Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06LJ,
Clubs

Constants - 2 DR, 2.0t/Auto, Hard Top,
Wants - Alpine Premium Audio.

Both new.
Given These parameters, and what we know of the 24 Willys.

23 Rubi vs 24 Willys. Which one is the better Jeep/Bang?
Sponsored

AdamNash

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUS
Thatā€™s toughā€¦ I would vote ā€˜24 Willys at this point between those two but only bc the new Willys seem really well equipped and Iā€™m team ā€˜24. If you can find a 23 youā€™re happy with then I say snag it bc youā€™re honestly likely to be happy either way. I donā€™t remember the details but am thinking others have reported some 2.0 shortages on the 24 order banks (speculation was that they may be holding them back for 4XEs temporarily?) - might be worth looking into if you want it soon - which leans toward the 23 anyway obviously.

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
Pretty sure the Rubicon still comes with the Alpine premium stereo included again this year. Willys is pretty good bang for your buck imo, but depending upon how much other ginger you might want, the new Rubicon X in a 2-door is actually a pretty good deal versus adding painted hardtop, fenders, leather, steel bumper group, etc (afaik, the only way to get a painted top in a 2-door now, but not sure if that's important or not for you). Think the X is only 3.6L for now, but should add the 2.0T eventually.

Just quickly comparing apples to apples with the old pricing for a 2-door '23 Willys vs a '23 Rubi, adding the plain black hardtop, Alpine stereo, A/C and 2.0T w/auto comes out to ~$45k for the Willys versus ~$49k for the Rubicon with the same criteria and more. Haven't looked too closely at the '24 Willys in the new order guides, but just based off of the '23 price difference, I'd get the Rubicon for a little more.

Think the '24s jumped in price quite a bit, so I'd still be leaning '23 Rubi, unless the '24 Willys is now including premium audio or A/C (just assuming you want A/C in TX, but maybe not).

Sponsored

OP
OP
Allen0jason

Allen0jason

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06LJ,
Clubs

Pretty sure the Rubicon still comes with the Alpine premium stereo included again this year. Willys is pretty good bang for your buck imo, but depending upon how much other ginger you might want, the new Rubicon X in a 2-door is actually a pretty good deal versus adding painted hardtop, fenders, leather, steel bumper group, etc (afaik, the only way to get a painted top in a 2-door now, but not sure if that's important or not for you). Think the X is only 3.6L for now, but should add the 2.0T eventually.

Just quickly comparing apples to apples with the old pricing for a 2-door '23 Willys vs a '23 Rubi, adding the plain black hardtop, Alpine stereo, A/C and 2.0T w/auto comes out to ~$45k for the Willys versus ~$49k for the Rubicon with the same criteria and more. Haven't looked too closely at the '24 Willys in the new order guides, but just based off of the '23 price difference, I'd get the Rubicon for a little more.

Think the '24s jumped in price quite a bit, so I'd still be leaning '23 Rubi, unless the '24 Willys is now including premium audio or A/C (just assuming you want A/C in TX, but maybe not).

Painted hardtop and fenders don't bother me I prefer the black, like I said in the op, black hardtop, 2.0 Auto, and would prefer the Alpine premium audio. Like you I'm thinking the 23 Ruby still beats the 24 Willy's bang for buck. Wheels bumper and players are all going to get changed out for personalization, and with the ability to bedline at any color I want, color isn't too much a worry

henry

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUD Firecracker Red
A bit of a tangent, I currently have a 21 Rubicon JLU diesel and love it, thus plus one for a 23. But Iā€™m seriously considering ordering a Rubicon X with the 3.6. Iā€™ve had the 3.6 in a 2019 and it was okay. The diesel is better. Iā€™m considering the 2024 Rubicon X since itā€™s mostly a daily driver for me. The two items Iā€™m finding most appealing is the supposedly quieter cabin and the full time rock trac offering for winter driving. Iā€™m torn between keeping what I have, or go for the features in the 24 considering I drive 60 plus miles daily.

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
A bit of a tangent, I currently have a 21 Rubicon JLU diesel and love it, thus plus one for a 23. But Iā€™m seriously considering ordering a Rubicon X with the 3.6. Iā€™ve had the 3.6 in a 2019 and it was okay. The diesel is better. Iā€™m considering the 2024 Rubicon X since itā€™s mostly a daily driver for me. The two items Iā€™m finding most appealing is the supposedly quieter cabin and the full time rock trac offering for winter driving. Iā€™m torn between keeping what I have, or go for the features in the 24 considering I drive 60 plus miles daily.
I'm guessing the full-time or auto-4WD probably isn't useful to OP in TX. And it's a shame they couldn't get the diesel in the 2-door, cause I think that would make a nice combo. But as someone that got the painted top/fenders, heated leather, steel bumpers and auto-4, the Rubicon X seems like a really good deal and is actually a bit cheaper than my '23, but with a little more shit (sound deadening, new uConnect system and advanced safety stuff plus side airbags for cheaper insurance).

Personally not a fan of the new grille yet, so I'm not too mad about the timing. But if I was buying today, I'd order the X.

Sponsored

UM_Ftown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 5.9, 00 XJ
I'd take the improvements in the 2024 plus it's not a Rubicon which is the best thing about it. lol

jberry187

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon (JLURD), 1997 Wrangler Sahara
How many miles are on your diesel and how frequently do you do oil changes?

jberry187

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had the opportunity to buy a '24 when I got my '23 Rubi. The decision point for me was the diesel. I know there are naysayers about this particular engine, but I believe it is a great power plant for the money. I can replicate most of the '24 improvements in my '23 if desired for much less than a diesel conversion.

henry

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUD Firecracker Red
How many miles are on your diesel and how frequently do you do oil changes?
52,200 trouble free miles. Oil change every 10,000 miles and I do them all myself. The oil change indicator comes on at the 10k since my commute is long daily. A friend with a shorter commute is seeing the oil change indicator at 8,500 miles.

jberry187

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
52,200 trouble free miles. Oil change every 10,000 miles and I do them all myself. The oil change indicator comes on at the 10k since my commute is long daily. A friend with a shorter commute is seeing the oil change indicator at 8,500 miles.
Thatā€™s awesome! Glad to hear it. Mine will probably be a bit shorter of a maintenance cycle, but thatā€™s ok. Do you use a fuel additive?
Sponsored