Sponsored

285/ 70- R17 BFG KO2 or Nitto Ridge Grapplers?

OP
OP
steelerpsugirl

steelerpsugirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Sport S
Congratulations! And *thumbs up* as i have been a fan of Generals for decades going back to the 1960s when I purchased my first set for a '62 Chevy Nova SS. In the mid-70s, I purchased another set --the first radial tire I had purchased-- for a 1972 Mazda 616 that for some reason had bias-ply tires. What a difference in handling I remember it being going from bias-ply to a radial ...after that, I was hooked on radials for sure but also on General Tires.

I'm an old fart so many of you probably don't remember the "Sooner or Later You'll Own Generals" advertising song ...I think it was around the early 70s when it was popular (GO HERE to hear it on youtube). It sticks in my mind to this day and find myself singing it to myself every time I buy tires! LOL --as the last set I purchased was for my Subaru Outback (50k+ miles and they still look new).

I have owned two sets of Grabbers for pickups I've had in the past and liked them. They gave years of service with long tread life and just a great tire all around. Never had a flat with any of the Generals I've owned but that has really nothing to do with tire itself ...just luck. Nonetheless, it just gives me another small justification to keep considering Generals when shopping for tires.

You made a good choice in my opinion. Since you said you purchased at Tire Rack, you've seen their survey rating results but I'll take a quick screen shot for others who might be interested in the comparison with the KO2. And like the KO2, they're made in the U.S. Plus, the Grabber A/TX is more than $30 LESS money per tire.

And here's a recent review from FourWheeler mag on the Grabber A/TX using a TJ:

General Grabber A/Tx Tire Review

genera tire.png

From TireRack BFG KO2:
KO2.png

From TireRack General Grabber A/TX:
General Grabber.png

...and no, I'm no, I don't work for General but just a fan :P
you just made me feel even better about my decision- thank you!! The tire rack comparisons and the pros’ reviews sealed the deal. I was concerned about the KO2s in rain from a friend’s experience and reviews. These seem to perform all around better. Thanks so much for your feedback!! ✌🏼
Sponsored

roamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subie outback toad, pusher motorhome
( side note --nothing to do with the new tires you'll be getting but when I mentioned singing to myself that General Tire advertising jingle, I had no idea what words I was actually singing other than "Someday you'll own, someday you'll own, sooner or later you'll own Generals!" However, now that I listen to it on that youtube clip more closely, I can't even make out what some of those lyrics are ...it's like singing a song that you don't quite remember the lyrics and just say anything that kind of fits in, LOL.

I can make out what sounds like "Remember your dad with a new car and the tires wouldn't do, he traded for Generals right away..." but the next stanza I have no idea what is being sung and all I can do is sing it this way:

..."or if it was Monsk on a mean date you'd take her along, and General 's the worm you bought that day" ...???

Anybody who has the time, clue me in on what the hell is being sung in that last passage as I'm just really bad at interpreting song lyrics or even a person's speech sometimes, ...you can DM me if you'd like so we don't clutter this tread up with this off-topic garbage. Man, I've got too much time on my hands when I'm trying to figure out the lyrics to a 50 year old General Tire jingle, hah! )

OP
OP
steelerpsugirl

steelerpsugirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Got the 285 70/R17 General Grabber ATX put on yesterday! Definitely happy with how they fill the wheel well more and the stance that’s wide enough to give me the look I was after! Haven’t driven a ton yet, but the ride home from the tire place they were very quiet. Biggest thing I noticed was that they didn’t miss a beat going over a bump that usually my other vehicle would feel and seemed to absorb it. I’ll update as I drive more for those interested! Thanks again everyone for the feedback and help as I researched!

B401A348-9937-46BF-9548-3574DC75D567.jpeg

3270130C-3F8C-4266-B350-879C9BC5A4C4.jpeg

75A846F4-8B26-451D-B175-4B58538CFE1B.jpeg

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Got the 285 70/R17 General Grabber ATX put on yesterday! Definitely happy with how they fill the wheel well more and the stance that’s wide enough to give me the look I was after! Haven’t driven a ton yet, but the ride home from the tire place they were very quiet. Biggest thing I noticed was that they didn’t miss a beat going over a bump that usually my other vehicle would feel and seemed to absorb it. I’ll update as I drive more for those interested! Thanks again everyone for the feedback and help as I researched!
WINNING!!!

Lioska

First Name
Alioscha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma
Vehicle Showcase

Jeep Wrangler JL 285/ 70- R17 BFG KO2 or Nitto Ridge Grapplers? 75A846F4-8B26-451D-B175-4B58538CFE1B

Jeep Wrangler JL 285/ 70- R17 BFG KO2 or Nitto Ridge Grapplers? 75A846F4-8B26-451D-B175-4B58538CFE1B

The tires look pretty sweet, good choice.

Mwags

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler unlimited JLU Sport S
I have Ridge Grapplers as well.....Love the look and ride.....no complaints

FireWorxFire

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fireworxfire.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
We have had both tires in different sizes on the Jeeps and Trucks. Both do well. Winter storm last year in Colorado was brutal and the Grapplers didn't miss a step. Same thing happened this year with the 37 KO2 and no issues. KO2s do look smaller btw

Sponsored

RidgeRider

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Have had Ridge Grapplers (37x12.5) for nearly 10k miles with over 400 hard CO and UT trail miles with several rated 6 on the Moab scale. They have been great in all conditions so far. While there have been no issues in the snow/ice, it was tough to walk away from the KO2 snow rating.

roamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subie outback toad, pusher motorhome
Congratulations! Looks great on your rig. All I can say is "sooner or later you'll own Generals" :P

AdamG

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLSportS
Are the Grabbers E-range only? Concerned they’ll be too rough on a 2dr.

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
Well after looking at those two I did lots and lots of research and went with the General Grabber ATX- so neither of the original two. Got incredible reviews over all terrains and conditions and rated for severe snow. Excellent price through Tire Rack and shipping right to the installer. Will let you know how I like them when they are put on! Supposed to get a ton of snow so I’m hoping I can get them on and installed before that to try them 🤞🏻
you wont be disappointed. Especially at about 35,000 miles when you compare them to a set of ko2’s Of same mileage.

those things took me all over eastern africa and i never had a single one fail.

good choice!

OP
OP
steelerpsugirl

steelerpsugirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are the Grabbers E-range only? Concerned they’ll be too rough on a 2dr.
They are. After driving around more on them I honestly don't notice any roughness at all. They seem very smooth to me and tighter on the road. I can definitely update you as I drive more, but I am pleased with them in the short period of time I've had with them!
Sponsored