Sponsored

275/70R18 or 275/65R18, what the difference on my stock Sahara 4xe?

Asterix2112

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler 4xe
My Sahara 4xe will come with 20" wheels. No thanks. Found some nice Fuel Off-Road Anza 18x9 Matte Bronze w/Black Ring 18" wheels that I think will look great with my Snazzleberry Wrangler. One site pairs them with 275/70R18's another with 275/65R18's. So I believe the only difference is the 70's are a little higher then the 65's. Both sites say they will fit on my stock Sahara. My question is what are the advantages/disadvantages to each? (Note I do 4x4 in loose sand each year and may do occasional beginner rock crawl, but nothing major)

Also the site with the 70's says my speedometer will need to re-calibrated. Do I need that for the 65's too (just the change from 20 to 18) and how do you do that?
Also what does ' Offset: +01mm' mean?

Thanks, - John
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
My Sahara 4xe will come with 20" wheels. No thanks. Found some nice Fuel Off-Road Anza 18x9 Matte Bronze w/Black Ring 18" wheels that I think will look great with my Snazzleberry Wrangler. One site pairs them with 275/70R18's another with 275/65R18's. So I believe the only difference is the 70's are a little higher then the 65's. Both sites say they will fit on my stock Sahara. My question is what are the advantages/disadvantages to each? (Note I do 4x4 in loose sand each year and may do occasional beginner rock crawl, but nothing major)

Also the site with the 70's says my speedometer will need to re-calibrated. Do I need that for the 65's too (just the change from 20 to 18) and how do you do that?
Also what does ' Offset: +01mm' mean?

Thanks, - John
Hi John,
Have you considered 17" wheels? You can find a better tire selection, typically cheaper, and give you a bit more sidewall height for a slightly better ride and better off road running.

If what you really want only comes in an 18 both those tire sizes will work fine, you can have it recalibrated by the dealer or get a Tazer Lite or tazer Mini and adjust them yourself. You can also just drive as-is and see if it's going to be a problem regarding shifting and the slight speedometer errors.

This is a good site for trying different tire/wheel sets
https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/

As far as offset, the more positive the offset the more the wheel will tuck into the fender, the less positive (going to negative) will push the wheel out. If your state has fender laws you have to be careful not to go too far out w/ offset. That +1 offset wheel should be pretty good in that regard but if you have laws need to confirm.