that bagged goods have spilled out when it's just the seat banging around.

Regardless, I'm doing another two dr Rubi because it's a more capable vehicle in the mountain wheeling that I put it to. It's a less stressful drive knowing the short wheelbase can more easily navigate tight turns and switchbacks with less risk of becoming high centred on vertical obstacles. However, now I'm thinking of taking the back seat out completely on the JL, which I've never tried on the JK.

bearcat454

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2500HD, Suzuki Carry
Its a 2 door for me as well. I went back and forth between the 4 door and 2 door endlessly. I did have a 2 door TJ for a few years, and have spent many a road trip in my buddies 4 door JK.

I plan on removing the backseat on day 1. For me the 2 door is just a bit more simple. Better looking, just a little less cargo space with the seat out than a 4 door. I know there will be days I need to haul more stuff, and for that, I have an old full size pickup. I've thrown 2500 pounds in the back with no problems, and it will tow 10k. The pickup cost me about 3500 bucks, although I've put another 1000 in parts over 5 years.

Its rare I need to put more than 2 people and a dog in my daily, but when I do, I'll just throw the back seat back in. And if I need to tow or haul, which is probably something more serious than a 4 door can do anyway, I have the pickup.

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
The back seat in my 2010 2dr Rubi flips up in the exact same manner. It also has the same issue of flopping under acceleration and that's a problem. On grocery runs, I keep thinking that bagged goods have spilled out when it's just the seat banging around.
Dietech Offroad makes a seat retainer for the JK that keeps the fold and tumble seat upright. Maybe there will be a similar option for the JL at some point.

seatretainer_alt1.jpg

XJ-99

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (sold), 2010 Toyota RAV4v6 Limited (sold), 2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S, Mojito!
Not sure how it works, but I guess there are straps to hold the back seat in the folded position as per page 52 in the owner's manual.
Screen Shot 2018-02-15 at 7.41.52 PM.png

Sponsored

Redleg22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I have had two 2 doors and two 4 doors so far. Is the 2 door more restrictive and less convenient? Yes. That being said I am a 2 door guy at heart so for my JL Rubicon I am going back to a 2 door. It is sufficient if you have no kids or only 1 kid plus I travel light so can live without the cargo space. IMO it is a small trade off in order to get the style, maneuverability, and fun that comes with the 2 doors.

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure how it works, but I guess there are straps to hold the back seat in the folded position as per page 52 in the owner's manual.
Screen Shot 2018-02-15 at 7.41.52 PM.png
Thanks for posting that. I didn't even know the rear seat could be quickly removed. I thought it had to be unbolted.

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.
Vehicle Showcase
I'm getting a 2 Door. We already have a 4 door in the family, so another one isn't really needed. On the rare occasion that I might need to carry 3 other people and some gear, I can always add a cargo trail rack.

While it would be nice to have the space of a 4 door to sleep in when camping, it's too dang hot and mosquito infested in Florida to even consider that. We'll probably just tow a small off-road camping trailer with ac and a gen.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I'm getting a 2 Door. We already have a 4 door in the family, so another one isn't really needed. On the rare occasion that I might need to carry 3 other people and some gear, I can always add a cargo trail rack.

While it would be nice to have the space of a 4 door to sleep in when camping, it's too dang hot and mosquito infested in Florida to even consider that. We'll probably just tow a small off-road camping trailer with ac and a gen.
Runaway campers based out of Florida.

20150801_133238.jpg
Sponsored