Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Build Update: 1 Year Later

Nearly 1 year into ownership and I've had an absolute blast with this Jeep. In that time I've traveled from Maryland to Virginia, to West Virginia, to Pennsylvania, to New Jersey, and New York, and all along the east coast down to Florida. Went rock crawling at Peters Mill Run, camped out the back on various road trips, and woke up in the back to a sunrise in Myrtle Beach, SC. The design, comfort, features, functionality of this Jeep all more than meet my needs and in many ways EXCEED them. This has been my first experience with Jeep and I honestly have ZERO complaints. Could some things be better? Absolutely. Are there areas that need improvement? Without a doubt. But considering the uniqueness of this vehicle, its obvious capability both on and off road, it has been an experience unlike any other vehicle I've had. It's brought me closer to nature and the outdoors and it's even helped me challenge myself to step out my comfort zone. An added bonus is that I've met some really cool people along the way! Who can honestly say that about their vehicle besides Jeep owners? It's truly in a class of its own and I'm excited for what the next year has in store.

The photos below were taken at Assateague Island National Seashore in Maryland. I've spent much of this summer driving a few hours to take advantage of the sun and real estate here. Plus I've been able to put my Rhino Rack roof rack and batwing awning to good use!

Full list of mods I've installed on the Jeep in the last 6 months:

Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform
Rough Country Tailgate Table
WARN Grille Guard Tube
Maximus-3 Front License Plate Bracket
Diode Dynamics Clear LED Side Markers
Diode Dynamics SS3 Max LED Amber Fog Lights

Side steps & winch are on order and will be covered in the next update. :)

Jeep Wrangler JL '21 Bright White JLUR IMG_2822

Jeep Wrangler JL '21 Bright White JLUR 915D3F3A-7D01-40E3-A241-E6FE6662C494_1_105_c

pepeborja

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Jeep TJ, 2012 Acura MDX, 2017 BMW i3
Thank you for sharing. I am in a similar situation as you were a “year plus” ago and it is refreshing to see that 37s and monster lifts are not always where is at.

One thing you have not covered in your journal is the engine and how it has been during your time with the Jeep. Can you expand and share on this topic? Thanks!

OP
OP
DSW21

DSW21

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for sharing. I am in a similar situation as you were a “year plus” ago and it is refreshing to see that 37s and monster lifts are not always where is at.

One thing you have not covered in your journal is the engine and how it has been during your time with the Jeep. Can you expand and share on this topic? Thanks!
Absolutely! Thanks for the feedback

Sponsored

JayElYu

First Name
Eeeh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Great posts and YouTube videos. Would you share how you created the difitzed version of your Rubi. I’d love to do that for my ride.

OP
OP
DSW21

DSW21

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Sneek peek into the latest update of the build... more pics to come! :rock:

Jeep Wrangler JL '21 Bright White JLUR Image_20220629_155547_703

Sponsored

StormyMidwest

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR bright white (ordered 7/19/2022)
Well so much for sticking with the stock wheels....

Decided to go with Method 701 wheels which are sitting on 35” Mickey Thompsons with 1.75" spacers and stock suspension. Better pictures to follow!

Method 701 Matte Black Wheels (17x8.5 / 0 offset)
Mickey Thompson BAJA ATZ P3s (LT315/70R17)
G2 Hub Centric Wheel Spacers (1.75")
Iron Cross Tire Relocation Plate
Pro Comp Lug Nuts

How did the tire change affect drivability/handling? How does it handle at higher speeds (75+ mph)? I love this look and want to make mine a little more off-roadable, but it's my daily driver and I don't want to upset drivability. Thank you.

OP
OP
DSW21

DSW21

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
How did the tire change affect drivability/handling? How does it handle at higher speeds (75+ mph)? I love this look and want to make mine a little more off-roadable, but it's my daily driver and I don't want to upset drivability. Thank you.
Drivability was a noticeable difference after the install, and not in a good way. But this was primarily due to the spacers. I would advise against using spacers altogether unless they're really needed. I removed them a couple hundred miles in and it was a night and day difference. Slightly more road noise, but felt comfortable to drive.

Fast forward to now, I now have an AEV lift and it's much more comfortable than the stock Rubicon lift. Corners better. Feels a lot more planted. Absorbs bumps a lot better. Just a great lift overall for a daily commuter. And more than capable off road.

As for the wheels and tires, I have no complaints. I do believe however the tires I'm running have been discontinued by Mickey Thompson. I hear great things about the new MT Baja Bosses so maybe look into those. I will be going a different route in a few months so I will eventually be parting ways with the current wheel/tire setup.

Cheers.

StormyMidwest

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Drivability was a noticeable difference after the install, and not in a good way. But this was primarily due to the spacers. I would advise against using spacers altogether unless they're really needed. I removed them a couple hundred miles in and it was a night and day difference. Slightly more road noise, but felt comfortable to drive.

Fast forward to now, I now have an AEV lift and it's much more comfortable than the stock Rubicon lift. Corners better. Feels a lot more planted. Absorbs bumps a lot better. Just a great lift overall for a daily commuter. And more than capable off road.

As for the wheels and tires, I have no complaints. I do believe however the tires I'm running have been discontinued by Mickey Thompson. I hear great things about the new MT Baja Bosses so maybe look into those. I will be going a different route in a few months so I will eventually be parting ways with the current wheel/tire setup.

Cheers.
Thanks for responding so quickly. Would offset wheels produce the same issue with drivability as the spacers? I'm a noob, sorry if that's a dumb question. I'm just a girl who wants to get into some trails and still have the aesthetic I'm looking for.

OP
OP
DSW21

DSW21

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for responding so quickly. Would offset wheels produce the same issue with drivability as the spacers? I'm a noob, sorry if that's a dumb question. I'm just a girl who wants to get into some trails and still have the aesthetic I'm looking for.
No worries. I bought the spacers originally for the aesthetic and extra clearance in the fender. But a negative offset wheel would have achieved what I wanted without sacrificing so much ride quality. And while spacers are generally safe, I felt as though I may run into issues down the road. So I just removed them altogether.

If you're concerned about daily driving and comfort level, I would be more concerned tire size/type. For example, 33" ATs will have significantly feel than 37" MTs. Just depends on what you want for your needs.

Jeep Wrangler JL '21 Bright White JLUR 1658153593700

StormyMidwest

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No worries. I bought the spacers originally for the aesthetic and extra clearance in the fender. But a negative offset wheel would have achieved what I wanted without sacrificing so much ride quality. And while spacers are generally safe, I felt as though I may run into issues down the road. So I just removed them altogether.

If you're concerned about daily driving and comfort level, I would be more concerned tire size/type. For example, 33" ATs will have significantly feel than 37" MTs. Just depends on what you want for your needs.

1658153593700.png
Thank you for helping me understand. My goal is to add 35 ATs, nothing bigger, and offset wheels. I will also not be adding a lift. I just don't want to make the drive an issue. I was stuck between spacers and offsets, but I think you cleared that up for me. Thanks so much for taking the time to respond.
Sponsored