Dangitbilly

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Stock 2018 JL Sport S.
285/75/R17 BF Goodrich All Terrain KO2 on stock wheels with no spacers. NOTE: These are 285/75/R17.

Discount tire only had 4 in stock, 5th tire is on route.

Tires clear, no rubbing on full lock when driving. Doesnt hit the frame, nor the plastics.. even with the ugly euro splash guard/bumper cover and air dam. Doesn't rub whatsoever on normal driving conditions. Haven't taken her off road yet, but will soon and will post updates. Will install a lift soon but with current stock height. No rubbing issues at all. Definitely sits higher than stock. Didn't measure for myself. However these tires have a little more than 2inches diameter increase compared to stock.

Other additions are Rough Country nerf bar side steps, plasti-dipped front tow hooks.

Drives smooth, can't feel a difference in power. Braking does feel slightly different as im pushing on it slightly harder. SLIGHTLY. But its barely a difference and not enough for concern.

Drove it 50+ miles on hwy, and maybe averaged 1 miles less per galon.. if that.. i drive 60 mph like a grandma with a very light foot.

Gone over speed bumps and a curb just for fun.. no rubbing on fenders.. still plenty of room.

20180526_172907.jpg

20180526_172832.jpg

20180526_172824.jpg

20180526_172846.jpg
Sponsored

abecker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Where are the after shots?

OP
OP
Dangitbilly

Dangitbilly

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Where are the after shots?
They're in the initial post. I guess its kinda hard to tell over photos, but in person there's a huge difference. Before and after again.

20180524_090414.jpg

20180526_172833.jpg

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Thanks for posting this. I ordered the same tires yesterday before I saw this thread and I was a little concerned about possible rubbing, especially in the rear near the shocks and liners.

These tires are listed at 61 lbs., which is nearly double what my stock tires weigh at 35 lbs. So, I fully expect that my fuel economy is going to be destroyed. But at least I know that they're going to fit. Thanks.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dangitbilly

Dangitbilly

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Removed the bumper euro splash guards to show off the tires. Happy with the look. Also edited the lighting in the photo to better show the new tire size difference.
20180527_153100.jpg

20180527_183621.jpg

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
Nice job. That looks great!

lookitsadam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Looks awesome! I'm thinking of getting the same tires and the Rough Country 2.5in lift. My shop told me I should also upgrade the wheels, but I like the look of the stock wheel (will paint them black) so it's good to know no additional spacer/offset is needed.

Have you noticed the speedometer off at all?

OP
OP
Dangitbilly

Dangitbilly

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks awesome! I'm thinking of getting the same tires and the Rough Country 2.5in lift. My shop told me I should also upgrade the wheels, but I like the look of the stock wheel (will paint them black) so it's good to know no additional spacer/offset is needed.

Have you noticed the speedometer off at all?
Thanks! I think a 2.5 inch lift will look great.
Speedo is off by about 4mph, when my speedo is reading 30, i measured with an app, and I'm really going 33/34mph. When my speedo reads 65mph, i'm gong about 69-70mph.

I will probably get it reprogrammed down the road, but i'm in no hurry.

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Can you comment on your dash MPGs before and after the tires? Do you reset your MPGs on the dash each time you fill up? I find it's pretty accurate. I'd love to know how much MPG you lost after the tires according to the dash display. Thanks.

OP
OP
Dangitbilly

Dangitbilly

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can you comment on your dash MPGs before and after the tires? Do you reset your MPGs on the dash each time you fill up? I find it's pretty accurate. I'd love to know how much MPG you lost after the tires according to the dash display. Thanks.
I can tell you i drove ~170 miles down from Seattle to Portland on stock tires. i reset my TRIP A and throughout the trip down and i got my MPG to show 26 MPG easily, and at the most 27.4 mpg. Drove around 60-65 mph the entire time.

Now I got the tires in Portland Oregon, on the trip home back up to Seattle, I again reset my TRIP B, and throughout the trip my MPG were reading 23 MPG, the best i could get it to read was 23.5, and that was again around 60 mph, no matter economically i drove, i couldn't get it to the 24 MPG range, so it looks like i did loose a few, but considering the stance and a little lift i get, i am okay with that.

20180526_092537.jpg

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Sounds like you lost about 3 MPG highway.

That's pretty rough. That will likely translate to about 4 MPG combined for folks who do a mix of city/highway every week.

Assuming the 20 MPG combined that the window sticker shows in stock form, and assuming 1500 miles per month, at current prices of gas that's $195/month. Dropping to 16 MPG would increase fuel costs to $243/month. That's nearly $50 bucks per month additional cost, just by switching tires. Ouch.

I did go onto my fuelly.com account and look back in time at my 2011 and 2012 JKUs to see how my MPGs changed on those Jeeps when I switched from stock tires to larger 285/75-16s and 33x12.50-15s and it appears that on those Jeeps, my combined MPG numbers fell roughly 2.5 to 3.0 after the switch, which is pretty similar to what you're reporting with your JLU.

Thanks for the info. The tires look great and will perform great on these Jeeps in foul weather and offroad. But for those who commute a lot, you may want to keep in mind that it's going to cost you money every time you turn the key.

After I get mine installed and get some good data under my belt (which will take several weeks or more) I'll post up my results in this thread also, just to supplement what Dangitbilly has already showed us.

OP
OP
Dangitbilly

Dangitbilly

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like you lost about 3 MPG highway.

That's pretty rough. That will likely translate to about 4 MPG combined for folks who do a mix of city/highway every week.

Assuming the 20 MPG combined that the window sticker shows in stock form, and assuming 1500 miles per month, at current prices of gas that's $195/month. Dropping to 16 MPG would increase fuel costs to $243/month. That's nearly $50 bucks per month additional cost, just by switching tires. Ouch.

I did go onto my fuelly.com account and look back in time at my 2011 and 2012 JKUs to see how my MPGs changed on those Jeeps when I switched from stock tires to larger 285/75-16s and 33x12.50-15s and it appears that on those Jeeps, my combined MPG numbers fell roughly 2.5 to 3.0 after the switch, which is pretty similar to what you're reporting with your JLU.

Thanks for the info. The tires look great and will perform great on these Jeeps in foul weather and offroad. But for those who commute a lot, you may want to keep in mind that it's going to cost you money every time you turn the key.

After I get mine installed and get some good data under my belt (which will take several weeks or more) I'll post up my results in this thread also, just to supplement what Dangitbilly has already showed us.
I also want to add, on the trip back, i did add a 100 pound girlfriend in the car with me on the trip home to Seattle, was picking her up in portland.. not sure if the 100 pound difference made that much of an impact on MPG, But still wanted to mention it :)

abecker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I also want to add, on the trip back, i did add a 100 pound girlfriend in the car with me on the trip home to Seattle, was picking her up in portland.. not sure if the 100 pound difference made that much of an impact on MPG, But still wanted to mention it :)
Was your trip there slightly downhill. I’m impressed at hitting over 27mpg.
Sponsored