Sponsored

285/75r17 on Sahara

marcdm

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara... preceded by 2012 JKU Sahara, Multiple CJ's, TJ's even XJ, WJ & WK2... yup, Always loved my jeeps :)
SnellDog - this gives you an idea of what I was trying to recreate. This is the 2nd of my CJ's. It had black hard top / accents. Inside was black rhino lined from firewall through all jams. Eventually, I wanted the 7069 in the 15" - but the OutlawII were period specific and brushed finish. Never been one for a hot shine on any of my Jeeps~

My favorite part of the new JL is the grill. It really is inspired by the CJ's

IMG_2757.JPG

IMG_2854.JPG

IMG_4580.JPG
Sponsored

snelldogg

First Name
greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GC Sahara ETA 2/3
Marc, that CJ is awesome! So I did go with the 285/75 and at least so far I don'r regret it. I did also do C (6ply) so should stay soft. I get its bound to be louder with those treads than stock (maybe not much louder than KO2s but I wouldn't know). Love the idea of a black grill. Will have to think on that one.

Like you i will do the filler door before long. Only other things i know i will do in time is steel bumpers, a small bar on the front., and some lights. The mod bug is real!

marcdm

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara... preceded by 2012 JKU Sahara, Multiple CJ's, TJ's even XJ, WJ & WK2... yup, Always loved my jeeps :)
Well you have a great start. I really wish the KO2 was available in the C ply at that size. That was ultimately what lead to my choice. I remain pleased with the ride and footprint. Though, once I move on suspension, I think my options are the 315 if the 285/70 prove too small at that point.

Congrats again on the first mod~ Makes for a meaningful change!

Marc, that CJ is awesome! So I did go with the 285/75 and at least so far I don'r regret it. I did also do C (6ply) so should stay soft. I get its bound to be louder with those treads than stock (maybe not much louder than KO2s but I wouldn't know). Love the idea of a black grill. Will have to think on that one.

Like you i will do the filler door before long. Only other things i know i will do in time is steel bumpers, a small bar on the front., and some lights. The mod bug is real!

OP
OP
MacBigButt

MacBigButt

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Leaf, 2018 JL Unlimited Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
0B83F907-506A-4029-9528-6FBB3B0FFB77.jpeg
New shoes complete. Thanks Mac for showing me the way!
That looks absolutely awesome and the rims are perfect for that color!

I think you got a hit!

Bingy

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU
Yeah outstanding snelldogg, I was thinking about the 285/70/17, but I think I will go with the 285/75/17 like you. I think it will fit well on the Sahara and some off roading shouldn't be an issue since I do not rock Krawl :)

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
So maybe I missed it.. what's the weight of one of these tires on the rim? 100 lbs? Those puppies gotta' be heavy.

snelldogg

First Name
greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GC Sahara ETA 2/3
So maybe I missed it.. what's the weight of one of these tires on the rim? 100 lbs? Those puppies gotta' be heavy.
I believe tires are 64 and rims are 24 so 88. What is stock on a Rubi? Cant be less than 75lbs

OP
OP
MacBigButt

MacBigButt

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Tires are about the same as the stock rubicon. Not sure about the weight of the stock Rubicon rim but can't imagine its substantially less than 24lbs.

snelldogg

First Name
greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GC Sahara ETA 2/3
So loving the wheels and tires. If being totally honest i wish they didn't poke quite so much but i will come around on it.

rear cam.jpg

Anyone else have this? Any remedy for the wheel blocking some of the camera?

OP
OP
MacBigButt

MacBigButt

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Same as mine. It doesn't seem to really change the useful view and I got used to it quickly.

Sponsored

marcdm

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not sure if you plan on any suspension mods. If so, you will be grateful for that wider stance as it will offset the change to your center of gravity. My prime desire in those front photos I wanted to see was to insure that the stance would in fact widen well enough to account for lift. The current Mopar appears to provide greater lift then the same JK mopar 2” kit. I’ll be interested to see how much if at all it settles. In my experience, a tucked in wheel on lifted Jeep feels way too tippy for my tastes.

My .02$ is I love the stance of your changes. (Haha, I better right?? Same combo)
So loving the wheels and tires. If being totally honest i wish they didn't poke quite so much but i will come around on it.

rear cam.jpg

Anyone else have this? Any remedy for the wheel blocking some of the camera?

snelldogg

First Name
greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GC Sahara ETA 2/3
Thanks Marc. Not planning on lifting it but do like the stance. Like I said, i will get used to it for sure. Not disappointied! All good!

Atomic Anvil

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.atomicanvil.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mercedes Benz CLA 250 Sport
Occupation
Technology Consultant & Professional Photographer
Vehicle Showcase
So I finally took delivery and then immediately swapped out the stocks to KMC XD Monster 2's with Nitto Ridge Grappler 285/75x17's. The run and fit great, but the extra weight on the tire carrier is freaking me the hell out.

At 65 lbs for the tire and 31 lbs for the wheel, I would usually say close enough; however, I have it snugged as tight as I can get it, and it's not even close to touching the rubber anti-vibration mounts on the tailgate. I am actually considering taking it off just to be safe.

Driver's-34.jpg

Front.jpg

OP
OP
MacBigButt

MacBigButt

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks Marc. Not planning on lifting it but do like the stance. Like I said, i will get used to it for sure. Not disappointied! All good!
Same with me and from the experience of others it sounds like a 0 offset works well but I've come to love the stance and I'm super impressed by the tire. Only problem is that after taking a picture like this:

0yc9y5JZQaaK90hkPM8XAg.jpg

I got caught in the squall you see in the upper right and ended up looking like this

k%AOIVJkQTOcz4FkcV%FvA.jpg

Need more mud flap!

OP
OP
MacBigButt

MacBigButt

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So I finally took delivery and then immediately swapped out the stocks to KMC XD Monster 2's with Nitto Ridge Grappler 285/75x17's. The run and fit great, but the extra weight on the tire carrier is freaking me the hell out.

At 65 lbs for the tire and 31 lbs for the wheel, I would usually say close enough; however, I have it snugged as tight as I can get it, and it's not even close to touching the rubber anti-vibration mounts on the tailgate. I am actually considering taking it off just to be safe.
Apparently this is a common problem on JKs as well and there are lots of DIY solutions to extend the spare tire bump stop. Mostly involving a piece of PVC tubing stuffed into the bump stop. There is an aftermarket JK part that I bought off Ebay but was unable to get it into the existing hole.

My spare tire is now riding in the back, but not because of concern over the weight, but because I couldn't get the damn thing back on the carrier. I have a plan though that involves my motorcycle lift.
Sponsored