Sponsored

260 HP / 442 TQ

foo.c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Raptor, 1997 Lexus LX450
Pretty solid numbers IMO. I wish I could buy one now!
Sponsored

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Yea cant beat the 20 HP and 22 TQ increase over the current Ram 1500.

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
It's the best choice of the three engines, and I really, really, really, really hope Jeep changes their minds and puts it in two-door Wranglers as well for 2019. You guys have no idea how disappointed I am today after reading, "diesel available in 4 door only." :(

I don't understand why they limit the diesel to four door Wranglers. Besides a different driveshaft and possibly a different DEF tank, what else would there be different? Take my money, bolt the damn thing in, and out the door it will go!

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
It's the best choice of the three engines, and I really, really, really, really hope Jeep changes their minds and puts it in two-door Wranglers as well for 2019. You guys have no idea how disappointed I am today after reading, "diesel available in 4 door only." :(

I don't understand why they limit the diesel to four door Wranglers. Besides a different driveshaft and possibly a different DEF tank, what else would there be different? Take my money, bolt the damn thing in, and out the door it will go!
My guess is that it is just initial forecasting. 4-doors have become the overwhelming Wrangler sales model. They've responded to the diesel demand and are planning on putting it in their #1 Wrangler platform. Over time if they sense there's enough demand for 2dr diesel, and they aren't constrained on motors for the 4dr, I could seem them adding that as a future option - and exacting a nice price increase for it.

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
They definitely need to offer the diesel in the 2 door. Those are two of the must haves for me.

Sponsored

camodog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
I too am bummed about the year wait for the diesel. So does this mean the Diesel JL and JT will be released around the same time? This will be the hardest decision for me between the 4 door or the JT

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
My guess is that it is just initial forecasting. 4-doors have become the overwhelming Wrangler sales model. They've responded to the diesel demand and are planning on putting it in their #1 Wrangler platform. Over time if they sense there's enough demand for 2dr diesel, and they aren't constrained on motors for the 4dr, I could seem them adding that as a future option - and exacting a nice price increase for it.
I hope so, that would make since JLUs are being released first, with JLs a few months later.

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
They definitely need to offer the diesel in the 2 door. Those are two of the must haves for me.
Same here, maybe we all need to unite and Jeep will allow it to happen! We have a year to pressure them. :)

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase

My guess is it could be a packaging issue. Need room for that extra DEF tank. Also the motor is heavier so could be an issue with weight balance on a short wheel base.

I too am bummed about the year wait for the diesel. So does this mean the Diesel JL and JT will be released around the same time? This will be the hardest decision for me between the 4 door or the JT
Yea the will both come out at the same time. Thats why Im waiting on the JT.

myfirstjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
empty
Don't forget that Mike Manley said the EcoDiesel should be rated at OVER 30 MPG. Gotta hold them to it!

Sponsored

Klausvanwinkle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR
I'm in the same boat. But I don't think the JT will fit in the garage. So that makes it a little easier. The JLU being 3" longer will also push the limits of my garage with a 12.5" wide tire and an aftermarket tire carrier. I won't be able to leave the rotopax on like I do now.

Also, I've talked to a lot of Brute owners who wished they'd bought a regular pickup and a JKU instead. So I'm hoping they're right.

DHTex87

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 128i
Anyone have an idea of the price premium for the diesel? Current price for the 8-Sp tranny w/ 3.6L gas engine is $1780/2000. Any guess?

camodog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
My guess is $3800-$5000
My hope is that they also don't charge $2k for the 8 speed considering it's the only option
My guess comes from chevys 2.8 duramax upcharge all the way to Ram/Jeep GC 3.0l upcharge
Or somewhere in between

Reactions: aai

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
Don't forget that Mike Manley said the EcoDiesel should be rated at OVER 30 MPG. Gotta hold them to it!
It WOULD be rated at 30mpg if they tuned it right. My wife's GC ecodiesel got 26mpg stock. The best we ever got stock was 27.1. If you are going to get the diesel, you will want to get it tuned to kill the EGR and eliminate soot build up. Without it, you can expect to spend a lot of money over time getting soot buildup cleaned. With the Green Diesel Engineering tune, we get 33-35mpg on long highway trips. Day to day driving gives about 21.5-23mpg. The tune disables EGR and a lot of other "clean" crap so the engine performs much better. The engine is a dog without the tune.

I think a lot of people are under the perception that the diesel is going to save them money. I think they will be shocked to discover that is not the case. I'm guessing the diesel is going to be AT LEAST a $4500 option and when you add $2000 for the auto transmission, it's pricey. The diesel also is more costly maintenance-wise as well. If you are someone who pays to have your oil changed, expect $150+ for oil changes as thats what most shops seem to charge to do it on the diesel. The diesel also uses DEF so you have to monitor its level. Its about $800 to get the engine tuned to make it last. Also, you'll find that not every Jeep dealership will be able to work on it. The dealership we bought ours from did not have a diesel mechanic so we had to go a bit farther if work is needed on it. I like the ecodiesel, but if I had it to do over again, I'd probably have just gotten the V8.
Sponsored