275/70/18 or 295/70/18 - Sahara Altitude

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GC High Altitude 4x4, '22 JLU on order
Occupation
College Professor
I've read a bunch of tire threads, and most are geared toward 17" wheels. My 2022 Sahara Altitude *should* be built next week (finally), and I'd like to have new tires purchased before it arrives so I can have the dealer install them upon delivery.
  • I will be sticking with the oem 18" wheels (at least for the time being)
  • OEM Sahara suspension components will be replaced with Rubicon 3.6 Diesel springs & shocks upon pick up
  • Will replace oem plastic bumpers with oem steel bumpers upon pick up
  • Jeep will see 99.9% on-road driving, and most likely primarily highway/freeway travel
I think I have it pretty much narrowed down to: BFG KO2, Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT, or Pirelli Scorpion All Terrain Plus. Would love some feedback, pics are always helpful as well. Thanks.
Sponsored

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

How hard up are you on sticking with the OEM wheels?

Reason I ask is that I was in pretty much this exact position back in Nov/Dec. Researched wheels/tires *endlessly* - priced them out, shopped around, etc.

The challenge is that 18" tires aren't common, and thus, they're more expensive than the exact same tire at 17". You'll also find that not every tire comes in an 18" size.

When I was researching in Nov/Dec, a 5-pack of 18" KO2s was ~$1.6K installed at Discount Tire, but that left me with 18" rims, and if I ever wanted to get new rims in the future, I'd be forced into also getting new tires at the same time, to match the size.

Instead, I was able to get a 5-pack of brand new 17" Rubicon KO2 take-offs for $1,000 cash from a local shop who had done the same as you're doing. Tires had less than 100 miles on them, buyer had gone straight from dealer to shop.

$1,000 cash for a 5-pack of 17" wheels AND tires (the tires alone were $1.6K @ Discount)
$300 for Discount Tire to move my TPMS and re-mount
-$600 for my Sahara Altitude wheels/tires that I sold on FB

All told, I got basically a brand new set of 17" wheels *and* 33" KO2s for $700 out the door, installed on my Jeep, and now if/when I wanted to get new wheels in the future, I could easily get any number of 17" options without having to couple a new set of tires in the deal.

The 33" KO2s actually gave a more comfy ride than the 32" Dueler ATs that my Sahara Altitude came with - they have an additional ~1" of sidewall, so it's softer, and they're also more capable off-road. My usage is similar to yours - I do the occasional day-at-the-offroad-park, but otherwise I'm on I-20 back and forth running kids to/from school/events/etc.

With regards to MPG, I went from ~20-22 on the freeway to 18-20, depending on conditions. I also haven't recalibrated yet, so could be doing better.

Just my $0.02.....well....maybe more like my $1.50, but it's free to you. :)

Also, you're going to love the Sahara Altitude - I love mine.

EDIT: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/joyride-hydro-jlusa-build-thread.76001/post-1761223

This is what your JLUSA will look like before/after. Note that I have a 1.5" teraflex spacer kit on - from my research, the Rubicon suspension you're installing will likely give you similar lift.

OP
OP
JABCAT

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
College Professor
While I prefer the 17" black moab wheels (that I had on my JKU in the avatar) I haven't been able to find a decent set of 5 anywhere. I don't dislike the oem Sahara Altitude wheels, just the narrow tires they come with. That being said, if I could find some at a decent price I would probably go with them, but if not I'll stick with the stock 18's.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

I actually really liked the OEM SA wheels - they were part of the reason I picked the package, so I was kinda sad to swap them out, but doing so just made too much sense for me.

Check FB marketplace - there's usually at least 3-4 Rubi take-offs on there for our area.

OP
OP
JABCAT

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
College Professor
I actually really liked the OEM SA wheels - they were part of the reason I picked the package, so I was kinda sad to swap them out, but doing so just made too much sense for me.

Check FB marketplace - there's usually at least 3-4 Rubi take-offs on there for our area.
I do see a lot of Rubi take-offs, but not black which is a must.

Sponsored

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

I do see a lot of Rubi take-offs, but not black which is a must.
Ah, yeah if you're stuck on black, you're going to have a hard time. To my knowledge, no Rubi's come with black, only different variations of black and silver.

I too prefer black wheels, and will likely swap these out for that later, but I actually kinda like the way these look.

The Gladiator Rubicon wheels are what I *really* wanted, but they only come in a 4-pack, and getting the 5th would've been a pain, since Gladiators come with a steel spare.

Maybe your dealer could dip/paint the Rubi take-offs?

SFDemo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sahara EcoDiesel
I found "mostly" black Rubicon take offs and like them and the ride with 17' Wild Peak AT3's. I got mine for $900 with 260 miles on them, and doesn't seem to affect my mileage at all, but I do have the 3.0 diesel
Jeep Wrangler JL 275/70/18 or 295/70/18 - Sahara Altitude IMG_1238

travis_cooper

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sahara Altitude
@rcadden Iā€™m curious how important the spacer is. I havenā€™t even thought about tires, but this has made me wonder if I should start doing research. I guess there isnā€™t really a rush, I could just do the same thing later when the initial tires wear out, but being able to sell the new ones might be worth considering, rather than just a replacement later.

Suffolklou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Rubicon axle's are wider than Sahara, so you will likely need a spacer unless you go aftermarket with the correct backspacing.

OP
OP
JABCAT

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
College Professor
Ah, yeah if you're stuck on black, you're going to have a hard time. To my knowledge, no Rubi's come with black, only different variations of black and silver.

I too prefer black wheels, and will likely swap these out for that later, but I actually kinda like the way these look.

The Gladiator Rubicon wheels are what I *really* wanted, but they only come in a 4-pack, and getting the 5th would've been a pain, since Gladiators come with a steel spare.

Maybe your dealer could dip/paint the Rubi take-offs?
Funny, as we're discussing this, I just found a set of black moab take-offs that were just posted.

Sponsored

bohnster

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Altitude GCM
Occupation
Bourbon Taster
I put the 33" KO2s on my SA about 1.5 months after purchase. I didn't like the look of the Duelers and wanted a little more capable tire. I liked the black SA wheels especially after adding ColorLugs caps and didn't want to go to the extra expense of a wheel + tire purchase. Plus, it was much easier to get a tire-only swap approved by my better half. I paid just under $1500 out the door at DT for a set of 5 and sold my take-offs in less than 12 hours for $500.

Jeep Wrangler JL 275/70/18 or 295/70/18 - Sahara Altitude PXL_20220513_192455061

BoiledDogs

First Name
Tex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
Gun Bunny
Factory Sahara wheels with LT275/70r18 Firestone Destination X/T on my '18 Sport S with JLR take off shocks and springs. No issues with rubbing and maybe a 10 percent hit on MPGs on the highway.

6EFA57A2-5C28-4A4F-999B-CB2E5409B392.jpeg

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Factory ā€˜19 Sahara ā€œupgradeā€ wheels with 295/70/18 Mickey Thompson Baja Boss ATā€™s.
Jeep Wrangler JL 275/70/18 or 295/70/18 - Sahara Altitude 3E369D93-3E88-4D55-9A55-03849D362431
Jeep Wrangler JL 275/70/18 or 295/70/18 - Sahara Altitude 41021908-5FFC-4980-AA30-54EA3FCB83E4

OP
OP
JABCAT

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
College Professor
I ended up finding a set of black 17ā€ Moab wheels, which are my favorite wheel on the Wrangler & ordered a set of 285/75/17 KO2s that are on sale right now. Will sell my OEM Sahara Altitude set up when the vehicle comes in.

glange777

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara Altitude
I've read a bunch of tire threads, and most are geared toward 17" wheels. My 2022 Sahara Altitude *should* be built next week (finally), and I'd like to have new tires purchased before it arrives so I can have the dealer install them upon delivery.
  • I will be sticking with the oem 18" wheels (at least for the time being)
  • OEM Sahara suspension components will be replaced with Rubicon 3.6 Diesel springs & shocks upon pick up
  • Will replace oem plastic bumpers with oem steel bumpers upon pick up
  • Jeep will see 99.9% on-road driving, and most likely primarily highway/freeway travel
I think I have it pretty much narrowed down to: BFG KO2, Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT, or Pirelli Scorpion All Terrain Plus. Would love some feedback, pics are always helpful as well. Thanks.
I just put on 295/70/18 Nitto Ridge Grapplers. I kept the Stock Sahara rims as I think they look good. 1.5 inch wheel spacers make it all work. No rubbing. They look great.

Jeep Wrangler JL 275/70/18 or 295/70/18 - Sahara Altitude Jeep pic 2

Jeep Wrangler JL 275/70/18 or 295/70/18 - Sahara Altitude Jeep Pic 3
Sponsored