Dangitbilly

Dangitbilly

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Sting Gray Sport. 285/75/17 2.5 inch rough county lift.

6EDB706B-3E82-4ADE-9A3D-CA1E7F5BE8A2.jpeg
That looks awesome! Love the color! I also got the RC 2.5 lift. I added 1.5 wheel spacers as well.

DSC02962.JPG
DSC03024.JPG
DSC02956.JPG
DSC02881.JPG
DSC02868.JPG
DSC03079.JPG

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
Looks like mine is in the 18 MPG range now, and was showing 22.5 when I had the stock tires removed. So I lost about 4 MPGs which is similar to what you have seen. I knew I'd lose some. I was hoping it wouldn't be that much. Lol. These things decimate fuel economy.
It's probably not as bad as you think. The dash mpg data is inaccurate with the larger diameter tires.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
It's probably not as bad as you think. The dash mpg data is inaccurate with the larger diameter tires.
Mine isn't. I have a Tazer JL.

But, funny you mention this because yesterday I actually looked at hard numbers that I've collected via fuelly.com since May of this year, and it appears that the actual decrease that I've seen is between 2.5 and 3.0 miles per gallon.

So, that's less than $50/month being spent on fuel to run these tires. Kind of sucks, but as the old saying goes, "you gotta' pay if you wanna' play."

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dangitbilly

Dangitbilly

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Where did you get the headlight/grille inserts for the Sport?
I purchased it on Ebay, however Amazon now sells them, & in the matte black as well.
I have a short youtube video on it, the purchase links are in the video description.

Thanks,

OP
OP
Dangitbilly

Dangitbilly

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don’t have a spare mounted yet. But seems you will need a relocation bracket. Rough country.
I dont think the RC relocation bracket will be required. I'm not sure if Nitto runs slightly larger than BFGs or not.. But i know some people have ran 35s with it barely touching the plastic bumper. My BFG 285/75r17 cleared just fine with a little room to spare. I just added the RC relo-bracket because i wanted some more room for my rotopax setup. I also like the look with the tire raised.

IMG_20180710_153442_911.jpg

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
That looks awesome! Love the color! I also got the RC 2.5 lift. I added 1.5 wheel spacers as well.

DSC02962.JPG
DSC03024.JPG
DSC02956.JPG
DSC02881.JPG
DSC02868.JPG
DSC03079.JPG
Looks great...were you rubbing before adding spacers? On my jlus, I'd like to go to these 34"x11.50 tires or 35"x12.50 tires on stock wheels without spacers. My sport has a takeoff rubicon suspension/wheels/tires(bfg AT 285/70/17) and the suspension added 1.75" of lift and the wheels havent rubbed at all when flexing. I think the 35x12.5 would rub the fenders due to width and it seems not recommended to put a 35 on a 7.5" wide wheel. The 34x11.50 seems like a great compromise. Thoughts?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dangitbilly

Dangitbilly

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks great...were you rubbing before adding spacers? On my jlus, I'd like to go to these 34"x11.50 tires or 35"x12.50 tires on stock wheels without spacers. My sport has a takeoff rubicon suspension/wheels/tires(bfg AT 285/70/17) and the suspension added 1.75" of lift and the wheels havent rubbed at all when flexing. I think the 35x12.5 would rub the fenders due to width and it seems not recommended to put a 35 on a 7.5" wide wheel. The 34x11.50 seems like a great compromise. Thoughts?
Didnt rub before adding spacers. It was really cosmetic than anything. I think you'll be fine running a 35x12.50 with your setup. The 34s have been great. i still have plenty of space, if my tires were an inch wider, im pretty sure it would still clear without issue. I personally would like to go larger, plenty of people on here have ran 315/70r17 without issue.

Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura MDX 2015, Ford F150, Honda Odyssey,
Didnt rub before adding spacers. It was really cosmetic than anything. I think you'll be fine running a 35x12.50 with your setup. The 34s have been great. i still have plenty of space, if my tires were an inch wider, im pretty sure it would still clear without issue. I personally would like to go larger, plenty of people on here have ran 315/70r17 without issue.
Hi Billy,

Thanks so much for all the info. Its been immensely helpful. I have a 2019 Moab on the way and I'm thinking of your set up as well as the slightly larger 315/70R17's on a 8" wheel with a +30 offset. I'd like to know what you think. With the +30 offset, the larger tires would be just 0.3" closer to the fenders and just .05" closer to the frame and suspension. Two main reasons for wanting this alternate set up is that I can get it in the C load rating and it comes with the raised white lettering option (which I love). Curious what you think about rub as well as tailgate fit.

Here's the calculator comparison to what you're running...

upload_2018-10-8_10-55-48.png

OP
OP
Dangitbilly

Dangitbilly

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi Billy,

Thanks so much for all the info. Its been immensely helpful. I have a 2019 Moab on the way and I'm thinking of your set up as well as the slightly larger 315/70R17's on a 8" wheel with a +30 offset. I'd like to know what you think. With the +30 offset, the larger tires would be just 0.3" closer to the fenders and just .05" closer to the frame and suspension. Two main reasons for wanting this alternate set up is that I can get it in the C load rating and it comes with the raised white lettering option (which I love). Curious what you think about rub as well as tailgate fit.

Here's the calculator comparison to what you're running...

upload_2018-10-8_10-55-48.png
Very nice! I think the 315/70r17s will be a great choice especially in Load range C. I have load range E, its definitely stiffer than stock but doesn't bother me too much. If i had to do it over again, id probably go with load range C. Your tailgate will hold up fine. [Banned Site] is a popular youtuber, and he has 8.5 inch beadlocks with a 37x13.50 tire and his tailgate is good. Heck another youtube LiteBright has 38" tires on 8.5 inch MB wheels, and they wheel hard and they're tailgate looks to be okay. Rubbing should be fine, with none to very little. if you were to throw them on the stock wheels, it would be fine. I still have room left at full lock and flex. So i know if i threw the 315/70s on it wouldn't rub. I'm not the best when it comes to offset, but i believe the offset on the stock wheel is +44, so anything smaller then that would work. So +30 offset should fit just fine and they would barely stick out past the fenders, if not lay pretty close to flush Anything with an offset greater than +44 would mean the wheel would be tucked way too far into the fender, and that would look goofy.

Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura MDX 2015, Ford F150, Honda Odyssey,
A
Very nice! I think the 315/70r17s will be a great choice especially in Load range C. I have load range E, its definitely stiffer than stock but doesn't bother me too much. If i had to do it over again, id probably go with load range C. Your tailgate will hold up fine. [Banned Site] is a popular youtuber, and he has 8.5 inch beadlocks with a 37x13.50 tire and his tailgate is good. Heck another youtube LiteBright has 38" tires on 8.5 inch MB wheels, and they wheel hard and they're tailgate looks to be okay. Rubbing should be fine, with none to very little. if you were to throw them on the stock wheels, it would be fine. I still have room left at full lock and flex. So i know if i threw the 315/70s on it wouldn't rub. I'm not the best when it comes to offset, but i believe the offset on the stock wheel is +44, so anything smaller then that would work. So +30 offset should fit just fine and they would barely stick out past the fenders, if not lay pretty close to flush Anything with an offset greater than +44 would mean the wheel would be tucked way too far into the fender, and that would look goofy.
Thanks again! You are giving me the confidence I need to pull the trigger. I've been worried this wouldn't work without a lift (and I don't want to get a lift). I've got some weeks to wait till the Jeep is built but at least I can stop mulling this over.

Jcaron9gt4

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WRX | 2018 JLU Sport S 6 Speed
Just had my Nitto Ridge Grapplers installed. 285/75r17. No rubbing, although have only driven on pavement so far. The spare fits, however rubs a little bit when closing the tailgate. I have a RC relocation bracket on the way, but glad that I was able to fit it on the spare carrier for now. Next up is a slight lift, still need to watch the overall height as I'm limited to 6'4" garage at work...I think I will be okay with a 2" lift.
IMG_6427.jpg
IMG_6429.jpg
IMG_6428.jpg
Sponsored