Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
I’ve got a small leak on mine too. It’s above the oil pan so who knows. I know I have 5400 miles and oil barely touches the bottom of the dip
stick
Oh man, that sucks! Not a great look with all of these leaks starting to present themselves on the new Gen 3 ecodiesel. I'm seeing more posts about this in the Ram forums, too.

I called the dealer yesterday and service writer said they're still waiting on 1 backorder part for mine. No ETA "but hopefully later this week or next."

She said the tech says the engine was 1.5 qt low when it arrived, so not as bad as it could be, but not great.

They still maintain it is the timing chain cover cover. How and why that would fail so early really concerns me.
Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Last summer when they did my timing cover, it only took a week to get parts and then another week to repair. One of my injectors was already frozen up in the head. Had about 5,000 miles on the odo at that time. It's been about 9 months since then and so far no leaks.

Unfortunately the timing cover leak is pretty common on the Gen 3 engine.

OP
OP
GearWhore

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
Last summer when they did my timing cover, it only took a week to get parts and then another week to repair. One of my injectors was already frozen up in the head. Had about 5,000 miles on the odo at that time. It's been about 9 months since then and so far no leaks.

Unfortunately the timing cover leak is pretty common on the Gen 3 engine.
I've been reading through your ordeal on here, JT, and Ram forums. Good to hear you haven't had an issue again. I am surprised at the number of these leaking, all under 10k miles, yet no parts availability to do the repair. And no fix in the manufacturing processes.

I was really excited to get the diesel in a Wrangler after our positive experience in the 2018 Grand. Really do like the drivetrain fit to our use. But these early issues on what, year 3 of Gen3 production has me really question the quality control and ultimate longevity of it. And then have that nagging in the back of my mind when I'm in the middle of nowhere with a day or more walk to cell service.

OP
OP
GearWhore

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
No real update other than still waiting on a backordered part. Jeep has now been at the dealer 29 days and counting. Spoke with a case manager from the Jeep Wave program this morning and she is requesting the part be expedited, whatever that means.

Sponsored

OP
OP
GearWhore

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
Well... Looks like im joining the leak club. However im at 25K Km.
Well, shit. That sucks. Hopefully yours is resolved quickly. I'm at 30-days in the shop today and counting...

OP
OP
GearWhore

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
Day 35 in the shop update: Confusing calls from the dealer and @JeepCares on Friday. Dealer called just after 9 to say they have the parts and my Jeep is in the service bay. Jeep case manager calls less than an hour later and says she is still unable to locate and expedite the remaining backorder part.

And still we wait. Had to cancel the backcountry Jeep trip we had planned for my wife's spring break last week (literally one of the reasons we sold our Grand and bought this Jeep). I fully acknowledge the privilege that conveys, but I'm just really disappointed in Jeep with this engine component failure at low mileage, and now the 5+ weeks of part unavailability. I've made 2 vehicle payments and 2 insurance payments, +registration for a vehicle completely out of my possession.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
If you look at the videos of a bunch of unenthused assembly line workers at the Toledo plant building these Jeeps, who couldn't wait to get out of their 'boring' job. You wouldn't be surprised that these issues are cropping up.

OP
OP
GearWhore

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
This seems to be a common enough issue with these Gen 3 ecodiesels. Several posts with this exact leak or a leak on the other side coming from the turbo oil lines on here and in Ram forums. Part availability seems to be slightly worse than it was last spring and summer as these issues were starting to show.

Sponsored

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
If you look at the videos of a bunch of unenthused assembly line workers at the Toledo plant building these Jeeps, who couldn't wait to get out of their 'boring' job. You wouldn't be surprised that these issues are cropping up.
Are the engines assembled in Toledo? Or America for that matter?

OP
OP
GearWhore

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
The 3.0-liter EcoDiesel V-6 is produced at the FCA Cento facility in Ferrara, Italy.

Anthonyb1969

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jlur diesel
I’m leaking again with 4500 miles on motor this is the 2nd time for this.this is on the passenger side.

8D1EEF9E-69CE-4CCE-8670-B99864977204.jpeg

1EB997FB-5046-4A81-B4FA-8157C59E48A6.png

9C9A95E9-38B5-44BC-A897-7380B8FCF91C.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
GearWhore

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
What was the repair the first time? How many miles the first time?

Mine is still waiting on a backordered part. 38 days now.

Anthonyb1969

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jlur diesel
What was the repair the first time? How many miles the first time?

Mine is still waiting on a backordered part. 38 days now.
Repair was oil leak on turbo oil line with 3000 miles or so. Now I have 4500 on the motor and leaking again
Sponsored