Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
Repair was oil leak on turbo oil line with 3000 miles or so. Now I have 4500 on the motor and leaking again
Leaking on driver or passenger side? Sounds like turbo is passenger side oil, timing chain cover is driver side. Pretty shitty if you end up with both before 5k!
Sponsored

OP
OP
GearWhore

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
I stopped by the dealership last weekend to pick up our National Parks pass from the Jeep glove box. I noticed the Jeep had 4 additional miles on it than it did when loaded onto the flatbed at my house. It has been at the dealership for almost 6 weeks now.

Anyone have any ideas why there would be so many miles? Especially on a vehicle that was towed in with an oil leak and no oil on the dipstick? Not like they had to test drive it to feel something was wrong. Or even drive it to get the oil up to temperature.

Anthonyb1969

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jlur diesel
I stopped by the dealership last weekend to pick up our National Parks pass from the Jeep glove box. I noticed the Jeep had 4 additional miles on it than it did when loaded onto the flatbed at my house. It has been at the dealership for almost 6 weeks now.

Anyone have any ideas why there would be so many miles? Especially on a vehicle that was towed in with an oil leak and no oil on the dipstick? Not like they had to test drive it to feel something was wrong. Or even drive it to get the oil up to temperature.
Ask the dealership why so many miles. Did you take a picture of before odometer so that you can prove to them this was the mileage in there shop or on the tow truck?

First Name
Brody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
May be premature, but might want to read up on some of these items specifically for your state. All 50 states recognize new car Lemon Law. For Utah, the clause includes nonconformity related to defect, malfunction, or condition that fails to conform to the express warranty, or substantially impairs the use, safety, or value of a motor vehicle.

https://dmv.utah.gov/buying-selling/lemon-law

https://le.utah.gov/xcode/Title41/Chapter3/41-3-S407.html

That being said, I am not well versed in this topic or your state (I live in PA) but I am currently awaiting my delivery of my JLUR EcoDiesel so trying to do ample due diligence.

Hope this help in some capacity

OP
OP
GearWhore

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
@Anthonyb1969 Yes, I took a photo of the odometer as it was loaded onto the flatbead and again when we stopped by to get the parks pass 10 days ago. I was looking through photos on my phone yesterday and noticed the difference. I email the Jeep Cares/Wave case manager to ask her for more info.

@TheDogFather57 I have been looking into Utah lemon law (Code Title 13, Chapter 20) for a few weeks now. 4 repair attempts or "the vehicle is out of service to the consumer because of repair for a cumulative total of 30 or more business days during the warranty term or during the one-year period." Monday it will qualify under that (Section 5).

My wife and I really like the Jeep. We don't want to get another and go through the entire process, however we've been without a very expensive special-order Jeep for over 22% of our ownership. We've had to cancel 1 big trip and 1 small one because we don't have the Jeep. And then when we do get it back, do we trust it?

Other than 3 nights in hotels, the Jeep has been garaged since the day we bought it. Now it has spent the last 6 weeks outside on a dealer back lot. I had cleaned it the day I notice the oil leak, and the two times I've now seen it sitting in the lot it is covered in nasty. I know they're designed to live outside, but it's just less care than I give to my vehicle.

Sponsored

No Spark V6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubi 3.0 GCM
Clubs

4321 miles saw it on the driver side today. Hasn't been enough to drip on the garage floor. I think I'm going to wipe it up the best I can, drive it a little more and hopefully get a better idea where its coming from. Second picture looks like there is an upper and lower timing cover. Split between the two looks dry but the right side of the upper looks like oil.

Jeep Wrangler JL '21 Diesel Oil Leak on Engine Driver's Side 20210320_151205
Jeep Wrangler JL '21 Diesel Oil Leak on Engine Driver's Side VideoCapture_20210320-162011
Jeep Wrangler JL '21 Diesel Oil Leak on Engine Driver's Side VideoCapture_20210320-161828

OP
OP
GearWhore

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
Let them know now! This seems to be all too common now. Hopefully you can get on the list for replacement parts, as I am now at 6 weeks and still waiting...

No Spark V6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubi 3.0 GCM
Clubs

Let them know now! This seems to be all too common now. Hopefully you can get on the list for replacement parts, as I am now at 6 weeks and still waiting...
I wouldnt mind waiting 6 weeks if I get to keep driving my jeep in the meantime. 6 weeks of it sitting outside on the dealer lot I'm not sure I can deal with.

I'll drive it around tomorrow and see if/where it starts leaking again now that I wiped it down and if it does I guess I'll have to take it in.

OP
OP
GearWhore

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
Well, today marks 43 consecutive days without our Jeep; 30 business days. Jeep is now officially a "nonconforming motor vehicle" (lemon) under Utah law. No word from dealer since March 12, when they said they had the parts and were working on it. No word from @JeepCares since last Thursday saying the dealer had the parts and was working on it.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
4321 miles saw it on the driver side today. Hasn't been enough to drip on the garage floor. I think I'm going to wipe it up the best I can, drive it a little more and hopefully get a better idea where its coming from. Second picture looks like there is an upper and lower timing cover. Split between the two looks dry but the right side of the upper looks like oil.

