Sponsored

285/ 70- R17 BFG KO2 or Nitto Ridge Grapplers?

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
I really feel like most of the top tires are all good. I've seen people with Nittos, Coopers, Milestar, Falken, BFG, all say they are great and perform well. I've personally had Nitto and Milestar and liked them both.
Sponsored

marcdm

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara... preceded by 2012 JKU Sahara, Multiple CJ's, TJ's even XJ, WJ & WK2... yup, Always loved my jeeps :)
I have run the KO and KO2's for 30+ years in a variety of sizes and thickness. For my purposes, they have done really well in the broadest use of conditions - Rain, ice and snow + dirt and gravel. As well, I like that the size you list comes in a C Ply.. which means you get a nice soft ride (important for nearly 50 year old backs)

On my JL, I originally considered the Ridge Grappler as it came in a C ply in a 285/75/17. I was looking into that size as an in between a 33 and a 35 knowing that I would eventually lift and believed the 285/70 would not fill the wheel well. Ultimately, I bought the 285/70 KO2 until I changed my suspension and then upgraded to the 315/70. In the end, I stayed with KO2 as I had used them in so many applications and was comfortable with it... but also because the Ridge Grappler was not a 3peak snow rated tire. I typically build my jeeps to get me in and out of Tahoe in any conditions... So that was the decider for me.

I cant imagine you would be unhappy with either... and I am likely just a creature of habit~

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
@steelerpsugirl just in case you weren't aware, here's that symbol for the snow rated symbol on the tire sidewall

Jeep Wrangler JL 285/ 70- R17 BFG KO2 or Nitto Ridge Grapplers? 1613448535574

stevepoz

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Firecracker Red JLUR
I replaced my stock 33” KO2 after 1200 miles and went with 315 Falken AT3Ws. So far very happy - I think they are quieter, maybe slightly better in the rain and while I can’t compare in snow the Falkens were great in the 6” of snow we got today in St. Louis. Falkens were also cheaper for me than Ridge Grapplers.

Sponsored

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
I've used both tires and found the Nittos to be a better wearing, better driving, tire in all conditions than the KO2s

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
For rain, out of the 2 you listed go with the BFGs. The Falken AT3w is also a great tire. Another one to look at would be the Firestone Destination AT3. Stay with a Load Range C. An E will give a rougher ride, even when aired down.​

Do not consider the Milestar Patagonia. It has a very soft compound which is great aired down on the trail, but bad for a general everyday tire. You’d be lucky to get 30k useful miles out of them.​

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
IMHO, the KO2s suck in the dirt, let alone any hint of moisture. Great street tire though.

I'm moving to a Cooper StMaxx 34"

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
The KO'2 are excellent in the rain. They do wear well, and are great for moderate trails. Zero complaints with these. They are also quiet on the road.
I have the stock Rubicon K02s. I agree the K02s are a great all around tire. Super quiet for a A/T tire. We have had a LOT of snow lately. The K02s are also pretty good in the snow.

OP
OP
steelerpsugirl

steelerpsugirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Sport S
I had the KO2 in the past and I just got the Nittos 33s 18 now, they are both great but I prefer the looks of the Nittos

Jeep Wrangler JL 285/ 70- R17 BFG KO2 or Nitto Ridge Grapplers? A861C5DC-25B8-41F7-829B-3F3CB507142B

Jeep Wrangler JL 285/ 70- R17 BFG KO2 or Nitto Ridge Grapplers? A861C5DC-25B8-41F7-829B-3F3CB507142B
Definitely drawn to the look of the Nittos but also don’t want to give up functionality. How have they been in the rain and have you seen any snow in them? They look great on your Jeep!

Sponsored

OP
OP
steelerpsugirl

steelerpsugirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have run the KO and KO2's for 30+ years in a variety of sizes and thickness. For my purposes, they have done really well in the broadest use of conditions - Rain, ice and snow + dirt and gravel. As well, I like that the size you list comes in a C Ply.. which means you get a nice soft ride (important for nearly 50 year old backs)

On my JL, I originally considered the Ridge Grappler as it came in a C ply in a 285/75/17. I was looking into that size as an in between a 33 and a 35 knowing that I would eventually lift and believed the 285/70 would not fill the wheel well. Ultimately, I bought the 285/70 KO2 until I changed my suspension and then upgraded to the 315/70. In the end, I stayed with KO2 as I had used them in so many applications and was comfortable with it... but also because the Ridge Grappler was not a 3peak snow rated tire. I typically build my jeeps to get me in and out of Tahoe in any conditions... So that was the decider for me.

I cant imagine you would be unhappy with either... and I am likely just a creature of habit~
thanks!

OP
OP
steelerpsugirl

steelerpsugirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you do a lot of driving in freezing temps, snow, and winter mix conditions a 3peak snow rated tire should be something to consider. The BFG K02s, Falken Wildpeak AT, those new Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT, Toyo Open Country AT3, and Goodyear Duratrac and Goodyear Ultra Terrain are all 3 Peak snow rated. Also most of those tires should get in the 45k mileage life too!
starting looking at the Fallen also now- thanks for the suggestion!

Dr. RGB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No longer own a Jeep
Clubs

If you can wait a couple months the newest Mickey Thompsons should check all your boxes, I'm waiting for them to launch in April to see if they're on my must-have list. I have a strong feeling they will be as Mickey Thompsons are always some of the best!
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/newest-mickey-thompsons-launching-in-april.65274/
Cooper STT Pros are another top tier choice, aggressive but don't really have many shortcomings.
I hope that the new MT Baja Boss come in the same specs as the ATZ P3 LT295/70R17, which can be mounted on a 7.5" rim.

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
Have a 2021 JLU Willys and hoping to get some info- looking at these two tires to replace my stock ones (no lift). Anyone have experience with these? Wondering about their performance in the rain especially as I've heard some mixed reviews as well as tread wear. Mostly using as my daily driver on the road but plan to do some easy/ moderate trails as well. Can't decide! I've had some other A/T tires (Terra Grappler, didn't like them and Pro Comp, performed well in all conditions) but want a more aggressive look like these two have and a bigger tire. Also have heard that the Nitto runs more true to 33" size and KO2s are a bit smaller. Anyway, any insight would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

IMG_8795.jpeg
not on your list, but I’d consider the General ATX. Runs truer to size than most other tires ive used in most sizes, and is IMO way better than the two you listed. Ive never used the nitto’s, but never been impressed with what ive seen from my buddy’s trucks with them on trail.

i have used ko2’s extensively, and had nothing but issues with them. Im in the minority of people who think that, but ive experienced too many failures with them to give them any more of money.

i have Falken at3w and like them, but will go back to General my next set.
Sponsored