255/85r17 On A JLR, Anyone???

zw470

First Name
McFly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLR
Contrary to how I like my women, I like tires that are tall and skinny. I like the idea of the 35x11.50r17 size (similar in width to my factory tires), but its only available in two tires. The Nitto Trail Grappler which is very heavy and would likely be miserable on snowy roads and the Toyo ATIII which is a reasonable weight and great in the snow, but quite frankly its a wimpy looking tire.

Enter the 255/85r17 Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT

Nice and aggressive looking, reasonable weight, and it's 3PMSF rated. My concern, however, is that they'll look too narrow on a JLR. I understand the Willys come with 255s and it looks good, however I'm not sure how it will look going down to a 255 from a 285 even if the narrower tire is damn near 2" taller.

Pics on a JKU
Pics on a 4th gen 4Runner
Pics on a couple FJ Cruisers

They look pretty perfect on the Toyotas, but they look a little narrow on that JKU with it's chopped fenders and stubby bumper.
Sponsored

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
I don't think they look bad on the JK. They're obviously pizza cutters but that's an old-school Jeep thing. Nothing wrong with it and it has its benefits in certain situations. It's really a matter of whether you like the pizza cutter look or not.

OP
OP
zw470

zw470

First Name
McFly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLR
Bump.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Contrary to how I like my women, I like tires that are tall and skinny. I like the idea of the 35x11.50r17 size (similar in width to my factory tires), but its only available in two tires. The Nitto Trail Grappler which is very heavy and would likely be miserable on snowy roads and the Toyo ATIII which is a reasonable weight and great in the snow, but quite frankly its a wimpy looking tire.

Enter the 255/85r17 Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT

Nice and aggressive looking, reasonable weight, and it's 3PMSF rated. My concern, however, is that they'll look too narrow on a JLR. I understand the Willys come with 255s and it looks good, however I'm not sure how it will look going down to a 255 from a 285 even if the narrower tire is damn near 2" taller.

Pics on a JKU
Pics on a 4th gen 4Runner
Pics on a couple FJ Cruisers

They look pretty perfect on the Toyotas, but they look a little narrow on that JKU with it's chopped fenders and stubby bumper.
I think you're worrying about the wrong thing, unless you aren't off-roading. I think I'm going with that Boss A/T 255/85R17 on a mostly stock JLUR. The diameter will more than make up for the loss in width, in terms of floatation and contact patch. The improved approach angle of the tread in the soft stuff will provide better traction and steering than the 285/70R17 KO2 tires I have now. I also wanted a slightly more aggressive tread than the KO2. The narrow profile should be less negative impact on fuel economy than a 12.50 width, just due to lower rolling resistance. I'm pretty well sold on these for the next set.

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
I am thinking about going with this tire. I also want a tall narrow tire… Little unsure about mounting them on a 8.5” rim, like a little bulge for rim protection.

EDIT: 8.5” not 8

Last edited:

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Why not a 285/80/17 at 11.2" wide and 34.95" tall? There are some out there in that size.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time

Sponsored

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
Those are 285/75, not 285/80.

OP
OP
zw470

zw470

First Name
McFly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLR
So I was originally leaning towards the 35x11.50 Toyos, but I found some more pictures of these Mickey Thompsons and I think I've all but decided to go with them instead.

On a Tacoma
On a Gladiator

I probably need to just hurry up and order the Mickeys before I change my mind again

:facepalm:

IMP595

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
So I was originally leaning towards the 35x11.50 Toyos, but I found some more pictures of these Mickey Thompsons and I think I've all but decided to go with them instead.

On a Tacoma
On a Gladiator

I probably need to just hurry up and order the Mickeys before I change my mind again

:facepalm:

How’d you go?
Did you end up with the Mickey Thompsons or something else?