Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392XR AEV JL370
Build Thread
Link
What mounts are you using to hold that Midland radio and Mic?
There are several companies that make radio / mic mounting solutions.

My assumption is that what is in the picture is the Bulletpoint CB mount (20mm ball).

67 Designs partners with Jeepuniq for their radio / mic mounting solutions.

Personally, I’m working something up that is based on the Magnetic Mic solution. I don’t want the handheld up on the dash, both from a visibility (theft) perspective and The perspective of I don’t want a wire hanging in front of the console. I’ll likely be attaching the Magnetic Mic solution to the CMM universal accessory mount. Nice and low, still in reach.
Sponsored

ROK HEMI

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392XR
Thank you for the information. I was thinking of having my radio up near the windshield for antenna performance, and the mic close by. I have a Yaesu Ft-60 that also broadcasts on GMSR. I have not purchased a mic yet, but the Yaesu mic has a clip like the radio, not a standard CB button. Not sure the Magnetic Mic solution would work. Maybe a different mic would be better?

muzicman

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 JK CoD(sold), BMW M850i, 2021 MB X5 M50I
What mounts are you using to hold that Midland radio and Mic?
Yep, this is all Bulletpoint brand solutions, most from Amazon, but some bits (CB & Radio) were ordered directly. I will move the Mic down to the grab handle mount when it arrives and keep the Ham handset up high for both radio and my clubs currently seem to use it more than GMRS. The other brands (those made in US, anyway) have a little more adjustability/flexibility, but these serve the purpose just fine.

OP
OP
392OVRLND

392OVRLND

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Thank you for the information. I was thinking of having my radio up near the windshield for antenna performance, and the mic close by. I have a Yaesu Ft-60 that also broadcasts on GMSR. I have not purchased a mic yet, but the Yaesu mic has a clip like the radio, not a standard CB button. Not sure the Magnetic Mic solution would work. Maybe a different mic would be better?
You usually can remove the clip and add a button.

If I remember correctly, Magnetic Mic provides a button in their kit.

ROK HEMI

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392XR
You usually can remove the clip and add a button.

If I remember correctly, Magnetic Mic provides a button in their kit.
Again...Thank you.

Sponsored

OP
OP
392OVRLND

392OVRLND

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Well, I know you all are sitting around your computers, phones, and tablets with bated breath waiting on me to post pictures of the Mopar Performance Rock Rails... So here they are. I took them with my iPhone. They look super profesh. You're welcome.

Note: I did make an effort to go to the car wash and wash all the winter shit off the side of the Jeep for y'all, but ended up just getting more of the winter shit on the Jeep on the drive home. SORRY.

i-K7JzsBM-X2.jpg

i-8c6vrC8-X2.jpg

OP
OP
392OVRLND

392OVRLND

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
This weekend the RedLine Tuning hood struts came in. Since you have to break a paint seal removing a factory bolt, I'm going to wait until a day when it's warm enough to paint before I install them. Packaging was nice.

i-rMdqNTX-X3.jpg

I also got around to installing the M.O.R.E. dead pedal that's been sitting on my workbench since before I went to pick up the Jeep. This was another carryover mod from the old JL, and sweet baby Jesus, how I forgot how much I hate that install, but the end result is so good. BTW, when they suggest using masking tape "if you want" to hold the backing plate in place, go get a roll of duct tape and tear you off a piece.

Sorry my floor mats are dirty. Jeez, get off my back.

i-6rhcf9J-X2.jpg

I also installed yet another carryover mod from the old JL... The authentic Mopar cargo mats. Or is it the Mopar authentic cargo mats? Well, whatever they are, they keep the dog hair out of the seat back carpet, and offer protection in other situations like when you're running a fridge in the back with the seats up.

i-RQvdLQ5-X2.jpg

I think I am going to cut the cargo floor "tail" off of the gap hider at this line, because I already have a full-size rubber cargo mat, the cargo floor "tail" piece doesn't fully cover the cargo floor, and to lay the seats down or put them up, the "tail" needs to slide on the cargo floor, and it doesn't work well when you have literally anything in the cargo area, which then results in the gap hiders being pulled up or the clips being pulled out of the retention rings.

i-QjZhsTp-X3.jpg

Pic of the mats with the seats up... You can see my full cargo mat underneath (Amazon).

