Sponsored

2023 Wrangler, drunk driver hits it at 500 miles. Is my frame knackered?

Mgg253

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Just thinking out loud here:
Can the context of your Jeep's damage -- i.e., being caused a belligerent DUI driver who caused multiple collisions and later resisted arrest -- give you, the claimant, any leverage when requesting the vehicle be totaled instead of repaired (if the latter is the insurance company's preference)?
No

total losses are a break even formula. Some states it’s a statutory amount others it’s simple math. The only thing that is likely to lean in your favor is if they can’t get the part (the frame) they may have to total it. Otherwise your probably talking a 25k repair
Sponsored

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
The drunk piece of garbage who hit you will probably get off with a light sentence and won’t have any money to pay restitution. He’ll just do it again… Our legal system doesn’t make criminals very accountable anymore…so his behavior has no bearing on your outcome. Sorry for your loss but glad you were not hurt.

SoCalDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLURXR
When an insurance company evaluates for a total, it also considers the salvage value in addition to the repair costs. A few years ago I had a 1 month old brand new car (cost 36k.) I got rear ended on the freeway. Damage looked to be moderate (trunk, bumper and some folding of rear quarter panel on one side.) Appeared to not be a total to me. The initial “walk around” estimate from the insurance co was $6,900. Once the body shop tore it down, they found welds split open, etc. Cost of repair went to over $19k. They totaled it (thankfully)

If you prefer your vehicle be totaled, I rec bringing it to a body shop with the reputation for top quality work (likely high cost)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Turaven

Turaven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Wrangler Sport 4-door 6MT
Hmm. So the little "dimples" on the frame looked to me like stress on the frame broke the welds and buckled them in. I showed it to a friend and they thought they looked normal. I think they're crazy but I went to scour the Internet for pictures or video of the frame in the rear area of the vehicle and I finally found one of what looks to be a mostly new Wrangler with the "dimples." Are they intended to be there?

On mine you can kind of see into the interior of the frame, so maybe they're still damaged? I'm still waiting on insurance to get off their ass and get a shop to look at my Jeep so I don't know for sure. I guess I'll check out a new Wrangler at the dealer next time I'm nearby.

dat dimple.png
Sponsored