Jeep Wrangler JL '21 Diesel Oil Leak on Engine Driver's Side VideoCapture_20210320-161828
Sorry to hear this, No Spark V6. If this gets worse or you would like any assistance working with a dealer, please send us a private message.

Kate
Jeep Cares

Well, today marks 43 consecutive days without our Jeep; 30 business days. Jeep is now officially a "nonconforming motor vehicle" (lemon) under Utah law. No word from dealer since March 12, when they said they had the parts and were working on it. No word from @JeepCares since last Thursday saying the dealer had the parts and was working on it.
We are very sorry to hear of the delay here, GearWhore. I don't see any private messages from you on my end, are you working with the phone or email team? If you'd like, we can update a case and ask that you are contacted immediately with any updates, just send us a private message.

Kate
Jeep Cares

Sponsored

OP
OP
GearWhore

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
Picked up our Jeep this morning. Electrical failure after oil leak repair and Jeep would not start. Sounds like most of the last week was spent chasing that failure. Replaced fuse case and then PCM. Engine cover was loose and at least one of the fasteners was missing when I opened the hood at home to take a look around. I filed my @JeepCares case through the Jeep Owners website on March 2nd and have been working through email and phone now with two representatives.

OP
OP
GearWhore

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
ANOTHER FRESH OIL LEAK!!!

My wife was leaving for errands this afternoon and I noticed a small puddle of fresh oil, under the passenger side this time. Had her stop so I could look. There were drops on the bottom of the frame crossmember behind the radiator, on the low power steering hose, around the swaybar bushing, and that general area behind the passenger side of the radiator.

She left, and when she came back a couple of hours later, I heard her coming up the street before I could see her because the cooling fan was running full tilt and louder than I've ever heard on a passenger vehicle. I couldn't hear the diesel climbing the hill or idling up close. I took a couple of videos to show the tech when it goes back.

I also noticed at least one of the bolts/fasteners holding down the engine cover is missing. Many of the wire loom clips (that hold the wires apart and in place) were never reconnected, either. The indifference shown really makes me question the quality and care put into the repair.

Another dealer visit scheduled for Friday morning. Day 45 in the shop.

OP
OP
GearWhore

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
We tried to drive the Jeep up to visit my sister this morning. Made it about 15-20 miles and the engine overheated and cut power. Horrible spot to do so; uphill just as the highway reduced from 2 lanes to 1 for road construction and along a bridge. Jeep dropped from 55 mph to less than 30 in seconds and I was almost overrun by two large trucks. I pulled off the road after the bridge to calm down and assess.

Pulled up the offroad pages accessory gauges and pulled back onto the road after traffic cleared. Overheated two more times over a couple miles before I was able to find a place to safely turn around. My wife took a few photos of the gauges the second and third times. Ambient air temp was only 33-34 degrees (as shown in the photos).

Cooling fan is running full-tilt most of the time the Jeep is running, and LOUD! Jeep is now certainly worse mechanically and less safe than it was when it went in for the oil leak.

Overheat #2 Today
Jeep Wrangler JL '21 Diesel Oil Leak on Engine Driver's Side Jeep Overheat 1

Overheat #3 Today
Jeep Wrangler JL '21 Diesel Oil Leak on Engine Driver's Side Jeep Overheat 2

Floating, disconnected wiring loom (one of several) under the hood after oil leak repair; I think this one is the engine block heater).
Jeep Wrangler JL '21 Diesel Oil Leak on Engine Driver's Side Disconnected Wiring Loom

Fastener missing from front of engine cover after oil leak repair.
Jeep Wrangler JL '21 Diesel Oil Leak on Engine Driver's Side Fastener Missin

Oil pan front after oil leak repair.
Jeep Wrangler JL '21 Diesel Oil Leak on Engine Driver's Side Oil Pan from Front

Upper oil pan casting and RTV.
Jeep Wrangler JL '21 Diesel Oil Leak on Engine Driver's Side Upper Oil Pan and RTV

Drivers side of upper oil pan and RTV.
Jeep Wrangler JL '21 Diesel Oil Leak on Engine Driver's Side Upper Drivers Side of Oil Pan

OP
OP
GearWhore

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
Just lemon law the damn thing and be done with it.
I have already raised that with the Jeep rep, and was really hoping to avoid that, until the overheating issue. Legally we have met the state requirements as a nonconforming vehicle.

We have a permit and Dollhouse reservations for my & buddy's bdays that first week in June. It's been 10+ years since I was last able to get back in there. If I lemon the Jeep I can almost guarantee that we don't have a Jeep in time for that trip. (order and delivery time alone)

We already spent all last summer without a vehicle after a local dealer tried to screw us down with trade value by $9k then upped the purchase price by $7k after we sold it ourselves that weekend.

I'd switch to a Bronco but those won't be available for months to a year. For the cost of our Jeep though I could have a pretty nice X5, Macan S, Defender 110, or any other number of nice vehicles. The dealer experience is enough to have me considering them again.
Sponsored