Sponsored

2023 Willy XR how hard to lockers?

Swagger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I think it is possible to find used Rubicon axles to swap, from people who are upgrading to heavier duty axles. This, paired with a couple of mopar harnesses, may be the easiest and least costly solution.
Sponsored

OhioJeeper

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6 JL's and a Gladiator
There is no situation in which you will ever find yourself in, on any trail anywhere, where a locker will get you through and an LSD will not.
You can flick a locker on for half a second to gently climb over a rock ledge, where as with an LSD you'd be more likely to spin or stress an axle. Been wheeling since '91 on just about every surface.

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
It's simply quite obvious that somebody who has this thought about lockers versus factory LSD, or even brake based traction control, either doesn't run truly difficult level trails or maybe has never driven a vehicle with lockers. In the hardcore off-road world making that comment is almost as bad as insisting that the earth is flat.....
In your personal experience I don't doubt that maybe you have gone everywhere another rig with lockers has gone. But all that means is that the trail or obstacles were not at the limit of where the rig with lockers could go....and of course it could just be that the driver in the other rig wasn't very good either!
Your opinion is noted. It's wrong, but it's noted.

You can flick a locker on for half a second to gently climb over a rock ledge, where as with an LSD you'd be more likely to spin or stress an axle. Been wheeling since '91 on just about every surface.
I agree. Again - not saying that lockers don't have great benefits. Just saying that they aren't an absolute necessity. You aren't going to be stranded without them.

cripton805

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport w/ 6sp
I think it is possible to find used Rubicon axles to swap, from people who are upgrading to heavier duty axles. This, paired with a couple of mopar harnesses, may be the easiest and least costly solution.
The Xtreme Recon package already has similar Rubi axles. They are reinforced Dana 44 wide tracks. Without the lockers and crawl ratio.

I think it would just need aftermarket lockers. He shouldn't need Rubi axles.

Craigger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Clubs

The Xtreme Recon package already has similar Rubi axles. They are reinforced Dana 44 wide tracks. Without the lockers and crawl ratio.

I think it would just need aftermarket lockers. He shouldn't need Rubi axles.
Agreed. Put on aftermarket lockers (which will give you much more flexibility than stock Rubicon lockers) and an Anti-Rock sway bar and you can pretty much hit anything a Rubicon can.

Sponsored

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
@Crowbar,

Thanks for this thread in soliciting advice about adding aftermarket lockers. There are many options from lunch box variants all the way up to dedicated axles. It all comes down to how much you're willing to invest.

I'm in the same boat as you. I have a 2019 Sport S 3.6L Auto. So far, I've never been in any trouble yet wheeling throughout my home state of Colorado with nothing more than my stock BLD's. These JL's are amazing things even without lockers. Granted, I'm not overly stupid and don't try to accomplish the most gnarly severe to extreme crap but I routinely accomplish very difficult terrain with no issues.

Before deciding on exactly the investment you want to make, answer where is it you want to go? The Willy's equipment will take you farther than what you're giving it credit for.

I've owned my Sport for over three years now. After putting on a Mopar lift and 35's, there is nowhere I haven't gone where I've yet needed a locker. And I've tackled many (many) trails throughout western Colorado, including Black Bear, Imogene and Engineer Passes, and nearly everything around the Uncompahgre and San Juan Mountain ranges. Central Colorado including Wheeler's Lake, Spring Creek, Sts Johns, Elephant Hill and almost everything in Boulder, Gilpin and Clear Creek Counties where I live. Southern California (Big Bear), Utah (Moab) as well as others elsewhere.

I don't necessarily try to bounce over the tallest boulders or climb the steepest cliffs but I'm not at all apprehensive at taking on the most difficult of obstacles (within reason).

However, like you I do have a little Rubicon envy and am pining for aftermarket lockers as well. I certainly like the ability to add something that I can switch on or off, front or back, at my discretion. Something much better than all the software regulated (lawyer mandated) stuff found on the stock Ruby.

Regardless, don't sell yourself short in what you can accomplish with just BLDs. Having the LSD is clearly even more capable yet. These things are fribben awesome with or without lockers.

The primary thing that I've learned in my humble experience thus far is what's between your ears is way more valuable than what's between your wheels. With careful traction management via disciplined throttle control, you can accomplish quite a lot. In fact, I suspect that lockers would even tend to make one more lazy. However, to some Jeepers they buy the most expensive drive trains and power plants to simply muscle their way through everything.

I personally enjoy the kudos from the Ruby driver's when they realize there's a Sport amongst their midst upon some high mountain pass or peak.

Still, lockers are the way to go. I just haven't needed them (yet).

Jay

OP
OP

Crowbar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLR, 20JTR
@Crowbar,

Thanks for this thread in soliciting advice about adding aftermarket lockers. There are many options from lunch box variants all the way up to dedicated axles. It all comes down to how much you're willing to invest.

I'm in the same boat as you. I have a 2019 Sport S 3.6L Auto. So far, I've never been in any trouble yet wheeling throughout my home state of Colorado with nothing more than my stock BLD's. These JL's are amazing things even without lockers. Granted, I'm not overly stupid and don't try to accomplish the most gnarly severe to extreme crap but I routinely accomplish very difficult terrain with no issues.

