Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
My $0.015 worth.

As an owner of a 3Rd Gen Taco w/Manual and a JLR w/Manual, there's some good and not so good with the 2024 Tacoma.

Here's the obligatory Taco pictures:

Jeep Wrangler JL 2024 Tacoma -- Here It Is! πŸ₯Š Hybrid Model Added πŸ”‹ Tacoma at Dirt Mounds 181m

Jeep Wrangler JL 2024 Tacoma -- Here It Is! πŸ₯Š Hybrid Model Added πŸ”‹ Tacoma Sunset 1

As with many Tacoma owners, the truck serves some DD duties and weekend warrior duties (e.g., mnt biking, hiking, camping, skiing, etc.).

IMHO, There's some good and bad with the new Tacoma.

Good:
  • Better Seating Position,
  • More head room,
  • Still has manual transmission option
Bad:
  • Normally asperated 6cyl motor is gone.
  • 4 cyl motor w/turbo
  • Hybrid system
  • $50,000+ for a mid size nicely loaded Tacoma??
With all this fancy stuff, seems like they have forgotten the roots of the Tacos. Good, simple, reliable truck that will last you 300k miles or more, if you take care of it.

For me, I don't need 0-60 in 5 seconds, don't need to pull a trailer with a bull dozer on it, don't need a complicated drive train. Just a good reliable truck w/manual to get me to and from work that I can also go out and have fun on the weekends.

doublethebass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Tacoma Pro 6MT, waiting for an electric Jeep
My $0.015 worth.

As an owner of a 3Rd Gen Taco w/Manual and a JLR w/Manual, there's some good and not so good with the 2024 Tacoma.

Here's the obligatory Taco pictures:

Jeep Wrangler JL 2024 Tacoma -- Here It Is! πŸ₯Š Hybrid Model Added πŸ”‹ Tacoma Sunset 1

As with many Tacoma owners, the truck serves some DD duties and weekend warrior duties (e.g., mnt biking, hiking, camping, skiing, etc.).

IMHO, There's some good and bad with the new Tacoma.

Good:
  • Better Seating Position,
  • More head room,
  • Still has manual transmission option
Bad:
  • Normally asperated 6cyl motor is gone.
  • 4 cyl motor w/turbo
  • Hybrid system
  • $50,000+ for a mid size nicely loaded Tacoma??
With all this fancy stuff, seems like they have forgotten the roots of the Tacos. Good, simple, reliable truck that will last you 300k miles or more, if you take care of it.

For me, I don't need 0-60 in 5 seconds, don't need to pull a trailer with a bull dozer on it, don't need a complicated drive train. Just a good reliable truck w/manual to get me to and from work that I can also go out and have fun on the weekends.
How do those 2 manuals compare?

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
@doublethebass

I like the shifting in both the Taco and JLR. Having set that, I also like the shifting in my 914-6.

Obligatory shot of the JLR:

Jeep Wrangler JL 2024 Tacoma -- Here It Is! πŸ₯Š Hybrid Model Added πŸ”‹ IMG_0810.JPG

The JLR is basically a weekend toy and not really for DD duty.
The Taco is much better at highway speeds, but the driving the Jeep puts a smile on my face.

doublethebass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Tacoma Pro 6MT, waiting for an electric Jeep
@doublethebass

I like the shifting in both the Taco and JLR. Having set that, I also like the shifting in my 914-6.

Obligatory shot of the JLR:

Jeep Wrangler JL 2024 Tacoma -- Here It Is! πŸ₯Š Hybrid Model Added πŸ”‹ IMG_0810.JPG

The JLR is basically a weekend toy and not really for DD duty.
The Taco is much better at highway speeds, but the driving the Jeep puts a smile on my face.
Yeah I get that - I'm the black sheep in my family with teh Tacoma. My brother's and Dad all have Jeeps. 2 manual TJs and an auto JK. All way more fun than the Tacoma, but different.

One of each is the best solution

Sponsored

drpericak

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Earl JLU Rubicon
Occupation
dentist
They are mostly the same customer base. For example, I’ve owned 5 Tacomas and 7 Wranglers.
I guess I just don't understand. The Tacoma is similar in size to a Ranger or whatever the Chevy is (Colorado?) but those are never mentioned when talking about Wranglers.

Pepe My Little Mule

First Name
J.D.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Jeep 4.7L; 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys
Lol these seats on the TRD Pro.

I would feel ridiculous every time someone saw them.

Maybe, just maybe this design will provoke Jeep to invest some time into equipping JL's and Jt's with more comfortable seats!

I mean, my 1998 TJ's seats were far more comfy!

Covet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 22 392, 22 4xe JLUR sold x3, 24 392

Sidewalk

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
$$$

People are willing to spend more for less. That is why there are 5 million JLUR's on the road with sparkly steering wheel covers. And also why Ford dropped all their cars from the lineup (except Mustang), because people will pay more for an SUV/CUV compared to an equal car.

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
Besides the fact that so many of fords little cars were lackluster piles of πŸ’©

Sponsored

JimmyB

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
I was considering getting a Gladiator but this is seriously interesting if I get to the point of considering swapping to a truck. Really curious to see what the MSRP is going to be on the TRD Pro version - not a huge fan of those seats and the backseat space they are going to take up given the backseat is already pretty small.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
-6' bed option
-2400 watt generator onboard
-Gimbal system in the seats that prevents your head from bobbing while offroad
-45 watt fast charging USB ports
-Old Man Emu suspension from the factory
-ARB bumpers from the factory
-Front sway bar disconnect
-RIGID lights from the factory
-JBL removable Bluetooth audio that plays through the truck speakers when docked
-14" infotainment
-Snorkle
-Center dump high-flow exhaust
-Adaptive cruise and full safety suite on EVERY trim level standard equipment
-Exterior lights on the bedsides to help set up camp in the dark
-Air compressor connection in the bed
-Sunroof
-Factory rock sliders that support 2,000 lbs. of force
-Hybrid powertrain option that leads the class in torque and MPG at the same time

The guys at Ford just choked on their coffee. They're about to release a brand new truck that already looks 10 years old, and Toyota drops this bomb on them? Ouch.

Heck , ALL of the competitors are in trouble. Nobody except Nissan offers a 6' bed which is critical for overlanding, and nobody buys Nissans.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
The 2.0l can’t tow what what a Gladiator can tow, that’s why they don’t make them.
I’m sure Jeep has built/tested a JT w/ the 4xe drivetrain & if it worked you could buy one today.

I will pretend you didn’t make the comment about a JT w/o a tow package, because that’s just embarrassing to even consider.
With the added weight of the 4Xe equipment, the Gladiator would have a laughably low payload. It would have to be beefed up considerably to maintain a competitive payload. Then it’s GVWR would have to be raised just so it could have the payload rating it does now. A slippery slope when it comes to hybrid trucks.

That new GMC electric truck weighs over 9k pounds. That’s more than a crew cab dually diesel. An F150 Lightning weighs about 1500 lbs more than the gas model. It has a GVWR of 8500 lbs, just to get a competitive payload. It’s GVWR makes it a class 2 truck (3/4 ton) but is marketed as a half ton, as the payload capacity is still in the 1/2 ton territory.
Sponsored