Sponsored

2024 Model Year - Mid-Cycle Action (MCA Refresh) - Predictions for JL?

IAJeepguy

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR EcoDiesel
Occupation
ACMX
THIS WILL NEVER HAPPEN, but

One thing that Jeep would be wise to do is sell a stripper model (maybe call it Wrangler X), like previous generations offered. Keep it below $30k, including delivery. V6 only, with no stop start, eTorque or extra battery, a better manual, 2 front seats, no AC, half doors, soft top, no cost solid (no flake) paint choices (white, red, black, sing grey), FAD delete with manual hubs, steel wheels, base radio only. Very few options such as AC, 3.73, 4.10 axles. The axles would be M220/M210 with no lockers or LSD, an incentive for builders/modders to buy one. If you want more options you would be forced to a Sport. As a matter of fact they should make the M220/M210 with no lockers and optional ratios available across the lines. Optional TruTracs would be even better.
I laugh… not at you, but because this is definitely a dream. I’d be all in on one. I wished they would actually let us customize an order. Instead of you pick this trim, and here is the gears you get, or you picked that so you have to have this…

In reality it comes down to how the assembly line works.
Sponsored

Philly_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Predicting no refresh on the JL. Things are moving the wrong direction for these beasts and it’s only a matter of time before we all get stuck with IFS to “increase comfort” and “solve” steering issues.

In fact, I’m pretty confident the JM will have IFS. I’m even considering ordering a two door Rubicon with a 6-speed before the model changeover because of it. No plans to get rid of my current Jeep, though, so we’ll see how that goes.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
What's the point of linking to an old article about a concept vehicle that we saw last year? It has very little to do with this conversation at all. We have already discussed the grill design, and that's pretty much the only thing different about this concept over a production version. We still don't have an official release if this is what the 20th anniversary Rubicon will be.

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
What's the point of linking to an old article about a concept vehicle that we saw last year? It has very little to do with this conversation at all. We have already discussed the grill design, and that's pretty much the only thing different about this concept over a production version. We still don't have an official release if this is what the 20th anniversary Rubicon will be.
That frame that I told you was coming and you said didn't exist. That's it. And it is actually VERY relevant to this conversation.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
That frame that I told you was coming and you said didn't exist. That's it. And it is actually VERY relevant to this conversation.
The one that you claimed facilitated the design of a new tub and frame, but is clearly the same exact thing with only the addition of a crash bar that users have known about for more than a year? Sure bud.

Sponsored

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
The one that you claimed facilitated the design of a new tub and frame, but is clearly the same exact thing with only the addition of a crash bar that users have known about for more than a year? Sure bud.
LOL you have no idea what you're talking about. "Clearly the same exact thing..."...you have no way of knowing that.

What it actually is is a redesigned frame and tub underpinning what WILL be the refresh of the JL. When is that coming? Well the word from FCA was that this frame is for the "2023 Rubicon", but now it's clear that when they said that they meant this demonstrator vehicle. So while this vehicle was clearly made to preview the refresh, I can't help with the subject of WHEN at this time. Again, just passing on information I was given.

PS - if you're as smart as you think you are you can look at that JL and figure out what company my "source" works for.

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Anybody know about swapping the old base infotainment out for a new model with car play? Every time I drive the GFs fancy German car I sure do enjoy the car play…
Lots of folks have done this. It's trickier on the base (I think) because you really need to upgrade the HVAC control panel too to make it work 100% right. I upgrade from 7" to 8.4", that was easy.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
LOL you have no idea what you're talking about. "Clearly the same exact thing..."...you have no way of knowing that.

What it actually is is a redesigned frame and tub underpinning what WILL be the refresh of the JL. When is that coming? Well the word from FCA was that this frame is for the "2023 Rubicon", but now it's clear that when they said that they meant this demonstrator vehicle. So while this vehicle was clearly made to preview the refresh, I can't help with the subject of WHEN at this time. Again, just passing on information I was given.

PS - if you're as smart as you think you are you can look at that JL and figure out what company my "source" works for.
There are a lot of pictures of this vehicle from several sources who looked at it in Moab for the Easter Jeep Safari and the subsequent shows that it's been at. There are pictures of the underneath showing the suspension and frame. It's just another JL with the Mopar lift and some 37s. The difference between this concept and current product is that ugly grill.