i-2kcWnBG-X2.jpg

OP
OP
392OVRLND

392OVRLND

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I also threw my AEV gloves in the Jeep where I like to keep them, easily within reach when I hop out of the Jeep, and I put my first aid kit in (I keep it in roll bag / dry bag I have that is from my motorcycle luggage).

i-TdkMHMQ-X2.jpg

i-3Sg4Gqz-X2.jpg

While I was doing all of this incredibly hard work, the pup made sure that he was keeping guard on the front porch, while also catching 40 winks and making sure to raise his head and sniff the air every 10 minutes or so.

i-RmFWFwq-X2.jpg

So I then decided to force him into a photoshoot for the Jeeps and dogs thread... as you can see, the enthusiasm level is off the charts.

i-RLW7JNW-X2.jpg

WheretheJLs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Hydro Blue Rubicon XR
Using the old mats to protect the back of the rear seats is a good idea. How did you secure it to the back?

OP
OP
392OVRLND

392OVRLND

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
A couple more driveway pictures, since that's what the internet likes...

i-R43mSfR-X2.jpg

Also, here's some really terrible iPhone Photoshop, layering the same image together at normal exposure and with the exposure maxed to make the flag and Jeep pop. Oh, and I highly recommend buying a house without neighbors across the street. It rocks. Now I just need to buy one without neighbors to the side or back as well. 🤣

i-jRT36jp-XL.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
392OVRLND

392OVRLND

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Using the old mats to protect the back of the rear seats is a good idea. How did you secure it to the back?
Those are the Mopar cargo mats for the JL. By "carryover" I mean I had them on my old JL and I bought them again, not that I pulled them out of the old Jeep and repurposed them. They come with retention rings and have fittings molded into the mats that pop into the retention rings. It requires that you cut the carpet on the seat backs and gap hiders very precisely in certain spots where you insert the retention rings, but it's not difficult.

Link:

https://store.mopar.com/oem-parts/mopar-cargo-area-liner-82216626ab?c=cT04MjIxNjYyNkFB

bobholthaus

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JKURD AEV JL370; 2014 GC Overland Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technology Integrator
This weekend the RedLine Tuning hood struts came in. Since you have to break a paint seal removing a factory bolt, I'm going to wait until a day when it's warm enough to paint before I install them. Packaging was nice.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2023 Sarge Rubicon 392XR AEV JL370 i-jRT36jp-XL

I also got around to installing the M.O.R.E. dead pedal that's been sitting on my workbench since before I went to pick up the Jeep. This was another carryover mod from the old JL, and sweet baby Jesus, how I forgot how much I hate that install, but the end result is so good. BTW, when they suggest using masking tape "if you want" to hold the backing plate in place, go get a roll of duct tape and tear you off a piece.

Sorry my floor mats are dirty. Jeez, get off my back.

I also installed yet another carryover mod from the old JL... The authentic Mopar cargo mats. Or is it the Mopar authentic cargo mats? Well, whatever they are, they keep the dog hair out of the seat back carpet, and offer protection in other situations like when you're running a fridge in the back with the seats up.

I think I am going to cut the cargo floor "tail" off of the gap hider at this line, because I already have a full-size rubber cargo mat, the cargo floor "tail" piece doesn't fully cover the cargo floor, and to lay the seats down or put them up, the "tail" needs to slide on the cargo floor, and it doesn't work well when you have literally anything in the cargo area, which then results in the gap hiders being pulled up or the clips being pulled out of the retention rings.

Pic of the mats with the seats up... You can see my full cargo mat underneath (Amazon).

Glad to hear you’re cutting the tail off… that’s my exact idea as well. I have a weathertech mat sitting in my warehouse ready to go in. Thanks for making me feel okay that I’m using that Mopar setup for just the seatbacks, ha!

muzicman

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lookin' good! Keep goin :)

OP
OP
392OVRLND

392OVRLND

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Lookin' good! Keep goin :)
Just waiting on Midland USA to figure out how to communicate better with customers and put the customer first.

My order shipped out 2/1, and was (supposedly) out for delivery 2/3... Not delivered.

When I checked the UPS tracking number there was no real information besides a mention that the package was "on the way" and a note that the delivery date would be provided as soon as possible.

After calling UPS this morning, apparently the package was damaged in transit and they are "investigating" the damage (which will take 5 to 8 business days... I guess they have a team of sloths doing the investigations).

However, for UPS's part, they have already notified Midland and they received a response from Midland acknowledging the situation.

Shit happens. It's not Midland's fault that UPS damaged the package, but UPS is also not in a position to fully rectify the situation and minimize impact to the end customer... Midland, however, is in such a position.

As such, this is a pretty poor customer experience from Midland. What they should have done is sent out a replacement order as soon as they heard from UPS that the shipment was damaged and reached out to me letting me know of the situation and that they have shipped a replacement, then worked directly with UPS so that I, the customer, am not impacted by an issue that I did not cause.

Even more disappointing is that Midland does not have a customer service number that will put you in touch with an actual human being for issues like this, only a number that tells you to fill in the form on the website and hangs up on you. What a great customer experience.

I just sent them a note in their online forum asking them to contact me ASAP about this, and asking what they could do to make it so I am not impacted by a shipping issue that, frankly, should be between Midland and UPS.

I'll give them 24 hours to respond. After that, I'm getting AMEX to refund me and issue a chargeback and I'm going a different direction - whether that's a different merchant for the same goods, or a different radio solution altogether. I have a pretty low tolerance for big companies that make products that aren't really distinguishable from their competition and provide poor customer experiences to boot. Let's be honest, most of these radios these days are probably made in the same factory in China, and Midland isn't the only way to get a GMRS radio.

This is the second damaged shipment with Jeep parts this weekend. Amazon deemed the shorter spring steel AM/FM antenna I ordered "undeliverable" and automatically returned it and processed a refund. When that happens, it usually means the package was damaged so badly that the product inside was also damaged. At least they process an automatic refund and notify you of the situation via the app.

With any luck, the parts I ordered from CMM will get here today without issue.

muzicman

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just waiting on Midland USA to figure out how to communicate better with customers and put the customer first.

My order shipped out 2/1, and was (supposedly) out for delivery 2/3... Not delivered.

When I checked the UPS tracking number there was no real information besides a mention that the package was "on the way" and a note that the delivery date would be provided as soon as possible.

After calling UPS this morning, apparently the package was damaged in transit and they are "investigating" the damage (which will take 5 to 8 business days... I guess they have a team of sloths doing the investigations).

However, for UPS's part, they have already notified Midland and they received a response from Midland acknowledging the situation.

Shit happens. It's not Midland's fault that UPS damaged the package, but UPS is also not in a position to fully rectify the situation and minimize impact to the end customer... Midland, however, is in such a position.

As such, this is a pretty poor customer experience from Midland. What they should have done is sent out a replacement order as soon as they heard from UPS that the shipment was damaged and reached out to me letting me know of the situation and that they have shipped a replacement, then worked directly with UPS so that I, the customer, am not impacted by an issue that I did not cause.

Even more disappointing is that Midland does not have a customer service number that will put you in touch with an actual human being for issues like this, only a number that tells you to fill in the form on the website and hangs up on you. What a great customer experience.

I just sent them a note in their online forum asking them to contact me ASAP about this, and asking what they could do to make it so I am not impacted by a shipping issue that, frankly, should be between Midland and UPS.

I'll give them 24 hours to respond. After that, I'm getting AMEX to refund me and issue a chargeback and I'm going a different direction - whether that's a different merchant for the same goods, or a different radio solution altogether. I have a pretty low tolerance for big companies that make products that aren't really distinguishable from their competition and provide poor customer experiences to boot. Let's be honest, most of these radios these days are probably made in the same factory in China, and Midland isn't the only way to get a GMRS radio.

This is the second damaged shipment with Jeep parts this weekend. Amazon deemed the shorter spring steel AM/FM antenna I ordered "undeliverable" and automatically returned it and processed a refund. When that happens, it usually means the package was damaged so badly that the product inside was also damaged. At least they process an automatic refund and notify you of the situation via the app.

With any luck, the parts I ordered from CMM will get here today without issue.
Sucks about Midland... back in the 70's they were a real US company with real US people taking care of customers. My parents were in a CB club and there were actual Midland employees that came to the meets and would help tune antennas and all kinds of stuff, and this was in the middle of Illinois.

I order my 575 from Amazon. They are pretty great for return stuff. I am in the process of returning my Baofeng Ham HT as the clip wouldn't attach out of the box. You get what you pay for I guess. I am going in a different direction awith an Anytone solution. Should have my Technician license in the next couple of weeks.
Sponsored