Sponsored

293 Miles on new JL and already have my first CEL

Notty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon; 2018 Ford Raptor; 2018 Honda Civic Type R
So this isn't exactly the post I wanted to be making right now, especially with less than 300 miles on the odometer. We have been in love with our new JL for the last two days but have now hit an issue. My wife drove it home from work, approximately 5 miles, an parked it in the garage with no problems . We had dinner and about an hour or so later we went to go for a drive. When I started the Jeep we got a CEL along with the below warnings on the Connect system. I am in the middle of disconnecting the battery and attempting to clear the code but if it comes back I will be at the dealer tomorrow. Fun times :(

IMG_0617.HEIC.jpeg
IMG_0618.jpg
IMG_0619.jpg
IMG_0620.jpg
IMG_0621.jpg
Sponsored

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
I'm kind of glad I'm spending one last summer with the Mustang before ordering for winter even though I obsess over the Wrangler every single minute of every single day :headbang:

iflyimpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Volkswagen Tiguan 2.0T, JLU Sport S
Sorry to hear about the CEL! Let us know how it goes (if you do end up getting it checked out).

Sponsored

OP
OP
Notty

Notty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok so some good news on this for now. A quick battery disconnect/ECU reset cleared the code and an approximate 20 mile drive was successful with no CEL returning. I am hoping this was just a glitch in the software, but I will be monitoring it closely for sure. If it does return I will be sure to have it checked at the dealer before clearing it. So for now, my fingers are crossed this was just a false alarm. Now back to our regularly scheduled programming of enjoying our Jeeps and drooling over them. :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

OP
OP
Notty

Notty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hopefully just a loose gas cap for you.
Yeah that was the first thing I checked. I was hoping it was that simple but it wasn't the gas cap. But luckily I have cleared the code for now. We shall see how it goes.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah that was the first thing I checked. I was hoping it was that simple but it wasn't the gas cap. But luckily I have cleared the code for now. We shall see how it goes.
Could be crappy gas, too, causing a sensor to trigger the CEL. Put some good, Top Tier gas like Shell or Chevron in it and see what happens. Maybe just a fluke, as you said. I'd also check the oil level.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Notty

Notty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Get a cheap bluetooth OBD2 dongle on amazon so you can run the code with your phone using Torque.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll be grabbing that from Amazon tonight.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll be grabbing that from Amazon tonight.
One thing I liked about the JK, is that it had a code reader built right into it. It shows the code right in the odometer display. I wonder if there is something like that in the JL?

Scottroxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR
Occupation
Poet
Vehicle Showcase
I would scan the code. Had a cyl head fail in the first few thousand miles on a JK.

OP
OP
Notty

Notty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That sounds interesting. Would it be an app that does that? A wire from phone to OBDII, or bluetooth + a separate plug in port?
I just looked this up as I hadn't seen it before. It looks like you plug a OBDII dongle into the vehicle that is enabled for Wi-Fi or bluetooth. You then download an app to your phone, connect the app to the dongle via Wi-Fi or bluetooth, and once connected you can read codes, reset them, etc. I will be purchasing this setup ASAP.
Sponsored