Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

The 22 JL Rubicon has no options for audio. Just the standard 8.4 UConnect. No info on audio. Wondering what folks are doing to upgrade audio.

First question... is swapping out the top dash speakers with Kenwood KFC-X3C a good move?

Second question... it appears the lower dash speakers are a difficult swap. Is it worth it?

Third question... what are folks doing with the speakers in the roll bar?

I know the real solution is amps but want to take this incrementally if I can and DIY as much as I can.

Maybe the first question should be... what are the specs on the stock system. I can't find any specifics.
Sponsored

lashlee

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR 2.0 Turbo 4 (Wife's), Tesla M3P (mine)
Some of the questions you have could be better answered at a local specialty shop. After being in and around the industry for the last 30 or so years, every ear is different. What some people dislike about a given setup may be what others prefer. Your budget, musical tastes and who is doing the work need to be answered first. I've installed, tuned and listened to systems of various costs over the years and have found some inexpensive builds can sound great and some expensive build can sound horrible.

With that being said, I would find a local brick and mortar and take a variety of music that you like and let your ears lead you to what sounds the best (but be warned that what sounds good in a sound board may not translate to good sound in your Jeep). In general, the more control you have over the sound, the better it can sound. Using a PAC amp pro with an amp(s) and new speakers would be the long term goal but you can make some changes in steps to give you some better sound in the mean time until you find your audio nirvana.

If you came to me, I would suggest new dash speakers, replace the lower dash pods with the larger 6-1/2" enclosures and do the same in the sound bar. Bigger speakers will sound better as long as the install is at the optimum of the given speaker. The Alpine setup in the sound bar uses two speakers so make sure your new speakers can take advantage of the wiring or run new wires from a new amp.

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 2022 JLUR Diesel
I went through two sets of dash speakers, Infinify REF3230 and now have JK C2-350's. I tried to install components in the sound bar and found that the high pass filter for the small speakers is too low for most component tweeters. Infinity 6530's and Alpine S-S65S were the two I tried. Now running JL c2-650s in the sound bar to the small plug and a set of Tang Band 2W2-2243S 2" driver on the large plugs. @carstereochick 's shop replaced the whole smash with a MB Quart Stage 6 and an extra amp to give the sub a bump and that is where I am headed now. The JL Audio speakers do sound good but sometimes I want to go to 11 and it's not there. It really depends on how particular you are about your music and how much you want to spend.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

I came from an '07 GMC Sierra with a simple Kenwood head unit and "a slight upgrade over factory" speakers that I'd installed myself.

My Sahara Altitude came with the full 8.4" Alpine system (because I ordered it that way) and my recommendation would be to wait and experience it before you start planning to replace or "upgrade" it. It's pretty fantastic as-is, IMO.

Sponsored

HydroPaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 jeep wrangler unlimited jl Rubicon
I went through two sets of dash speakers, Infinify REF3230 and now have JK C2-350's. I tried to install components in the sound bar and found that the high pass filter for the small speakers is too low for most component tweeters. Infinity 6530's and Alpine S-S65S were the two I tried. Now running JL c2-650s in the sound bar to the small plug and a set of Tang Band 2W2-2243S 2" driver on the large plugs. @carstereochick 's shop replaced the whole smash with a MB Quart Stage 6 and an extra amp to give the sub a bump and that is where I am headed now. The JL Audio speakers do sound good but sometimes I want to go to 11 and it's not there. It really depends on how particular you are about your music and how much you want to spend.
Did u run your.dash speakers / soundbar to a amp or did you just upgrade speakers only?

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did u run your.dash speakers / soundbar to a amp or did you just upgrade speakers only?
Upgraded speakers only with the factory amp.

HydroPaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 jeep wrangler unlimited jl Rubicon
Upgraded speakers only with the factory amp.
I'm guessing you are aware that the stock head unit won't allow your new speakers to sound better. It will actually sound worse with an upgrade. U need a amp or change out headuunit.

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah... MB Quart stage 6 is going in tomorrow. Wish I could have deleted the Alpine when I ordered it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
dragoneggs

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

I know the audio is Alpine and it was standard not an option for my 22 JLR unlike the previous year. What I don't know are any specs, watts, RMS, THD, PSD, LSD, etc. 😂

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
dragoneggs

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

I know the audio is Alpine and it was standard not an option for my 22 JLR unlike the previous year. What I don't know are any specs, watts, RMS, THD, PSD, LSD, etc. 😂
I think I need to correct my above statement. When I started looking at JLs, in 2021, that model year had an option for the 8.4 Uconnect w/Alpine speakers specifically called out.
I ended up ordering a '22 JLR and the 8.4Uconnect became standard. I assumed this also meant Alpine speakers. And there are no options.

Going back and looking at my order paperwork and currently what is online at Jeep.com, there is zero mention of Alpine.

Did Jeep downgrade the speakers for 2022?

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No. Alpine and 8.4 are standard for 22 Rubicon.

Reactions: LCW
OP
OP
dragoneggs

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

No. Alpine and 8.4 are standard for 22 Rubicon.
Can you provide any proof that Alpine Premium speakers are present for any 22 Wrangler? I see no difference in offering across the submodels... and nothing saying 'Alpine'.
Sponsored