Sponsored

2023 Willy XR how hard to lockers?

Crowbar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLR, 20JTR
Found a 23 Willys XR unlimited for sale that I'm considering. How hard is it to add lockers to this? Can the Rubi locker switch be purchased seperately and added so it looks clean instead of switches mounted somewhere else? Or are there switches that mount in the stock locker location? And what lockers do you recommend - Eaton?
I currently have and have had Rubicons and I do use the lockers crawling on rocks. I go on trails that if you don't have lockers you probably are going to need winched. I've seen too many people struggle and bash their Jeeps on rocks trying to get through things with open diffs.
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Willys doesn’t have open diffs; it comes standard with a rear limited slip.

Granted, LSD is not a locker, but is not an open diff either. The LSD automatically locks both wheels up to 80%.

OP
OP

Crowbar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLR, 20JTR
Willys doesn’t have open diffs; it comes standard with a rear limited slip.

Granted, LSD is not a locker, but is not an open diff either. The LSD automatically locks both wheels up to 80%.
Yes, I know it comes LSD. Better than nothing but still prefer and need lockers front and rear.

Sponsored

6.2Blazer

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport
I'm not a JL expert but if you can install just the factory Rubicon dash switches you should be able to wire them up to control aftermarket lockers. If you really want lockers I would take into account the cost of adding them to the Willy's versus spending the extra money up front for a Rubicon. If you are looking at the XR package because of the small lift and 35's then I would consider what the cost would be to get a standard Rubicon and add a little lift and the 35's.
I don't agree with the previous comment about the factory LSD locking wheels up to 80%. If a true locker delivers 100% power to both tires than I would say the factory LSD is more like 20%. On a true technical rocky trail it's almost hard to tell a Jeep had the factory LSD or not because one tire will always be spinning. On flat wet grass or light mud, sure it can keep both wheels spinning, but anything more than that and it's useless. We are also talking about something like a Rubicon with true lockers front and rear versus just a factory LSD in the rear.

OP
OP

Crowbar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLR, 20JTR
Why not another Rubi?
That's what I want to order and so many options are unavailable now. And the dealer I've been working with let me know that a Willy XR showed up which has all the options I'd order on a Rubi other than lockers. And is my second choice on color. So was just thinking about it.

Tethmes

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLWS
Occupation
Management
Not sure on the exact cost of the upgrade, but with no other options (as I'm typing this you posted about not having the options you wanted, so I do realize that's a factor) a JLUWXR is only 5k cheaper than a JLURXR on the builder. I don't think you'll be able to do lockers for that much unless you're mechanically minded enough to do it yourself.

OP
OP

Crowbar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLR, 20JTR
I'm not a JL expert but if you can install just the factory Rubicon dash switches you should be able to wire them up to control aftermarket lockers. If you really want lockers I would take into account the cost of adding them to the Willy's versus spending the extra money up front for a Rubicon. If you are looking at the XR package because of the small lift and 35's then I would consider what the cost would be to get a standard Rubicon and add a little lift and the 35's.
I don't agree with the previous comment about the factory LSD locking wheels up to 80%. If a true locker delivers 100% power to both tires than I would say the factory LSD is more like 20%. On a true technical rocky trail it's almost hard to tell a Jeep had the factory LSD or not because one tire will always be spinning. On flat wet grass or light mud, sure it can keep both wheels spinning, but anything more than that and it's useless. We are also talking about something like a Rubicon with true lockers front and rear versus just a factory LSD in the rear.
I've been wanting to order a Rubi and so many of the options are unavailable. The dealer I've been working with let me know that a Willy XR showed up which has all the options Id order on a Rubi. So was just thinking if I got that and added lockers... But I also like the 4:1 transfer case ratio too of the Rubi. All my past Rubi's the suspension, wheels, and tires get sold anyways.

Tncdrew

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Willys, 3.6L - 8spd
To be clear, LSD's are quite more than "20%" effective, and definitely not "Useless" if you know how to engage them.
Of course they're not as effective as a true locker.

Sponsored

NChap89

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
I’d just wait for a Rubicon. It’s not much more and you get the benefit of the lockers & better transfer case from the factory under warranty.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Pfft. This thread is a group of Rubicon owners talking to each other and looking down at anyone else in the process.

Figures...

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Pfft. This thread is a group of Rubicon owners talking to each other and looking down at anyone else in the process.

Figures...
I'm not following you Aldo. Went back and read again all of the posts and what their rigs happen to be and don't see much 'looking down'. You seem a little sensitive here?

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not following you Aldo. Went back and read again all of the posts and what their rigs happen to be and don't see much 'looking down'. You seem a little sensitive here?
Take off your Rubicon glasses.
Sponsored