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
There are a lot of pictures of this vehicle from several sources who looked at it in Moab for the Easter Jeep Safari and the subsequent shows that it's been at. There are pictures of the underneath showing the suspension and frame. It's just another JL with the Mopar lift and some 37s. The difference between this concept and current product is that ugly grill.
Again, even with "underneath" pictures you have no way of knowing. Unless you took a measuring tape to that frame and had a way to look at the top side where the tub attaches, or perhaps are someone who was involved in the development of the original frame, you'd never know the difference.

If you were there when I first mentioned this frame - I said then that I cannot divulge what exactly is different but the changes themselves are not exciting...it's the options that the changes open up that are (moderately) exciting, and additionally the factory-available add-ons that will be available.

Sponsored

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Again, even with "underneath" pictures you have no way of knowing. Unless you took a measuring tape to that frame and had a way to look at the top side where the tub attaches, or perhaps are someone who was involved in the development of the original frame, you'd never know the difference.

If you were there when I first mentioned this frame - I said then that I cannot divulge what exactly is different but the changes themselves are not exciting...it's the options that the changes open up that are (moderately) exciting, and additionally the factory-available add-ons that will be available.
I don't have time to go back and find the exact quote right now, but I will later. But you said originally that the 2023 would have a new frame and tub that would be different from the previous models. And that it would allow 37s because of these changes. All that concept vehicle shows is the same Jeep Performance Parts lift and 37s that concept vehicles have been shown with for the past six years, but with an additional ugly grill. And anyway, it still isn't something that has come to production with any changes. Like I said before, we will know about production changes, well in advance of a mid year refresh, through legitimate sources. Your cousins brothers uncle who is an engineer and has top secret information has not shown to be a reliable source of anything but vague references that haven't panned out.

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
Lots of folks have done this. It's trickier on the base (I think) because you really need to upgrade the HVAC control panel too to make it work 100% right. I upgrade from 7" to 8.4", that was easy.
That seems counterintuitive…the base Uconnect (Uconnect 3 I believe) doesn’t have HVAC controls in my model (2018). Does the new Uconnect 3 have that? Or did you mean it’s trickier on the base model Wrangler?

I guess what I’m really wondering is this: what is the easiest way for me to get CarPlay in my base model Sport S? I’d prefer to use an OEM radio if possible.

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
I don't have time to go back and find the exact quote right now, but I will later. But you said originally that the 2023 would have a new frame and tub that would be different from the previous models. And that it would allow 37s because of these changes. All that concept vehicle shows is the same Jeep Performance Parts lift and 37s that concept vehicles have been shown with for the past six years, but with an additional ugly grill. And anyway, it still isn't something that has come to production with any changes. Like I said before, we will know about production changes, well in advance of a mid year refresh, through legitimate sources. Your cousins brothers uncle who is an engineer and has top secret information has not shown to be a reliable source of anything but vague references that haven't panned out.
You are reading too far into the information I provided and then assigning your suppositions to me.

What I said was that the 2023 Rubicon was getting a redesigned frame (and as a result, tub). I said that I cannot detail exactly what the changes are but that increased tire clearance appeared to be one of the reasons for the redesign. Never said anything about 37s. I mentioned this originally in the thread about the Hurricane I6 reveal because someone mentioned that it wouldn't fit in the current JL and that it would be unlikely that they would modify the frame to make it fit...and that's when that bell went off in my head and I remembered that "2023" frame. So I passed on what I knew, and you and a few others became deeply offended by it.

The only thing that was wrong about what I said was the assumption that I made that "2023 Rubicon" meant the PRODUCTION vehicle. Perhaps it did at one point then things changed, or perhaps they never intended it to be in production by now. I can't say. But it's pretty obvious based on this information and that demonstrator that you are looking at the JL refresh. It's now just a question of when.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
That seems counterintuitive…the base Uconnect (Uconnect 3 I believe) doesn’t have HVAC controls in my model (2018). Does the new Uconnect 3 have that? Or did you mean it’s trickier on the base model Wrangler?

I guess what I’m really wondering is this: what is the easiest way for me to get CarPlay in my base model Sport S? I’d prefer to use an OEM radio if possible.
The easiest way is to swap in a uConnect 7 or 8.4. If you want volume controls, also swap the dash panel/climate control unit. Otherwise you can use the volume on the back of the steering wheel.

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU

See response from @The Last Cowboy further down. :). He explained it better than me.

But easiest way is to get CarPlay is to just upgrade to the 7" or 8.4" UConnect radio. I am not sure if the base radio has the GPS antenna installed in the Jeep or not You may need to add that as well if you want GPS features (time set, compass, Navigation on 8.4" system, etc).
Sponsored