Before deciding on exactly the investment you want to make, answer where is it you want to go? The Willy's equipment will take you farther than what you're giving it credit for.

I've owned my Sport for over three years now. After putting on a Mopar lift and 35's, there is nowhere I haven't gone where I've yet needed a locker. And I've tackled many (many) trails throughout western Colorado, including Black Bear, Imogene and Engineer Passes, and nearly everything around the Uncompahgre and San Juan Mountain ranges. Central Colorado including Wheeler's Lake, Spring Creek, Sts Johns, Elephant Hill and almost everything in Boulder, Gilpin and Clear Creek Counties where I live. Southern California (Big Bear), Utah (Moab) as well as others elsewhere.

I don't necessarily try to bounce over the tallest boulders or climb the steepest cliffs but I'm not at all apprehensive at taking on the most difficult of obstacles (within reason).

However, like you I do have a little Rubicon envy and am pining for aftermarket lockers as well. I certainly like the ability to add something that I can switch on or off, front or back, at my discretion. Something much better than all the software regulated (lawyer mandated) stuff found on the stock Ruby.

Regardless, don't sell yourself short in what you can accomplish with just BLDs. Having the LSD is clearly even more capable yet. These things are fribben awesome with or without lockers.

The primary thing that I've learned in my humble experience thus far is what's between your ears is way more valuable than what's between your wheels. With careful traction management via disciplined throttle control, you can accomplish quite a lot. In fact, I suspect that lockers would even tend to make one more lazy. However, to some Jeepers they buy the most expensive drive trains and power plants to simply muscle their way through everything.

I personally enjoy the kudos from the Ruby driver's when they realize there's a Sport amongst their midst upon some high mountain pass or peak.

Still, lockers are the way to go. I just haven't needed them (yet).

Jay
I currently have a Rubicon JT and looking to go back to a JLU. I've had JLU Rubicons in the past. So many options are not available to ordered right now and the dealer recently got a JLU Willys on his lot that has pretty much everything I'd of ordered on a Rubi except for lockers and was just wondering about adding lockers to it. At this point I've pretty much decided to stick with Rubicon. I like the 4:1 transfer case ratio also. I know the difference between not having lockers and having lockers. I've run those trails and others in Ouray and those are easy nice drives. Beautiful scenery but nothing remotely challenging. Don't recall flipping lockers on in Moab either but since we were by ourselves I didn't do the most difficult trails there either. Our local wheeling is where I really appreciate lockers. I've watched too many people struggle with open diffs trying to get over rocks and end up needing winched. On rocks you simply need lockers at times.

OP
OP

Crowbar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLR, 20JTR
Your opinion is noted. It's wrong, but it's noted.

I agree. Again - not saying that lockers don't have great benefits. Just saying that they aren't an absolute necessity. You aren't going to be stranded without them.
Seen too many people stuck on rocks because they don't have lockers that needed winched to get out of. I've seen people with lockers also need winched.

OP
OP

Crowbar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLR, 20JTR
I didn't see anyone answer the question.

Lasfit makes two switch banks, a locker specific replacement for the Rubi side, and a version of the factory Aux Switchs from the tow package:
1668176894267.png

By far the biggest complaint I have with the factory lockers is that they don't immediately disconnect when demanded, on the slick rock out west, it makes it impossible to steer after climbing an obstacle you need lockers on. Although it does always seem to unlock itself after it's not an issue anymore.

ARB air lockers seem to be the gold standard in the industry.
Awesome info. Thanks. And I have the same complaint with the factory lockers sometimes.

GrayWolf.Overland

First Name
Subash
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 4xe Rubicon (Earl Gray)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Adding lockers front and rear + regear costed 6k cad last year. So it's not a trivial cost. Luckily you are getting 4.56 gears alreqdy with XR. So you could essentially get ARBs (better locker than electric.. read up).

Wire them up to some switch panel.. like this
Jeep Wrangler JL 2023 Willy XR how hard to lockers? Screenshot_20221013_192527

Sponsored

cripton805

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport w/ 6sp
I currently have a Rubicon JT and looking to go back to a JLU.
I went from a JLU to a JT then to a JLU/XR.

I actually like the JT better. It was a mistake going back to a JL. I preferred the utility of the bed and the ride quality. I didn't begin to realize it until now. 🥴

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
Seen too many people stuck on rocks because they don't have lockers that needed winched to get out of. I've seen people with lockers also need winched.
Exactly - they were stranded on rocks because of mistakes, not lack of lockers. Don't get me wrong, I make mistakes too...but I don't blame my equipment. Anybody who's been doing this long enough would certainly agree we are all capable of getting any level of off-road hardware stuck. I can get front and rear lockers stuck just as I can get LSD's and BLD's stuck. Kinda my point.

my_0range_crush

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sahara
So I have the Lasfit aux switches in my JL Sahara! They’re honestly the cleanest and best looking switches on the market. Definitely worth it if you’re running a compressor or just need a couple extra aux switches in your rig. It also comes with a pass through for your gmrs radio too!

If anyone is interested in getting one you can use code orange15 for 15% off your order 🙌🏽

9D793879-0EA4-4CEB-8AAA-D88B94FA2196.jpeg
Sponsored