Not open for further replies.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Yes but it's not nearly the amount of adjustability offered in the average power seat.
Yes, Kevin. Incrementalism. For those who believe fractional adjustments are necessary.
Sponsored

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
The manually-operated driver's seat in the Wrangler JL can be moved fore or aft, and the seatback can be reclined. Seat height and lumbar support can be adjusted individually, also. We're not suffering for choice here.
At proper seat height, reclining one click forward and one click back is too large of a difference and makes me feel like I'm either leaning too far forward or too far back. Without making other goofy changes that don't reflect a proper seating position (raising the seat far too high or pushing the lumbar out an uncomfortable amount), it literally causes me back pain during my 45 minute commute.

Just because the granularity of available positions doesn't bother you, doesn't mean it's not a problem for others.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
At proper seat height, reclining one click forward and one click back is too large of a difference and makes me feel like I'm either leaning too far forward or too far back. Without making other goofy changes that don't reflect a proper seating position (raising the seat far too high or pushing the lumbar out an uncomfortable amount), it literally causes me back pain during my 45 minute commute.

Just because the granularity of available positions doesn't bother you, doesn't mean it's not a problem for others.
It's actually the absence of what you call granular adjustments that adds a bit of sheen to the idea of power seats. That, I concede.

Just because you can't get comfortable with a manual seat doesn't mean others can't do so. ;)

VW solved this issue decades ago via the use of an inboard adjustment wheel to control seatback recline angles. The nominal movement possible with such a design was every bit as precise as what a power seat would provide, and at a fraction of the expense and complexity of an electric seat. Stellantis has the answer right in front of them.

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
Yes, Kevin. Incrementalism. For those who believe fractional adjustments are necessary.
Or, James, for those who just go ahead and buy the best rather than crying about it on the internet later. ;)

But there's a lot more to it than just granularity of adjustment. Everybody is different, every seat is different. You never know if you're going to get a perfect fit or a complete mismatch when you buy a new vehicle. Power seats allow you to compensate for a seat that just doesn't work that well for you FAR better than manual seats. The JL seats are some of the most uncomfortable seats available on a new vehicle. The adjustability of AT LEAST a power base would go a long way to improve that.

Reactions: AFD

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
It's actually the absence of what you call granular adjustments that adds a bit of sheen to the idea of power seats. That, I concede.

Just because you can't get comfortable with a manual seat doesn't mean others can't do so. ;)

VW solved this issue decades ago via the use of an inboard adjustment wheel to control seatback recline angles. The nominal movement possible with such a design was every bit as precise as what a power seat would provide, and at a fraction of the expense and complexity of an electric seat. Stellantis has the answer right in front of them.
Yeah, I'd actually be 100% fine with an unpowered manual recline wheel with a smooth sweep of unlimited positions like my Evo's Recaro seats had (or like the JL lumbar is). Having coarse granularity on the seat height and front/back movement doesn't really bother me too much, just the recline angle.

Maybe a dumb comparison, but if you've ever boresighted a nice rifle scope with the windage/elevation adjustments being a smooth sweep, you can dial it in exactly where you want it. But on a cheap scope with coarse granular segments, one click is inevitably just above center and the next click in the proper direction is just below. Sure, it'll still get you within a few inches of hitting your target or might be dead-on for 50% of those scopes, but unfortunately, my back just doesn't match up too well with the positions available for the JL seats 🤷‍♂️

Sponsored

cgrosen324

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Raptor

Thank you!!! I’m in the exact same boat - that one click either way is too much (either way). It drives me nuts.

Reactions: AFD

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS
Embargoed details went out to the press today during a briefing (Embargo is for NYIAS next week)... few tidbits I've picked up from sources - 12.3" UConnect5 display confirmed (I've heard standard across the board but take that with a grain of salt), powertrain options carry over, 7 microphones for better audio on calls/voice recognition, side curtain airbags, trail guides and recovery options, antenna now integrated into the windshield (no more whip!), Rubicon gets full floating Dana 44 axle... will add more as I get it.

Last edited:

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
... few tidbits I've picked up from sources - 12.3" UConnect5 display confirmed (I've heard standard across the board but take that with a grain of salt),...
Is there any intel on whether there be at least a partial redesign of the existing dashboard, for better integration of a 12" screen? Just wondering how comical that large of a head unit will look on the JL's existing real estate...and what effect its standard inclusion (if that comes to pass) will have on the Wrangler's frequent price increases.

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
12.3" UConnect5 display confirmed (I've heard standard across the board but take that with a grain of salt), powertrain options carry over, 7 microphones for better audio on calls/voice recognition, side curtain airbags, trail guides and recovery options, antenna now integrated into the windshield (no more whip!), Rubicon gets full floating Dana 44 axle... will add more as I get it.
7 microphones seems a bit excessive imo. Never really had a problem with any vehicle that had only a single decent one near the rearview.

Windshield antenna sounds interesting, considering how many people have to constantly replace theirs around here. Will be interesting to see how they manage side airbags in a vehicle with shallow removable doors. Should at least help lower insurance rates a bit.

New grille, no Sting-Gray, no new i6, likely mandatory advanced safety group and almost certain higher pricing really makes me not regret getting my '23 when I did.

Sponsored

JHJLUR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GC Overland, 18 JLUR
7 microphones seems a bit excessive imo. Never really had a problem with any vehicle that had only a single decent one near the rearview.

Windshield antenna sounds interesting, considering how many people have to constantly replace theirs around here. Will be interesting to see how they manage side airbags in a vehicle with shallow removable doors. Should at least help lower insurance rates a bit.

New grille, no Sting-Gray, no new i6, likely mandatory advanced safety group and almost certain higher pricing really makes me not regret getting my '23 when I did.
The Gorilla glass as standard should help dramatically. I welcome some extra mics, well its not horrible now, I do think the sound improvement will be better then current setup.

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
The Gorilla glass as standard should help dramatically. I welcome some extra mics, well its not horrible now, I do think the sound improvement will be better then current setup.
Not too sure about the Gorilla Glass being much help. Unless something's recently changed, the GG laminate is only used on the inside of the windshield and there's been countless threads here of people having theirs cracked just as easily as the standard potash glass.

Afaik, the only thing it helps is to avoid a full puncture through and is a bit lighter in weight.

JHJLUR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GC Overland, 18 JLUR
Not too sure about the Gorilla Glass being much help. Unless something's recently changed, the GG laminate is only used on the inside of the windshield and there's been countless threads here of people having theirs cracked just as easily as the standard potash glass.

Afaik, the only thing it helps is to avoid a full puncture through and is a bit lighter in weight.
Good to know, it does have a warranty against breakage right? If I understand that correctly it would if nothing else mitigate out of pocket expenses….that and I always keep the lowest glass deductible on our Wranglers

18BlackJLRU

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4XE Rubicon
Good news, I stopped at my dealer on way home…. He told me that my 2023 4XE Rubicon order had been rolled-up to a 2024 !!!

Apparently all their 2023 orders without any VIN assigned have been rolled-up to 2024.

We now need to see when they will start the 2024 production, I hope that they start earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.