'21 Diesel Oil Leak on Engine Driver's Side

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
I have already raised that with the Jeep rep, and was really hoping to avoid that, until the overheating issue. Legally we have met the state requirements as a nonconforming vehicle.

We have a permit and Dollhouse reservations for my & buddy's bdays that first week in June. It's been 10+ years since I was last able to get back in there. If I lemon the Jeep I can almost guarantee that we don't have a Jeep in time for that trip. (order and delivery time alone)

We already spent all last summer without a vehicle after a local dealer tried to screw us down with trade value by $9k then upped the purchase price by $7k after we sold it ourselves that weekend.

I'd switch to a Bronco but those won't be available for months to a year. For the cost of our Jeep though I could have a pretty nice X5, Macan S, Defender 110, or any other number of nice vehicles. The dealer experience is enough to have me considering them again.
Man at this point, out of those choices, I'd go grab a defender and see how it does. If you don't like it get something else. Life is too short.
Sponsored

GS1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon
I am the latest victim to the Ecodiesel oil leaks. They replaced the timing cover and a week later a new oil leak popped up. 2021 Wrangler with less than 5000 miles. Three weeks in the shop now and the only resolution is to tear down the motor. I repeat tear down the motor on a $65K vehicle with only 5K miles. The dealer has been great to work with and I know they are concerned and feel my frustrations. I did the whole Jeep Cares (they dont) and they opened a Star Case with not very good outcomes.

Jeep Wrangler JL '21 Diesel Oil Leak on Engine Driver's Side 7BC67127-A6C8-48C3-AA2F-1F668E472D8C_1_201_a

Last edited:

MCJA

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon EcoDiesel
I am the latest victim to the Ecodiesel oil leaks. They replaced the timing cover and a week later a new oil leak popped up. 2021 Wrangler with less than 5000 miles. Three weeks in the shop now and the only resolution is to tear down the motor. I repeat tear down the motor on a $65K vehicle with only 5K miles. The dealer has been great to work with and I know they are concerned and feel my frustrations. I did the whole Jeep Cares (they dont) and they opened a Star Case with not very good outcomes.

Jeep Wrangler JL '21 Diesel Oil Leak on Engine Driver's Side 7BC67127-A6C8-48C3-AA2F-1F668E472D8C_1_201_a
Sorry to hear it, GS1974. It's encouraging to hear that your dealership has been great to work with. Having a good dealership makes a huge difference.

I wish you the best of luck in your resolution, sir! Keep us posted!

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Here where I live, I was able to find a dealership located in a rural farming community that has a diesel mechanic on their technician staff. The only thing he does is work on diesels. I have had excellent luck there. He fixed my leak and was very thorough and I haven't seen another drop leak from the engine in the last 12,000 miles.

I have a feeling that near large cities where there aren't as many diesel trucks, lots of these dealer technicians are probably not very well versed in working on them because they don't see many of them.

OP
OP
GearWhore

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
Well that really sucks. Sorry you are now "one of us."

Sponsored

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
I have a Eco-Diesel on a train to the dealership right now and am starting to get worried. this wil be my 4th JLUR, my 2018 and 2019 were repurchased. my 2020 was great but I wanted a diesel. Now im thinking I should have stuck with the V6 like my first few.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
I also have the timing cover leak. also waiting on the tube kit to arrive (68524869AA) as it's on backorder. 30+ days in the shop right now.
How many miles on it before it started?

Ironpot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL rubicon diesel
Hi, at 1400 miles I observed oil drops in my garage so I took the Jeep over to the dealer, they looked it over for a week and told me it was completely dry. At 1700 miles I noticed another drop and took the JL over to the dealer. Dealer said we found your leak and it’s the oil cooler gasket. They said we’ll have your Jeep back in a week. The end of the week they called me and said it’s not the oil cooler gasket but the head gasket. Service told me they’ll know more in a few days if they have to replace the head gasket or the whole head. If all goes well they will have had it 2 weeks and totally taken my engine apart.

Sponsored

AZ-Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
Hi, at 1400 miles I observed oil drops in my garage so I took the Jeep over to the dealer, they looked it over for a week and told me it was completely dry. At 1700 miles I noticed another drop and took the JL over to the dealer. Dealer said we found your leak and it’s the oil cooler gasket. They said we’ll have your Jeep back in a week. The end of the week they called me and said it’s not the oil cooler gasket but the head gasket. Service told me they’ll know more in a few days if they have to replace the head gasket or the whole head. If all goes well they will have had it 2 weeks and totally taken my engine apart.
Out of my own selfish curiosity, which dealership is doing the work?

Overland Productions

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.offroadsupplyco.com
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Vehicle Showcase
Mine is still stuck on a lift waiting on parts for over a month. Two trips to get the leak diagnosed.

Austintatious

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKUS / 2021 JLUSD
This thread kind of reminds me of the Ram 1500 Ecodiesel "catastrophic failure" thread - I had a 2016 Ram ED and it seemed like they were all chewing up main bearings (Gen 1). I never had an issue with mine during the 26K miles I had it before I sold it, but I have to admit I would wonder every time I took off on a road trip if I was going to be the next one to post..........

I guess now I'm going to be crawling under my '21 JLUD every weekend looking for wet spots.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
I was worried about mine, and looks like I was right to be. first noted oil leaking under 250 miles. I cleaned it all up and its back. still under 500 mikes, and after driving it smells like burning oil. no big drips yet like others have, but seems to be in 2 different spots. one on the back of the engine, and one up front. I am worried about taking it in as I may never get it back. sales tax not even paid yet, and may be dropping it off for who knows how long. part of me wants to hold off until its more obvious like others in here.

57347ECC-E84B-4186-9B87-AC3FA119574D.jpeg

FDC251DC-DA7F-4EBB-9177-E114F4AFEBC2.jpeg
Sponsored