275/70 R18 on Stock Sahara Wheels

Koufax80

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I think I've read every wheel and tire post on this forum and still not 100% sure on what direction I want to go. Don't "need" to lift the Sahara, but wanted something more aggressive looking and that would provide improved offroad traction. Debated on changing the wheels, but didn't really want to spend the money on aftermarket wheels since I liked the look of the 18's, so... I went with the Toyo Open Country R/T on the stock Sahara wheels. Wish they were a tad wider, but overall pretty happy with the look and they drive great. Quiet, solid, ride. Thoughts? Convince me I don't need to buy aftermarket wheels??? Also, any concern on the additional weight on the tailgate? From what I can see, the tire is heavier, but the stock rim is lighter than most aftermarket 18's. Thanks!

Jeep Wrangler JL 275/70 R18 on Stock Sahara Wheels {filename}

Sponsored

LuckySe7eN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sahara
That looks great! Thinking of going the same route on my Sahara. Might blackout the wheels and trim first.

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
The only reasons to change rims:
You don't like them.
They are too narrow for the tires you want.
The backspacing is too close to the frame and your tires are rubbing on things.
You like to spend money.

Henrix123

First Name
Henrix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JRU Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I think I've read every wheel and tire post on this forum and still not 100% sure on what direction I want to go. Don't "need" to lift the Sahara, but wanted something more aggressive looking and that would provide improved offroad traction. Debated on changing the wheels, but didn't really want to spend the money on aftermarket wheels since I liked the look of the 18's, so... I went with the Toyo Open Country R/T on the stock Sahara wheels. Wish they were a tad wider, but overall pretty happy with the look and they drive great. Quiet, solid, ride. Thoughts? Convince me I don't need to buy aftermarket wheels??? Also, any concern on the additional weight on the tailgate? From what I can see, the tire is heavier, but the stock rim is lighter than most aftermarket 18's. Thanks!

Any rub at full flex?

Sponsored

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Billet Silver Sahara
Looks great Matthew! Like you I like the look of the stock 18" Sahara wheels. They look better than a lot of aftermarket wheels to me...

Last edited:

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Looks good. I have New 2019 JLU Sahara too and wanted to keep the Wheels since they are new. I went with the BFG KO2's 33's and 4 Wheel part guy suggested for what I wanted to do the Teraflex Spacer Kit. The front is 2.0 inches to remove Factory Rake and Rear is 1.5 inches. More room for tires and off-road use. Gave it that Aggressive Jeep Stance you want. After and Before pics.

OP
OP
Koufax80

Koufax80

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Looks good. I have New 2019 JLU Sahara too and wanted to keep the Wheels since they are new. I went with the BFG KO2's 33's and 4 Wheel part guy suggested for what I wanted to do the Teraflex Spacer Kit. The front is 2.0 inches to remove Factory Rake and Rear is 1.5 inches. More room for tires and off-road use. Gave it that Aggressive Jeep Stance you want. After and Before pics.

That looks great! I've been going back and forth about lifting it. How's it drive? Any noticeable change???

Sponsored

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
That looks great! I've been going back and forth about lifting it. How's it drive? Any noticeable change???
Going from the Stock Bridgestone to the BFG 33's I noticed a little difference in ride. BFG KO2's being E-rated tires. I lost about 1 or 2 MPG with Lift and tires. They put 40 PSI at 4 Wheel Parts who installed tires and lift. They realigned the Steering Wheel and Front End at the same time as install. That needs to be done. I talked to BF Goodrich Tech support and they recommend 40 PSI too but after reading some other Jeep owners in the JL Forums I aired down to 36 PSI and the ride felt better. My Son has a Jeep with 3.5 lift and 37's and he lost 5 MPG. I didn't want to go that Big. I have unhooked the Sway Bars and did some Moderate trails and rode well. Being a first time Jeep owner I am learning as I go. It's just now cooling off here and I have been going more Topless now. Been too hot. Cool enough now to finally take my doors off and really go topless !!! :rock::handsinair::jk:

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Mine has Rubicon spring + 0.5 spacer lift.

Hey, I see your Jeep ( NICE ) and was wondering what is on your rear door hinges ???? I see you live in Vancouver BC. I am going to retire somewhere in the mountains !!! Love Mountains and Winter !!!

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Hey, I see your Jeep ( NICE ) and was wondering what is on your rear door hinges ???? I see you live in Vancouver BC. I am going to retire somewhere in the mountains !!! Love Mountains and Winter !!!
Hey! Thanks!
That’s a hinge step, it can fold down as a foothold for easier access to the roof racks. Mine also doubles as a bottle opener.
They are pretty cheap but the hinge bolts can be a PITA to install.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07S88PF5K/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_4?smid=AYN5BTMAOQ08E&psc=1&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/Smittybilt-7...s=atlas+step+smittybilt&qid=1570854513&sr=8-3

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hey! Thanks!
That’s a hinge step, it can fold down as a foothold for easier access to the roof racks. Mine also doubles as a bottle opener.
They are pretty cheap but the hinge bolts can be a PITA to install.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07S88PF5K/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_4?smid=AYN5BTMAOQ08E&psc=1&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/Smittybilt-7...s=atlas+step+smittybilt&qid=1570854513&sr=8-3
I see now. Short time Jeep owner I have not seen those yet around websites. Other than bottle opener can't use this. I have the Sky One Power Top. Thanks !! I love the mountains in the background on that one Picture you have. There is not a lot of off-road trails around here like I can see you have. It would be nice !! Take Care. :rock: :jk: