260 HP / 442 TQ

Farmdawg

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier
Just a FYI....Here in Central ND, standard Unleaded (ethanol) today costs $2.65 and standard #2 diesel is running $3.05.

So a $0.40 spread.

A Jeep running gas that averages 18 mpg will run $1.47 per mile. My JK with 33" tires tops out at 17 mpg so optimistically the JL with the same setup will get 18.

ND
Check your math...$1.47/ mile vs $0.147/ mile....I understand your point though
Sponsored

Klausvanwinkle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR
For the price premium of the diesel you could install a 10, 15 or 20 Gallon extended range fuel tank and still have money left over for fuel.

Also, a 5MPG increase from the diesel doesn’t get you the equivalent of a 10 Gal tank when the tank is 21.5 Gallons and the MPG of the gasoline models is in the 20s, that’s more like a 5 gallon tank.
I'm estimating for off road range where you're getting more like 10mpg with gasoline (210mi/tank). So getting 15mpg with Diesel would be a big increase (105mi/tank more, which would be the equivalent of 10g of gas getting 10mpg). But these are all hypothetical. They could both get 10mpg off road. Who knows.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
I'm estimating for off road range where you're getting more like 10mpg with gasoline (210mi/tank). So getting 15mpg with Diesel would be a big increase (105mi/tank more, which would be the equivalent of 10g of gas getting 10mpg). But these are all hypothetical. They could both get 10mpg off road. Who knows.
The hypothetical 50% fuel improvement, when it’s on 25% under other circumstances, as if that 5MPG difference is consistent across application? :movember:

Still doesn’t make up for the price premium that would get you a larger fuel tank.

Klausvanwinkle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR
The hypothetical 50% fuel improvement, when it’s on 25% under other circumstances, as if that 5MPG difference is consistent across application? :movember:

Still doesn’t make up for the price premium that would get you a larger fuel tank.
I should have caveated by writing something like "But these are all hypothetical. They could both get 10mpg off road. Who knows."

25% is a lot more realistic (based on Ram 1500 eco diesel vs V6 mpg).

My point is that during low fuel efficiency conditions like technical off roading, you wouldn't need a large numerical mpg difference to achieve a large % improvement that could account for the typical 5+ gallons people carry with them.

I was talking about range, not the value proposition. The Jeep's range is limited by its low payload. So yeah you could add another gas tank, but that's at the expense of bringing something else along. And this whole point could be moot because the diesel probably weighs more anyway.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Yeah, diesel, itself weighs more than gasoline though (about the equivalent of the increase in Energy per volume), so if we’re gonna start weighing things... you would need a 2.5gallon jerry can of gasoline to make the diesel and gasoline weight the same.

For the engine, the EcoDiesel is about 165lbs more (dunno about the new one with ESS + BSG etc next fall), plus heavier transmission, ancillaries, etc. If we start calculating payload and weighing fuel even, I still think the diesel is well behind.

I personally don’t care, although I hate that they reduced any fuel tank for any option, but just to be clear about things like range and such, and how we can affect them, especially for paying a premium like that for the diesel and what you could do for the others. All things considered it’s usually a wash, so.... meh.

Sponsored

Klausvanwinkle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR
Yeah, diesel, itself weighs more than gasoline though (about the equivalent of the increase in Energy per volume), so if we’re gonna start weighing things... you would need a 2.5gallon jerry can of gasoline to make the diesel and gasoline weight the same.

For the engine, the EcoDiesel is about 165lbs more (dunno about the new one with ESS + BSG etc next fall), plus heavier transmission, ancillaries, etc. If we start calculating payload and weighing fuel even, I still think the diesel is well behind.

I personally don’t care, although I hate that they reduced any fuel tank for any option, but just to be clear about things like range and such, and how we can affect them, especially for paying a premium like that for the diesel and what you could do for the others. All things considered it’s usually a wash, so.... meh.
Yeah. I was real excited about the diesel because it's like that elusive option that never seems to make it to North America. And the torque would be nice, but that price premium really dampens the appeal. To your point, $~4500 could pay for a lift, regear, and armor. Or a super charger, or an LS swap. Seems like there are a lot of more fun ways to spend that money.

brandonh

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 dodge 1500 , 2008 town and counrty, 2003 town and country
Good info on the 2.0, diesel and the hybrid

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
Don't forget that Mike Manley said the EcoDiesel should be rated at OVER 30 MPG. Gotta hold them to it!
Thats probably not going to happen without a change to emissions laws. Our Grand Cherokee ecodiesel with the emissions in place never got over 27mpg on the highway. With the EGR delete and tune we'll see 33mpg on the highway depending on the terrain, but it's normally around 29mpg.
Sponsored