First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon
Clubs

I'll echo a few items already said here:
  1. Skip straight to 37s based on your desire for this to be a functional offroader
  2. GMRS is the way to go. I grabbed this set of two because I can charge them up prior to the trip, give a buddy who may not have one my spare, and can even charge them in the card using the AC port if needed.
  3. Skip the dealer because there is no guarantee it will preserve your warranty. I just posted about this topic in this thread and you can see everyone basically says use a body shop.
  4. A teraflex or metaclock 2.5" lift should be perfect for you. Expect this, along with new tires and wheels, to be the lions share of your costs.
Rock crawling, mud bogs, kids learning to off-road.
You need a winch, especially if you're going to have kids using it and they go off by themselves and do something stupid. I'd suggest researching winches, winch plates, and bumpers. You can save some cost here if you find a bumper that doesn't need a winch plate or has one built in.

Finally, there are a couple of companies that do skid plate systems that you can buy individual pieces instead of the whole system at once. This will help spread out some of the cost - you can target the weakest spots and slowly add as needed.
Sponsored

Mocopo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
Definitely stick with 35s IMO, it's a 2dr, it'll go everywhere just fine.

I'd put some money into the skid plates. A full aluminum plate system.
https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/..._Hr9ZIOuvcokmWUCD9xW0sddSrn49t48aAuZWEALw_wcB

personally i was ok with steel (im in AZ, what rust?), so I did metalcloak on my JLUR. Here's the 2 door system:
https://metalcloak.com/2-door-jl-wrangler-undercloak-integrated-armored-system.html

as for bumpers, talk about a million options..... i'd just google JL bumpers and start looking through images to see what you like.

Edit: things to think about with bumpers
What width do you want/need? Stubbies tend to be preferred for rock crawling.
Do you want to reuse factory fog lights? Will you need to buy aftermarket lights?
Do you want/need a bull bar, say to mount a light?
What types of lighting, if any, would you want to mount?
Winch capable? If yes, can the winch sit high, or do you want it recessed to stay out of the way of the front camera?
Do you want to reuse the factory front skid plate, or will you need to buy a new one compatible with the new bumper?

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
Pffft. Better double your budget. I had $10K in parts before my jeep was even built.

Jeep Wrangler JL 21' JLR 2.0 Turbo - Build it! 0D2C4770-308C-415D-84D4-7100028981F6
Sponsored