Sponsored

24-Year Long Wait!

95Jeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Hi folks,

I know. I know. Another manual vs. auto question. But please hear me out.

I've been reading a ton of posts in regards to this topic, and I'm still undecided! Here's why . . . My first vehicle was a brand new 1995 Wrangler. Basically, I made a huge, uneducated mistake for buying a 4-banger with the anemic automatic transmission. I also regretted not waiting a year before the TJs came out. But it was pre-internet, so I had no clue it was coming.

I'm now ready for buy another Wrangler. For the last 24 years, I've kept this promise to myself to basically write a wrong -- "THE NEXT TIME I BUY, I'M BUYING A MANUAL BECAUSE IT'S THE JEEP-WRANGLER-THING-TO-DO!! The problem is . . . I've heard nothing but great reviews on the 8-speed auto! I've driven both JL transmissions, the auto on a 2-door and a manual on a 4-door. The former was surprisingly quick, and the latter . . . I might have to test drive it again, but it didn't impress me -- it felt weird with the soft clutch. I want a 2-door, but unfortunately, I can't find one with a manual to test drive.

I'm ready to buy a JL, but having waited this long and with the high prices, I want to make the right decision without zero regrets.
Sponsored

Jeeper Fever

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si Coupe, 2-Door Manual JLR
Check the engine on those models, and remember the Rubi has a 4.10 axle, those things may make a difference.

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
I would drive both. When it comes to autos, and I don’t like automatic transmissions, but this new 8 speed is very nice. I have a manual two door Rubicon. It terms of feel, the manual feels quite nice. However, there are some, what I feel, major hiccups that make driving it frustrating. 5th and 6th gears are extremely tall and Jeep did some weird gear spacing in gears 3-6 because of this. And then the oem tune, don’t even get me started on that issue. Drive both for a long time on different roadways to get a true overall feel.

Sponsored

86CJ7

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 392
Occupation
IT
One advantage to the manual is that you have more control of the ESS system.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the manual and wish I had ordered it with an auto. The 8 speeds are great and while the 6 speed is still a nice one I’m just kicking myself still. For our use, an auto would be much more useful for crawling and climbing. Also, we got the lifetime warranty and it would’ve covered the auto for a long time vs me having to buy a new clutch when that time comes

Brett

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
A while back we bought a BMW 335i. They had a pre owned with few miles on it and it was exactly the color and options we wanted. Except that it was a manual. I told my wife “too bad it’s a stick” and she said “ I can drive a stick”. So we bought it and had it for 3 years or so. I think we both agree that we’d never do that again. Not that it’s a big deal, I hardly even think about shifting, but the autos today are so good there is no reason not to get one. And if you ever have any leg, knee or foot issues you might end up not being able to drive the car.

Just something to think about. I have the 6 in my Jeep and the 8 speed auto is great.

Sponsored

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe
The 8-speed auto also has a manual mode! I drive it like that everywhere, except on the highway. It's a lot of gears to go through, but I can control the acceleration and shift points how I wish, including down-shifting at stops and in traffic. The ESS does not work in manual mode, so I don't have to think about turning it off. If you test drive the auto, just pop the lever to the left and up-down your gears. Best of both worlds! Also works for descent-assist where the up-down sets the crawl speed.

I don't think you will regret either decision!

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don’t have one but as I understand it, the ESS will not engage unless you put it in neutral and let the clutch out.
That’s correct. It’ll start the truck if I press the clutch in if it’s sitting in neutral and clutch out.

Brett

RSteckhahn

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S; 2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
If you want a manual, you won't regret buying a manual. It saved $2000 off the price of the car, and I enjoy it so much that I may have considered ADDING $2k to have it optioned as a manual. Not knocking the 8spd auto, but there is no way that someone who desires a manual will be satisfied with that tranny.
Sponsored