295/70-17 on stock Sport

cparke

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Can someone help me out here? I’m mounting 295/70/17 on my stock sport wheels. I DO NOT have a lift installed yet. I plan on installing a rubi takeoff suspension at some point. I have a stubby bumper installed.

will I experience any rubbing? If so, how can I remedy it?

OP
OP

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
I have a stock sport. I did buy a set of MOAB takeoff wheels. I didn’t not experience any rubbing even at full lock. See my previous post for details.

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys
Sorry if this is a basic question, just wanna make sure I understand. I'm passively looking at replacing my stock Willys M/Ts for some slightly larger A/Ts. Think they would better serve me overall. But I like the tires I have enough now to where only care enough to get take-off deals rather than new. Thus I don't really care about replacing my Willys wheels either, which I suppose lets me look at tire only deals.

I don't wanna go huge, so looking in the realm of 33s. I think puts me at 285/70/17 and 295/70/17. I have a Rubicon take-off suspension and high-top fenders, so with that and the Willys wheels, I don't think I should I have any issues? I'm pretty convinced that 285s should be good, and it seems like the same is true for 295s with this thread? I'm still trying to learn about offsets, backspacing, rim width, tread depth,...

OP
OP

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry if this is a basic question, just wanna make sure I understand. I'm passively looking at replacing my stock Willys M/Ts for some slightly larger A/Ts. Think they would better serve me overall. But I like the tires I have enough now to where only care enough to get take-off deals rather than new. Thus I don't really care about replacing my Willys wheels either, which I suppose lets me look at tire only deals.

I don't wanna go huge, so looking in the realm of 33s. I think puts me at 285/70/17 and 295/70/17. I have a Rubicon take-off suspension and high-top fenders, so with that and the Willys wheels, I don't think I should I have any issues? I'm pretty convinced that 285s should be good, and it seems like the same is true for 295s with this thread? I'm still trying to learn about offsets, backspacing, rim width, tread depth,...
If you look at my earlier posts you can see pics of my Sport with 295s, with MOAB takeoff wheels (same as Willys I think) which don’t rub. It would look slightly different with the Rubi suspension and fenders of course.

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

Maybe you can find some Rubi takeoff tires, the 285/70 size is a bit narrower/shorter than the 295/70 so if there's any contact issues it will be minimal. Best of all those BFG Rubicon tires can often be found around here for about half off what you'd pay at the tire shop, and the BFGs are a quality tire :)

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys
Maybe you can find some Rubi takeoff tires, the 285/70 size is a bit narrower/shorter than the 295/70 so if there's any contact issues it will be minimal. Best of all those BFG Rubicon tires can often be found around here for about half off what you'd pay at the tire shop, and the BFGs are a quality tire :)
Looks like from the couple notes in here from the OP and another thread, the 295/70/17 seem ok on stock wheels. The only other one for me to keep my eye on is 285/75/17, but that's even larger than the other two and might start to be too much?

And yep definitely started scanning the forum to see what's available, especially for the standard 285/70/17. So far nothing has hit the sweet spot on cost/location for me yet, but hoping one day I'll eventually be the beneficiary of someone else's decision to go bigger :)

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Looks like from the couple notes in here from the OP and another thread, the 295/70/17 seem ok on stock wheels. The only other one for me to keep my eye on is 285/75/17, but that's even larger than the other two and might start to be too much?

And yep definitely started scanning the forum to see what's available, especially for the standard 285/70/17. So far nothing has hit the sweet spot on cost/location for me yet, but hoping one day I'll eventually be the beneficiary of someone else's decision to go bigger :)
295s will probably have some contact under full lock or full stuff with the stock +44 offset wheels on your narrower Sport/Willys axles. There's been a few members around here that have added some washers on the steering knuckle IIRC, to get a bit wider turning radius to avoid contact there. You can also add a hockey puck bump stop to shorten up your shock travel to avoid inner fender contact. With the plastic fender liners it's not a big deal but something you might want to consider.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/hockey-puck-bump-stop-install-front.86907/

You can always run them as-is and just keep an eye on those areas for any contact, at least it's just rubber on steel, or rubber on plastic, not metal on metal :)

OP
OP

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
295s will probably have some contact under full lock or full stuff with the stock +44 offset wheels on your narrower Sport/Willys axles. There's been a few members around here that have added some washers on the steering knuckle IIRC, to get a bit wider turning radius to avoid contact there. You can also add a hockey puck bump stop to shorten up your shock travel to avoid inner fender contact. With the plastic fender liners it's not a big deal but something you might want to consider.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/hockey-puck-bump-stop-install-front.86907/

You can always run them as-is and just keep an eye on those areas for any contact, at least it's just rubber on steel, or rubber on plastic, not metal on metal :)
I’ve had no rubbing at full lock either way. I have also not done any heavy off-roading so I don’t know about full suspension travel with them.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I’ve had no rubbing at full lock either way. I have also not done any heavy off-roading so I don’t know about full suspension travel with them.
Only rubbing I had w/ my 295/70/17 tires when I had the stock fenders/liners and those euro bumper inserts still on was those plastic euro pieces, but this was with 17x8.5 +10 offset wheels so YMMV :)

Sponsored

OP
OP

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Only rubbing I had w/ my 295/70/17 tires when I had the stock fenders/liners and those euro bumper inserts still on was those plastic euro pieces, but this was with 17x8.5 +10 offset wheels so YMMV :)
Fair point, I had aftermarket bumpers.

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys

Is the worry on 295/70/17 the extra width over 285/70/17 more than the additional height? (due to the axle). If so what would you be rubbing? I see people mention it but just realized I don't know what's actually going to be rubbed. I have take off suspension, fenders, and after market bumpers, but stock axle.

Part of the reason I'm asking is I saw a couple used 285/75/17s as another option, and tire size indicates those are taller than 285/70/17 (and 295/70/17), but the same width as 285/70/17. Thus I think they'd be ok since I have more room to grow up than in, but want to be sure.
Sponsored

Last edited: