$2500 fair price for gears installed?

vinniechin

First Name
Vinnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
This is for Dana Spicer gears and labor from a shop I trust.

Not many around here in Northern NJ and I know I'm paying a premium but I just wondered if its fair or if I should travel and save a lot more?

Thanks in advance everyone.

Vin
Sponsored

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
That’s on the high side for Oregon. Shops here seem to range from 1500-2000

OP
OP

vinniechin

First Name
Vinnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
That’s on the high side for Oregon. Shops here seem to range from 1500-2000
Thanks. I would do the $2000 but they won’t budge from pride and only shop local I trust. Ugh.

Appreciate the feedback.

Jeepjunkie

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
In Annapolis, Maryland labor for my shop was $500/axle. With parts, taxes, etc, etc, it might have been close to $1250 per axle. This is from memory and I’d have to look at the parts price, but I know the labor was $500 per. My shop is very reputable BTW and came through when warranty work (outside vendor) was needed.

Sponsored

crazyjas

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 392
Paid $1800 to have 14 JKUR manual w/35” regeared to 4.88

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
In Annapolis, Maryland labor for my shop was $500/axle. With parts, taxes, etc, etc, it might have been close to $1250 per axle. This is from memory and I’d have to look at the parts price, but I know the labor was $500 per. My shop is very reputable BTW and came through when warranty work (outside vendor) was needed.
Worldwide?

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
I don’t know if everything there is more expensive but to me that’s on the high side. We charge $2000 for a regear and that includes an oil change around 500-1000 miles

Brett

Jeepjunkie

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Worldwide?
I apologize if I’m misreading the question, for helping resolve the vender issue?
It was a US based company, also reputable but was giving us some pushback about their component causing vibrations. In the end my shop took care of communications and got it all fixed. I didn’t have to cover shipping, or labor. It was really great service and it resolved the vibrations. The warranty work was not for the regear fwiw, but for other work I had done at the same time.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I apologize if I’m misreading the question, for helping resolve the vender issue?
It was a US based company, also reputable but was giving us some pushback about their component causing vibrations. In the end my shop took care of communications and got it all fixed. I didn’t have to cover shipping, or labor. It was really great service and it resolved the vibrations. The warranty work was not for the regear fwiw, but for other work I had done at the same time.
Sorry, the shop in Annapolis - was it World Tour or someone else?

Sponsored

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
My local shop that was recommended quoted me about 2500$. However, if I drive 2 hours east or west (or 10 hours to colorado) I was quoted $2K, parts and labor. I'll most likely make the trip. I can do chromoly rear axles and still save 100$. $500 per axles labor seems to be the normal so I think they're trying to make money on the parts. Seems dumb when I can order the same parts myself for 900$ online.

To piggy back off the OP, is it bad to drive 2 hours home on new gears? Should I drive and stop and drive and stop the whole way back so that I don't overheat the bearings?

OP
OP

vinniechin

First Name
Vinnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I did and I want to use them for almost $1K less but Its so far away 2.25 hours and I cannot get away from work at the moment to stay and wait or go back two days. Heart breaker for me and I want to support great businesses.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
My local shop that was recommended quoted me about 2500$. However, if I drive 2 hours east or west (or 10 hours to colorado) I was quoted $2K, parts and labor. I'll most likely make the trip. I can do chromoly rear axles and still save 100$. $500 per axles labor seems to be the normal so I think they're trying to make money on the parts. Seems dumb when I can order the same parts myself for 900$ online.

To piggy back off the OP, is it bad to drive 2 hours home on new gears? Should I drive and stop and drive and stop the whole way back so that I don't overheat the bearings?
It's not bearings you're worried about but the actual contact surfaces between ring and pinion.

And technically, yes, many would say you need to break in properly. I always wonder about this with OEM though -- it's really not THAT uncommon for someone to buy a new vehicle with, say, less than 10 or 20 miles on the odo and then immediately drive it for hours and hundreds of miles.

One those things that makes me go hmmm.....
Sponsored