Sponsored

20k recommended cabin filter change, no way!

OP
OP

zeebo56

First Name
Zee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
Vehicle Showcase
Yep I agree, is there an oil that you apply like the air filter or is it just wash and re-use?
I believe the KN cabin filter has a recharge kit but not necessarily with oil. some type of spray though which I haven't really looked into.

The AFE intake filter you just wash and let dry. Nothing is added to it.

Your cabin filter does not look too bad. I have seen bad. Even if you do not use your HVAC, there is still air flow through the filter, when driving forward, due to the vehicles flow through ventilation system.

In the photo below, no money was wasted repacing this cabin filter. In my opinion this is bad. šŸ¤£

01a-jp-clogged-cabin-air-filter.jpg
Yeah that is crazy bad. But I like to keep things clean and this Jeep is my first new vehicle so I try to baby it unless I am on a trail and I just want to get the full experience out of it. I do regular oil changes (engine and differential) as well as clean intake and cabin filter now.

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
That isnā€™t anything. This from my winter beater with 115k I bought. I am sure there are worse examples.

80D1C4BB-231B-40F8-9C1E-BF61F31B4F1D.jpeg

OP
OP

zeebo56

First Name
Zee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I guess the main thing is, you paid $35k plus depending on what Jeep you bought. Are you going to spend an extra $10 a year to keep things well maintained? Especially when it takes 2 min to swap out. I don't see the reason not to do it. What I showed in my original post is dirtier than I would want to have something that sits between me and the outside environment. Even if it isn't that extreme like some of the examples being shown.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Or simply remove it completely. Roughly half of the vehicles out there don't even have the option of a cabin filter. Really it's just adding another thing that needs to be replaced.
Your numbers are way off. The only popular modern vehicles that donā€™t have them are last generation Chevy pickups / tahoes and A few fleet specific base model cab and chassis application vehicles. You can either replace a cabin air filter every few thousand miles for 20 bucks or replace a heater core or evaporator for several hundred to several thousand depending on the vehicle.

Sponsored

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
Your numbers are way off. The only popular modern vehicles that donā€™t have them are last generation Chevy pickups / tahoes and A few fleet specific base model cab and chassis application vehicles. You can either replace a cabin air filter every few thousand miles for 20 bucks or replace a heater core or evaporator for several hundred to several thousand depending on the vehicle.
Two things - Ford trucks too (and I would imagine Dodge also but I don't know first hand), and even cars - the first car I ever had that had a cabin filter was a 2006 Cadillac STS-V, and that was my ninth car. Second, even if you just take the Chevy and Ford trucks, that's a MASSIVE amount of vehicles.

And this is really kind of a silly argument, it doesn't change the point. The point is not to worry so much about a cabin filter on a vehicle that still has a STEERING BOX and SOLID AXLES for God's sake.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I guess the main thing is, you paid $35k plus depending on what Jeep you bought. Are you going to spend an extra $10 a year to keep things well maintained? Especially when it takes 2 min to swap out. I don't see the reason not to do it. What I showed in my original post is dirtier than I would want to have something that sits between me and the outside environment. Even if it isn't that extreme like some of the examples being shown.
Meh, Iā€™m at 18,500 miles and just over 2 years. With tons of trail driving and a worse than normal fire season here in the northwest. Checked my filter yesterday and itā€™s dirty but not terrible. 20k miles looks about perfect for mine.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Two things - Ford trucks too (and I would imagine Dodge also but I don't know first hand), and even cars - the first car I ever had that had a cabin filter was a 2006 Cadillac STS-V, and that was my ninth car. Second, even if you just take the Chevy and Ford trucks, that's a MASSIVE amount of vehicles.

And this is really kind of a silly argument, it doesn't change the point. The point is not to worry so much about a cabin filter on a vehicle that still has a STEERING BOX and SOLID AXLES for God's sake.
Never mind taking the top and doors off regularly.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

my jeeps interior looks worse than OPs cabin filter. i guess filter doesnt really matter when your top is off all the time lol.

afe makes an oiled filter (wet) and a dry filter. OP has the dry filter. you can wash it wish soapy water. if you want to have a nice clean filter all the time, this is the way.

OP
OP

zeebo56

First Name
Zee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
my jeeps interior looks worse than OPs cabin filter. i guess filter doesnt really matter when your top is off all the time lol.

afe makes an oiled filter (wet) and a dry filter. OP has the dry filter. you can wash it wish soapy water. if you want to have a nice clean filter all the time, this is the way.
This is the way

Sponsored

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
That isnā€™t anything. This from my winter beater with 115k I bought. I am sure there are worse examples.

Jeep Wrangler JL 20k recommended cabin filter change, no way! 80D1C4BB-231B-40F8-9C1E-BF61F31B4F1D
Damn I could grow some tomatoes on that thing.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service

That's a really stupid argument.