285/75r17 on Sahara

snelldogg

First Name
greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GC Sahara ETA 2/3
How are you mounting the back spare tire? Im putting 34s on my new JL and im looking for a good affordable mount solution.

thank you and your jeep is niceeeeeee
Mine fit without issue and thanks!
Sponsored

dteran

First Name
diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
$80? More like $600! And I don't think it is needed.

The JK extended bumpers work but for the ones I found I had to trim the insert piece to fit the smaller hole in the JL. Hockey pucks work well to from what I've seen googling "wrangler spare tire bump stop"
well. you only really need the relocator no?
https://www.extremeterrain.com/rough-country-spare-tire-relocation-bracket-2018-jl.html

and of course if needed the rubber bumpers.

I ended up going with a
2.5 lift + shocks
rockstar 3 wheels
24" nitto grapplers

getting it all installed next friday :D

excited!

Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura MDX 2015, Ford F150, Honda Odyssey,
34" should fit on the stock mount. If you have a tire with different offset than stock you may need to put large rubber bumpers on.

I also ended up putting the tailgate reinforcement kit on but I really don't think it was necessary.
Quick question about the tailgate reinforcement kit... Do you need both the tailgate reinforcement kit and the relocation accessory for it to work with a 32-34” tire or is the tailgate reinforcement enough? There seems to be two parts and some websites make it sound like you need both.

Birdman

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler JL
Quick question about the tailgate reinforcement kit... Do you need both the tailgate reinforcement kit and the relocation accessory for it to work with a 32-34” tire or is the tailgate reinforcement enough? There seems to be two parts and some websites make it sound like you need both.
Save money and Just get the relocation bracket I did ,the new JL tailgate can hold up to 35” tire weight no problem.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Save money and Just get the relocation bracket I did ,the new JL tailgate can hold up to 35” tire weight no problem.
I put rubicon jl takeoff wheels/tires(32.6" diameter) on my sport s and the spare barely fits and sits 1/2" above the rear bumper. How are people saying a 285/75/17 will fit as a spare on a sport s without resting on the rear bumper? The 285/75/17 nitto ridge grappler is 33.86" diameter adding slightly over 1/2" to the tire radius meaning the tire would be touching the bumper. Is this ok to touch the bumper and am I miscalculating something? I'd like to go to this tire in class c or a 315/70/17 ko2 class c.

Sponsored

Birdman

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler JL
You need the relocation bracket had I now got it I would not have fit my 35 see pic.

44B5E856-BD39-4C6A-A2C3-5221A08AC2D4.jpeg

18BE2AF1-C719-4144-A02E-CAA30CA11539.jpeg

Vedder

First Name
Shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara Unlimited
Great thread!

I’m about to throw on a similar set up. I’m a little confused why everyone seems to be running negative offset wheels. My measurements indicate an offset of 30 would be ideal or 18 at best. Am I missing something?

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Great thread!

I’m about to throw on a similar set up. I’m a little confused why everyone seems to be running negative offset wheels. My measurements indicate an offset of 30 would be ideal or 18 at best. Am I missing something?
A few reasons why negative offsets are chosen, gives you a wider track for more stability in off camber situations, and most of the wheels available come in 0 to negative offsets, wider tires often need more inner clearance to clear the frame, etc.

Should be able to run up to a 35x12.5 on offsets in the +20s from what I've read. For me I'd prefer to have the tires with minimal rubber outside the fender edge, so I went w/ a 18x 8.5 +10 on 295/70s

Sponsored

Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura MDX 2015, Ford F150, Honda Odyssey,
No your not off. The wheels available right now are not specifically made for the JL so the offsets for many cool wheels are not ideal.

Depending on tire width, an offset between 0 and +18 is probably best.

Keep in mind that the axles on the Rubicon are 1.5” wider pushing the wheels out about 3/4” on each side. So if you take Rubicon take off wheels and put them on your Sahara, from an aesthetic POV you are adding another +18mm or so of offset compared to how these look on an actual rubicon.

Because this site is overwhelmingly full of rubicon posts consider that for a Sahara, you need to reduce offset another 18mm to get the look you see on many of the images shared by rubi owners.

That’s why I am suggesting an offset of 0 to +18. Instead of +18 to +30.

Vedder

First Name
Shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara Unlimited
No your not off. The wheels available right now are not specifically made for the JL so the offsets for many cool wheels are not ideal.

Keep in mind that the axles on the Rubicon are 1.5” wider pushing the wheels out about 3/4” on each side. So if you take Rubicon take off wheels and put them on your Sahara, from an aesthetic POV you are adding another +18mm or so of offset compared to how these look on an actual rubicon.

Because this site is overwhelmingly full of rubicon posts consider that for a Sahara, you need to reduce offset another 18mm to get the look you see on many of the images shared by rubi owners.

There’s 2 Sarah’s on this forum running 285/70/18 on stock 44.5 offset rims with no issues apparently. That’s a bit to close for comfort for me. My math and measurements indicate an offset of 30 should put the tires right where I want them. An increase of 30 mm in tire width (15 mm closer to the suspension) shouldn’t require me to move my wheel out 26-44 mm further out. It took awhile but I did manage to find a handful of wheels with an offset if 30 and maybe a dozen with and offset of 18.

Vedder

First Name
Shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara Unlimited

But I do agree with 18 though. I think 18 is as low as I will go but I’m probably going to try 30. I’ll let you know how it turns out. Good or bad lol.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
But I do agree with 18 though. I think 18 is as low as I will go but I’m probably going to try 30. I’ll let you know how it turns out. Good or bad lol.
Could always add a small spacer if you need a bit more room, better than being too far out w/ nothing you can do :)

michael614

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Found this comment on YouTube from someone claiming to be on the Mopar Jeep Performance Parts engineering team:

"Finally, I see a question about wheels. All of the JPP wheels for Wrangler (Beadlock, Geared and Gladiator) have the proper 12mm offset. This is different than the production wheels. The 12mm offset give you the proper clearance for the tire in turns and articulation. Some folks use spacers but we wouldn't recommend it....plus the JPP wheels all look great."

This may be helpful information for deciding what wheels and tires to purchase. Specifically, this person mentions 12 mm being the proper offset. I'm currently in the process of researching for a new wheel and tire purchase for my Sahara, so I thought I'd share. Thanks to all for your great posts!

Link to the YouTube video I referenced above:
Sponsored