Sponsored

260 HP / 442 TQ

TripleB

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ (Sold), 2013 JKUS (Sold), 2015 JKUR (Sold)
What will the tow capacity be?
Sponsored

TripleB

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It will be the same as the V6 and turbo 4. The limits on towing aren't based on the engine, but the Jeep overall.
That's what I figured. It has more to do with the overall size and weight of the Jeep not HP or TQ (probably the same 3,500 pounds). I am starting to wonder what the advantages to this engine option is other than MPG and your additional maintenance cost will eat up any saving.

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
That's what I figured. It has more to do with the overall size and weight of the Jeep not HP or TQ (probably the same 3,500 pounds). I am starting to wonder what the advantages to this engine option is other than MPG and your additional maintenance cost will eat up any saving.
Range would be one thing.

Klausvanwinkle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR
Torque. The 3.6L doesn't have a lot of it lower in the RPM range. This much torque would help off road and probably allow you to go with a range of tire sizes without the need to regear. The increased fuel economy isn't really about the savings. It's about range. You no longer need to carry a 10-gallon jerry can on off road trips.

Sponsored

TripleB

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree with both of you. The additional range would be a plus but maybe not worth the money. My JK gets about 275 miles p/t, which I hate. 400 miles p/t would be a big plus. Yes, the additional torque would be another plus if your going to big tires like 37s or bigger. I guess it's all about the feel when I drive it for me. I need to drive one in order see if it's worth the money!

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
I agree with both of you. The additional range would be a plus but maybe not worth the money. My JK gets about 275 miles p/t, which I hate. 400 miles p/t would be a big plus. Yes, the additional torque would be another plus if your going to big tires like 37s or bigger. I guess it's all about the feel when I drive it for me. I need to drive one in order see if it's worth the money!
Can't disagree with that, I'd absolutely have to try it myself as well. If they stick to the auto-only (and probably will) then it's $2K for the trans plus maybe another $3.5-4K for the motor I'm guessing. That's going to hurt. A lot.

Klausvanwinkle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR
Can't disagree with that, I'd absolutely have to try it myself as well. If they stick to the auto-only (and probably will) then it's $2K for the trans plus maybe another $3.5-4K for the motor I'm guessing. That's going to hurt. A lot.
Agreed. The turbo diesel option is what sold me on the JL in general. But if I can't get the out the door price and interest rate in the right place, the whole thing is a no go. Part of me would rather spend the money on installing hydro assist and 37s in my JKUR anyway.

Klausvanwinkle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR
THB, the more I read about the diesel, the more I'm thinking it's not going to be worth it.

It sounds like it's going to end up being a $6,000-7000 cost (some of that's the auto trans but still). And more maintenance and possible bad resale value as diesel's eco reputation continues to waiver. That price increase also tips the MSRP past the breaking point price I have in my mind for a new JL.

That cost could go a long way toward a full build around 37s, or even a hemi or LS swap for the fun factor.

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
$4k total upcharge would be high but tolerable.... $6k is insane

Sponsored

kholding

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Do we have any credible info on the pricing yet or just speculation?

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Range would be one thing.
The increased fuel economy isn't really about the savings. It's about range. You no longer need to carry a 10-gallon jerry can on off road trips.
For the price premium of the diesel you could install a 10, 15 or 20 Gallon extended range fuel tank and still have money left over for fuel.

Also, a 5MPG increase from the diesel doesn’t get you the equivalent of a 10 Gal tank when the tank is 21.5 Gallons and the MPG of the gasoline models is in the 20s, that’s more like a 5 gallon tank.

JJW_ND

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK
Just a FYI....Here in Central ND, standard Unleaded (ethanol) today costs $2.65 and standard #2 diesel is running $3.05.

So a $0.40 spread.

A Jeep running gas that averages 18 mpg will run $0.1472 per mile. My JK with 33" tires tops out at 17 mpg so optimistically the JL with the same setup will get 18.

A jeep with a diesel that averages 21 mpg will run 0.1452 per mile (thanks for catch math error Farmdog). I think it is realist to expect a 3 mpg bump with the new diesel. Anything more gives more room for a spread in the cost of diesel over gas.

In my case....the 3.6 is just a little weak with the tires and lift we add even when geared. I have driven the new JL in high gear on the interstate it did not seem to pull any stronger.

I am waiting for the diesel. But then I have a million miles of BTW experience with diesel pickups including today's current engines While they are very technical and have lost some of there reliability, they offer crazy power and torque as they have aged.

Just a trivial comparison.....I ordered a new Dodge Cummin's in 1996. It came from the factory with 215 HP and 440 torque. For that year....that pickup was king of the hill when it came to pulling ability. It got 20 mpg every day of the week. The engine was 5.9 liters and weighed 1000 lbs.,

This thread is about 260 hp and 442 torque for a Jeep. It is 3.0 liters and weighs 500 lbs.

jjw
ND

Last edited:

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
In my case....the 3.6 is just a little weak with the tires and lift we add even when geared. I have driven the new JL in high gear on the interstate it did not seem to pull any stronger.
Why would you think you could perceive it ‘pulling any stronger’ in high/top gear on the interstate when the upper gears are much taller than the transmissions they replace? That difference would get in the way of any perception of putting power to the tarmac.

Compare the direct drive gear position (4th in the Aisin, 6th in the ZF8 vs/against 5th in the NSG370 and 4th in the NAG1) if you wanted to investigate changes in the engine’s power delivery or the effect of other components at speed.

JJW_ND

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK
I was comparing a 2012 JK with 3.73 on 33" AEV lift against a factory JLUR with 4.10. The new JL did not seem to be much stronger at highway speed. I know not apples to apples but if I upgrade to a JLUR with a gas it woudl be what I got......and it comes up short.

BTW....I run a programmer on my JK and Premium fuel to get the most power out of it.

Hoping the Diesel is a noticeable increase in power output.

jjw
ND
Sponsored