'21 Willys Suspension - Shocks/Springs

JeepCoop616

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Willys Unlimited
This is ours with aftermarket bumper (warn winch), rugged ridge fenders, Quadratec Morphic wheels and 35x12x17 Mickey Thompson Baja Boss MT on stock springs.

IMG_7565.jpg
Gorgeous! No issues w the 35s? I've got a 2020 Willys Unlimited and thinking of 33's or 35's
Sponsored

ejewels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW - Black
That's one piece of information that a lot of Willys and other edition owners don't take into account. Hardtops and bumpers. While many think all are the same stiffness, dampening and spring rate (before returning to the Jeep life, I was a regional import racer running a 300whp 2001 MX5 and a 1250whp 1995 RX7 FD owner... wheels and suspension made a huge difference between cornering, ride quality and seconds of acceleration/deceleration). For those who don't understand when I mention the "accessories" on a Jeep, the hardtop and bumpers add weight so just throwing on a set of springs from a plastic bumper/soft top donor will make the Jeep sit higher but a full upgrade setup of hardtop and steel bumpers will require a donor for the same type of options. And vice versa.

Anyways, I opted for just the hardtop and plastic bumpers mainly bc I already had ordered my steel bumpers prior to purchasing my Willys... full ARB shorty front and mid width rear. (Sadly, I broke my leg and haven't had much of a chance to install anything, just sitting in the garage. Thankfully, I'll be walking freely coke Feb then comes the install. 😂
“Require” a matched donor? I went from a soft top to a hard top on my Willy’s and there was no difference in ride height or feel.

OP
OP
DarkhorseJL

DarkhorseJL

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon 2.0L (owned 12 other Jeeps)
Occupation
Behavioral / Clinical Psychologist
“Require” a matched donor? I went from a soft top to a hard top on my Willy’s and there was no difference in ride height or feel.
The suspension is the key. You may have gone from a hard top to a soft, however, the difference in weight doesn’t mean height adjustment but stiffness. You’re adding a heavier top and the rigidity need to sustain the load isn’t substantial per se but it’s accommodating for the weight. You may notice inches but not fractions. Now if you were a Rubicon with factory STEEL bumpers and extras, you’d notice a difference in weight distribution and the added 600lbs in weight, however, if you’re just a sport or Willys with factory plastics and a soft top, then went to the hardtop and added steel bumpers and winch, you’ll drop 1/2 to 3/4” as well as cargo. I adjusted that weight offset by removing my rear jump seat (2 dr JLR), but added it back with the steel cargo tray, 35s, steel bumpers (I built mine with plastics since I knew I was swapping them to the steel bumper I WANTED in lieu of the factory style
 also saved $2500 from MSRP) and threw a 12,000lbs winch. So I removed 150lbs but added 750lbs and I did drop 3/4” so I went with a 4” lift and ended up with all my added weight, hardtop and recovery gear at 3.5” lift. Not making an argument but you have to think mathematically and logically.
Sponsored