'22 JL Rubicon audio upgrade?

dougywarren

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 4xe Sahara
I’m not pleased with the Alpine dash speakers. I have a month old ‘22 Sahara 4Xe. They sound very thin and trebly. Especially when listening to older music stations on XM. The system isn’t bad for hip hop and other modern music with heavy bass though. I think I’m going to have Jeep check my drivers side dash speaker to see if something is wrong with it. But I think it’s just limited
Sponsored

OP
OP
dragoneggs

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

I’m not pleased with the Alpine dash speakers. I have a month old ‘22 Sahara 4Xe. They sound very thin and trebly. Especially when listening to older music stations on XM. The system isn’t bad for hip hop and other modern music with heavy bass though. I think I’m going to have Jeep check my drivers side dash speaker to see if something is wrong with it. But I think it’s just limited
Do play with your equalizer and balance/fade controls. Yes the OEM stock mid/high frequencies suck (in my 2dr). No issues with the bass... but I like to listen to a variety of music... not all heart pounding.

dougywarren

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 4xe Sahara
Do play with your equalizer and balance/fade controls. Yes the OEM stock mid/high frequencies suck (in my 2dr). No issues with the bass... but I like to listen to a variety of music... not all heart pounding.
yeah I ended up turning the treble down about 3-4 notches in the EQ. When I play something like Willie’s Roadhouse it’s almost like there’s this metallic high pitch ringing coming from the dash speaker. Not really noticeable using CarPlay. There’s also a slight buzzy rattle coming from that driver side dash speaker area from time to time. Maybe there’s a loose screw or something. But I’ve also seen several people on here complaining about the lack of mids in those dash speakers so maybe it’s not just me

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 2022 JLUR Diesel
Proof? The 22 order books state it. Also my 22 Rubicon has it.

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
Can you provide any proof that Alpine Premium speakers are present for any 22 Wrangler? I see no difference in offering across the submodels... and nothing saying 'Alpine'.
Go to Jeep.com and click on the 'build & price' icon in the far upper-right hand corner. Select 2022 Wrangler and then select the 'build' icon for a Rubicon. Scroll all the way down to 'summary' and to the right of the net pricing, click on 'standard features' and expand the 'audio & uconnect' section. This premium audio group used to be a $1,000 option up until 2021 and was changed to a standard feature for MY22 (for Rubicons)..

Jeep Wrangler JL '22 JL Rubicon audio upgrade? Image1

Sponsored

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 2022 JLUR Diesel
Did u run your.dash speakers / soundbar to a amp or did you just upgrade speakers only?
I have since installed the Quart Stage 6. Added a Quart 400.1 amp and a JL Audio 10TW3 in the stock enclosure. Unfortunately the 400.1 was defective. Quart is sending me another amp. So for the time being I went from so so sub to now no sub. Hope the amp gets here soon.

HydroPaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 jeep wrangler unlimited jl Rubicon
I have since installed the Quart Stage 6. Added a Quart 400.1 amp and a JL Audio 10TW3 in the stock enclosure. Unfortunately the 400.1 was defective. Quart is sending me another amp. So for the time being I went from so so sub to now no sub. Hope the amp gets here soon.
Bummer. Curious how it turns out. Keep us posted with the final sound and what products

laroo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 4xe
Can you provide any proof that Alpine Premium speakers are present for any 22 Wrangler? I see no difference in offering across the submodels... and nothing saying 'Alpine'.
Check your build sheet. Mine says Alpine. Window sticker does not though.

OP
OP
dragoneggs

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Go to Jeep.com and click on the 'build & price' icon in the far upper-right hand corner. Select 2022 Wrangler and then select the 'build' icon for a Rubicon. Scroll all the way down to 'summary' and to the right of the net pricing, click on 'standard features' and expand the 'audio & uconnect' section. This premium audio group used to be a $1,000 option up until 2021 and was changed to a standard feature for MY22 (for Rubicons)..

Jeep Wrangler JL '22 JL Rubicon audio upgrade? Image1
Thanks! I found it. I'm still a bit skeptical after pulling the speakers from the dash and inspecting them.

Deleted member 59498

Mine sounds great a good upgrade from the standard audio in 2020 Wrangler.

Sponsored

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
Thanks! I found it. I'm still a bit skeptical after pulling the speakers from the dash and inspecting them.
Sure thing! And your window sticker should also state 'Alpine Premium Audio System', though I've seen a few for 22 that didn't specify Alpine for whatever reason.

I'm guessing most of the speakers themselves will appear OEM without any of the usual Alpine branding, but iirc, there used to be an Alpine logo molded into the speaker grille for the subwoofer (on 4-doors), but not sure if it's still there for 22 (2-doors grills should say 'all-weather' instead).

Not 100% sure, but I've always assumed that the Premium Audio group was something an obvious step above the standard factory speakers, but maybe not quite on par with an Alpine Type-R aftermarket install (probably something closer to their cheaper Type-S line-up, or somewhere in between with only a modest boost in amplification to match). Just guessing, though.

OP
OP
dragoneggs

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Sure thing! And your window sticker should also state 'Alpine Premium Audio System', though I've seen a few for 22 that didn't specify Alpine for whatever reason.

I'm guessing most of the speakers themselves will appear OEM without any of the usual Alpine branding, but iirc, there used to be an Alpine logo molded into the speaker grille for the subwoofer (on 4-doors), but not sure if it's still there for 22 (2-doors grills should say 'all-weather' instead).

Not 100% sure, but I've always assumed that the Premium Audio group was something an obvious step above the standard factory speakers, but maybe not quite on par with an Alpine Type-R aftermarket install (probably something closer to their cheaper Type-S line-up, or somewhere in between with only a modest boost in amplification to match). Just guessing, though.
My window sticker does not specify. And yes, my 2dr sub grill says 'all weather'. The rest of the grills and speakers themselves are void of any branding that I have seen.

Again, happy with my Kenwood upgrades now in the dash and in the roll bar. The other four are all still stock and probably remain that way for the time being.

I am much happier with the sound and the amount of work to swap out the 4in in the lower dash doesn't look to be worth it unless/until I add an amp. The roll bar upgrade cutting into the sound enclosures is not appealing to me either.

BEACHED WHALE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
just got my 22 jlur. Not too happy with the premium sound. I feel like my jku premium sound was much better. Im going to change out the front corner dash and soundbar speakers with an installer since I dont know cr*p about it. Hopefully they could guide me to some great 6" speakers to marry with the existing premium system

OP
OP
dragoneggs

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

just got my 22 jlur. Not too happy with the premium sound. I feel like my jku premium sound was much better. Im going to change out the front corner dash and soundbar speakers with an installer since I dont know cr*p about it. Hopefully they could guide me to some great 6" speakers to marry with the existing premium system
You can easily do the front dash speaker swap. Only need a plastic pry bar to pop the grill and a stubby screwdriver to remove and install the speakers. The wires are simple plug in assuming you buy the adapter wiring.

If you want to put bigger speakers in the sound bar then cutting is required. I can understand not wanting to tackle that if you aren't comfortable modding things.

Careful though... modding is addicting!

BEACHED WHALE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
i emailed Alpine and they replied saying that I need to bypass the system with an upgraded amp + speakers. In my jku I put in the alpine head unit wra and the system really came alive. super loud and crisp. Awesome radio.
Sponsored