Sponsored

'21 Diesel Oil Leak on Engine Driver's Side

diezselsmk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURD
I was worried about mine, and looks like I was right to be. first noted oil leaking under 250 miles. I cleaned it all up and its back. still under 500 mikes, and after driving it smells like burning oil. no big drips yet like others have, but seems to be in 2 different spots. one on the back of the engine, and one up front. I am worried about taking it in as I may never get it back. sales tax not even paid yet, and may be dropping it off for who knows how long. part of me wants to hold off until its more obvious like others in here.

57347ECC-E84B-4186-9B87-AC3FA119574D.jpeg

FDC251DC-DA7F-4EBB-9177-E114F4AFEBC2.jpeg

I would drive this and put some miles on.. diesels run hot in these new def models and they tend to heal the small leaks like yours. check and make sure it not overfull in oil as this would cause higher internal pressure in the motor.
Sponsored

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
I would drive this and put some miles on.. diesels run hot in these new def models and they tend to heal the small leaks like yours. check and make sure it not overfull in oil as this would cause higher internal pressure in the motor.
I was thinking of doing that for sure. I wanted to out on 1500 to 2000 miles to see if it keeps happening. I actually really, really like it and will be upset if it has a major issue. on my other JLs i was frustrated, but was not all that concerned at the thought of getting a different one.

diezselsmk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURD
I was thinking of doing that for sure. I wanted to out on 1500 to 2000 miles to see if it keeps happening. I actually really, really like it and will be upset if it has a major issue. on my other JLs i was frustrated, but was not all that concerned at the thought of getting a different one.

its a good little motor. I would check fluids and take a long road trip. I live in Texas but purchased mine in Idaho. I ran a ton of trails from Idaho back to Texas took 2 weeks to get home. I have not had one leak or oil consumption issues. remember to drive it like it you mean it, diesels don't like being babied.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
its a good little motor. I would check fluids and take a long road trip. I live in Texas but purchased mine in Idaho. I ran a ton of trails from Idaho back to Texas took 2 weeks to get home. I have not had one leak or oil consumption issues. remember to drive it like it you mean it, diesels don't like being babied.
babying it won't be a concern lol. I spend every weekend here in the AZ heat on the trails. Also already took two smaller longer trips just to get some highway miles on it.

Overland Productions

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.offroadsupplyco.com
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Vehicle Showcase
I was worried about mine, and looks like I was right to be. first noted oil leaking under 250 miles. I cleaned it all up and its back. still under 500 mikes, and after driving it smells like burning oil. no big drips yet like others have, but seems to be in 2 different spots. one on the back of the engine, and one up front. I am worried about taking it in as I may never get it back. sales tax not even paid yet, and may be dropping it off for who knows how long. part of me wants to hold off until its more obvious like others in here.
go by and start a conversation. Have them order the applicable part numbers. For instance, if it's the timing cover then make sure they have this tube kit ( 68524869AA ) on hand before dropping it off. You will be driving it for the next couple of months while they wait for parts to arrive. During that time the leak will get progressively worse.

Sponsored

Rubisramansbestfriend

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 3.0, HD Breakout 114, Unimog, GT500
My 21 JLURD is sitting at my dealer waiting to be picked up. I ordered it in August and it arrived on Wednesday. I own a heavy haul trucking company and we just finished moving a 1.2 million pound oil refractor over 1000 miles. All these issues are disconcerting. I do however have a badass crew of diesel mechanics in my shop. If and when an issue arises I'll take my master tech to jeep with me.

SargeRubi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
I had a leak exactly where you had yours in the pics. I had the oil filter housing replaced. 4 months sitting at the dealer for the back ordered part. I got it back the car overheated because they didnt bleed the cooling system or drive the car. They said they cleaned the oil and there was no leak. I didnt notice any leak when I got the car as my garage floor was clean. I drove it a couple hundred miles and notice some oil in the same location again but no leak on the floor. Not sure if its old oil or spillage from the oil change or I have a leak again. Needless to say Im kinda upset and not sure if I should take it back to get checked out.

Kahoots

First Name
Jerri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler eco diesel
Thanks for the information, I have a 2021 eco diesel with 6100 miles. Noticed some spots on garage floor. After looking it appears to be leaking oil from oil Filter housing where it bolts to the block dropped it off at the dealer yesterday.so disappointed- this is the second jeep in 18 months. I traded the first one back in because the dealer wouldnā€™t recognize that there was a problem it was a gas engine and it smoked at start up smoking started on gas powered vehicle at 300 miles and continued until I traded it in when I ordered this 2021 eco-diesel.

KNN

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport Diesel
Was hoping to avoid this thread but my engine is leaking now too. The 3.0 is awesome but seems more than a few of us have experienced this leak. Guess this has become the de facto thread sadly..ā€¦

Jeep Wrangler JL '21 Diesel Oil Leak on Engine Driver's Side D219E8CA-3211-48FB-AC9C-0BD86659CB40

Jeep Wrangler JL '21 Diesel Oil Leak on Engine Driver's Side DDEE8ABE-108C-49BF-BC5D-A0652484CBE1

Alesimo

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JLUD
Just found mine... the main difference in my situation is I found it at 22,000 miles... I was under it recently and didn't see anything then got under there yesterday and lots of oil everywhere. Also, my coolant level was extremely low.

Sponsored

KNN

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport Diesel
Just found mine... the main difference in my situation is I found it at 22,000 miles... I was under it recently and didn't see anything then got under there yesterday and lots of oil everywhere. Also, my coolant level was extremely low.
Same w/ mine. Itā€™s at 26k miles. I noticed it was leaking sooner but it wasnā€™t bad (nothing visible on floor and no pooling). My coolant level is below min line as well.

Alesimo

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JLUD
What the heck? I take mine in on Tuesday, so we shall see. Hopefully, this isn't a crazy long process.

Reactions: KNN

KNN

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport Diesel
What the heck? I take mine in on Tuesday, so we shall see. Hopefully, this isn't a crazy long process.
Good luck! Make sure to post a follow-up. I canā€™t stand the dealership so Iā€™ll be very interested to hear what their solution is.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Was hoping to avoid this thread but my engine is leaking now too. The 3.0 is awesome but seems more than a few of us have experienced this leak. Guess this has become the de facto thread sadly..ā€¦

Jeep Wrangler JL '21 Diesel Oil Leak on Engine Driver's Side DDEE8ABE-108C-49BF-BC5D-A0652484CBE1

So sorry to hear this! If you plan to visit a dealer and need an extra layer of support, send us a private message.

Kate
Jeep Cares

jc99

First Name
jc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD
Anyone find a cause of the low coolant? I have a diesel gladiator with 13K on it and it was low on coolant (1/2-3/4"" below the low line). Dealership topped it up and I'll monitor it, but I am about to take 6000km trip...

I also have some oil leaks on the drivers side. Dealer says it looks like its the oil filter housing. Initially they kept saying it was just spillage from an oil change, but I've been back 3 times now and each time they cleaned it, so this last time they said they need to replace the oi filter housing seal.

Also have some old (not fresh) oil on the bottom of the black harmonic balancer cover on the front of the engine.
Sponsored