Sponsored

2500 miles and already creak/rattling?

Nicky Pass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray Rubicon 2.0T
I’ve had my 2020 Rubicon 4 door for about 2 months. I was pulling into my spot at work and I noticed a rattling coming from the rear cargo area. It sounds like a creak/rattle when 2 pieces of leather are rubbing together. I checked the doors, the spare, the seats. I opened the back and grabbed the roll bar and shook the Jeep and there was no noise. Any ideas?
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve had my 2020 Rubicon 4 door for about 2 months. I was pulling into my spot at work and I noticed a rattling coming from the rear cargo area. It sounds like a creak/rattle when 2 pieces of leather are rubbing together. I checked the doors, the spare, the seats. I opened the back and grabbed the roll bar and shook the Jeep and there was no noise. Any ideas?
A common culprit is the weatherstripping on the bottom of the back window. It can make those noises as it runs on the top of the tailgate. You can try cleaning and applying a thin coat of silicone based lube to the weatherstripping. It not only preserves and keeps the rubber supple, but shuts it up as well. Not a bad thing to do to all the accessible weatherstripping on the vehicle.

MoJoJoJoJeep

First Name
Lori
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Unlimited 4 door
Vehicle Showcase
I just got mine back and they added some foam and special tape to my one touch roof there is a campaign not sure if you have the same roof but it fixed the creak/rattle sound I was getting

OP
OP
Nicky Pass

Nicky Pass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray Rubicon 2.0T
I put some bulb grease on the seal....let it sit for 10 minutes....wiped off the excess....closed the door and the noise is gone!

fatmanontwowheels

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
I just got mine back and they added some foam and special tape to my one touch roof there is a campaign not sure if you have the same roof but it fixed the creak/rattle sound I was getting
Campaign as in TSB? Mine has a rattle from the back also and the fiberglass sometimes make a cracking sound

Sponsored

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
its a jeep thing. just crank up the radio and the noise will disappear. 3m tape on the top of the tailgate where the rubber meets should do trick.

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
You could also check the bolts that hold down the hard top.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Mine is pretty tight - but only 4,700 miles and two days of off-roading. If you use as intended there will be rattles. The only rattle free car I’ve owned was a 2003 BMW 530i. No rattles but a mechanical breakdown nightmare...

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
Between ham, GMRS, cb, and FM radios going most of the time, that tends to mask any Jeep creaks. I will say that I was surprised at the rather freely moving flaps on the tailgate. If you take the back trim piece off you definitely can hear them flapping depending on how the widows and/or fan ar rest.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I just noticed a very slight knocking somewhere in my driver seat when I move around. I never use the driverside seat for passengers. It started after tilting the seat back forward for a passenger last week. The knock seems to happen when I rock the seat forward and backward. Maybe from the track? I need to look into it this week. Anyone else have this happen?

Newdeal

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
As someone else stated, the 3M “squeak tape“ works great. I applied to the entire top of the tailgate door at contact spot and the issue was totally resolved. Nine months running with no returning issues.
Sponsored