TJEli

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep, truck, car
Hey Guys,

Thought I would post up a trip report with some real world experiences and numbers. I was by myself in my JLUR with 2" Daystar, Falcon 2.1s and 37x12.50 KO2s.

I needed to go down to see my parents who live just outside of Branson MO. On the trip down (From Iron Mountain, MI) I took mostly 2 lane roads through WI, IA, IL and MO. This gave me a really good idea of how the gearing and suspension worked at speed on choppy back roads. I was able to stop and see some places I had not seen in over 20 years.

Here is a scenic overlook in Spring Green WI. You can see the deck from the House on the Rock in the background.

House on the rock.jpg
spring green.jpg

The ONLY thing that I began to notice was the stock steering stabilizer letting a little wobble come through on uneven bumps. That night at the hotel I contacted Marcus at River City Offroad and had him ship a Nexus 2.2 to my parents house. Everything else was fantastic. Handling and ride was great and the transmission did an excellent job. It does not spend as much time in 8th gear but it DOES use it. Steep hills at speed and on cruise it rarely drops below 6th. At this point in the trip I was averaging 18.8 MPG with my computer recalibrated for the 37s. (to actual GPS speed) The tires are smooth and quiet all the way up to 98 MPH.

After arriving at my parents house I got to spend some time driving around to Ozarks. I got to do a little light wheeling and finally got to max the suspension out with 2 tires off the ground. With 2" bumpstops the tires just barely kiss the back of the rear liners and the top of the front liners. Just enough to make dirt marks.

mo flex (3).jpg
mo flex (2).jpg

My dad spent time driving it as well and was blown away with how well it drove and how comfortable it was. Fuel mileage driving easy around Ozark mountain roads was a solid 20-21 MPG. Stopped at one of my favorite distilleries for a glass of their gold metal winning Bourbon.

MR (2).jpg
MR (1).jpg

Stopped at a dealer and parked next to a stock Rubicon. Also drove a 2.0L for the first time. It sounds like my lawn tractor.

next to stock (1).jpg
next to stock (2).jpg

The Nexus 2.2 steering stabilizer showed up and did not fail to impress. Even on its "soft" setting it takes all of the bump steer feedback out of the wheel. The "Firm" setting was amazing for blasting down the interstate at speed in cross winds. I can highly recommend this upgrade.

The trip back was all interstate because I had to make time. Most of the time I ran on cruise at 75MPH. If the wind was light it would use 8th gear on the flats and downhills and go down to 7th or 6th on the climbs. Fuel mileage at this time was about 17.5. When I crossed into IL I ran into a steady 15MPH head wind. Running 76 MPH, Jeep stayed in 6th gear and mileage dropped to 14.8 Worst of the trip. Even in the wind the Jeep drove great. One hand on the wheel at 75-80 MPH.

I drove 900 miles yesterday and it did not feel like I did it in a Wranger. Especially not one with 37" tires. I was impressed with the mileage it got and it never felt short on power. My overall trip mileage wound up in the low 18s. It was a fun week and was really nice to spend some time with my parents.

arch.jpg
miller.jpg

FWIW, YMMV

-Eli
Sponsored

Chemy350

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Mortgage Loan Officer
Thank you for the nice write up. Good to know information. Did you have to re-gear?

OP
OP
TJEli

TJEli

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep, truck, car
Running stock 4.10 gearing. For me, there is no need to regear for these particular 37s. Just as a note.... It will still light the tires up all the way through 1st gear.

-Eli

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
Same mileage I got on my 1200 mile trip to Birmingham, AL and back!

dfwmountainbiker

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 (TJ) Wrangler
OP, great post. I have a 2 Door TJ, I-6 engine, on 32's. You get better EVERYTHING than I do. I could NEVER go 90mph, or above 55 up big hills, with low power, and still I'd get 14mpg. Seems like a vast improvement

Sponsored

@OUTDOORTREE

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Dang, thats great to hear you did not get a big MPG drop. I am till on the 33" getting ready to go bigger soon but was planning on 35's because I travel a lot for work. If your not losing tons of MPG's I will likely go 37's.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I was just at the House on the Rock about a month ago. It is definitely worth the stop.

Nice write up. Glad the trip went well. I am looking forward to doing some trips with 37s.

TheRealTVGuy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.MyVillageRadio.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
Nice write up and pics! I'm running 18" Fuel Rims and 35" Nitto Grapplers and I can tell you my mileage dropped from 18.9 to 13/14.

One correction though: True Bourbon comes ONLY from Kentucky! :-P

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
Nice write up and pics! I'm running 18" Fuel Rims and 35" Nitto Grapplers and I can tell you my mileage dropped from 18.9 to 13/14.

One correction though: True Bourbon comes ONLY from Kentucky! :-P
Common myth but not true; by law bourbon has to be from a grain mixture with a minimum of 51% corn, distilled to no higher than 160 proof, and introduced into first use charred oak barrels for aging at no higher than 125 proof. The only stipulation as to origin is that it must be made in the USA. Trust me, I'm a whiskey geek; if I ever wanted to sell my collection it would take a nice dent out of the price of a new Jeep (but it's NOT for sale, ever). :) That said all my favorite bourbons do indeed come from Kentucky.

Sponsored

TheRealTVGuy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.MyVillageRadio.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
Common myth but not true; by law bourbon has to be from a grain mixture with a minimum of 51% corn, distilled to no higher than 160 proof, and introduced into first use charred oak barrels for aging at no higher than 125 proof. The only stipulation as to origin is that it must be made in the USA. Trust me, I'm a whiskey geek; if I ever wanted to sell my collection it would take a nice dent out of the price of a new Jeep (but it's NOT for sale, ever). :) That said all my favorite bourbons do indeed come from Kentucky.
True, but as a Kentucky-born boy I’m a little partial. ;)

What’s your go-to? Right now mine’s Buffalo Trace.

RubiZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Awesome write up on your trip! Glad you enjoyed it.

Teghogh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler jl sport
I don’t know about the mileage. My cousins rubicon has issues getting to 20mpg on 33s

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
True, but as a Kentucky-born boy I’m a little partial. ;)

What’s your go-to? Right now mine’s Buffalo Trace.
Buffalo Trace is great everyday stuff and can't beat the value; it's neck and neck for me with Knob Creek. Both are on constant sale around here at our mega-lo-mart of liquor Binny's for around $25 a fifth, which is a deal up here. My whiskey-geek friend and I keep talking about doing a bourbon trail tour "one of these days". Take the wives and have one of them do the driving once we're there. :)

Teghogh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler jl sport
And I have 35s ko2 and getting maybe 21 on the freeway with no lift but mine is sport
Sponsored