2023 Sarge Rubicon 392XR AEV JL370

muzicman

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 JK CoD(sold), BMW M850i, 2021 MB X5 M50I
I blame you for the fact that I just spent over $500 with CMM after this conversation... 😂

I bought the mounts for the mirrors (which I left in my old Jeep when I traded it in)... Great for when the doors are off, and you hardly notice they are there when not in use.

I also bought the ball mounts for the bottom of the A-pillar grab handles, which is where I will likely mount my Garmin InReach Explorer+ so it is as close to me as possible in the event of an accident on the road, or is the first thing I (or someone else) sees when looking in the Jeep in an emergency.

I also bought the grab bar ball mount and two universal accessory mounts. I will use one on the driver's side of the console for a holster, and I will use the one on the passenger side for either mounting the Midland mic/control unit or a tablet (if I use it for a tablet, I'll use the grab bar ball mount for the Midland mic).
All's fare I guess, now I need to order the universal drivers side. Who makes holsters that work with it? Need to find one for a Sig X5 Legion.
Sponsored

bobholthaus

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JKURD AEV JL370; 2014 GC Overland Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technology Integrator
As always, awesome info. If CMM makes a product that works, I'll buy it over Bullepoint. I've read that some of their stuff isn't great; I can't figure out why 67D doesn't make a ball mount for the grab handle. Thanks for the intro to CMM; that's where I'll go. BTW, I am planning on a 67D MagSafe mount for everyday use, and their magnet mount for offroading. I think their stuff looks killer, and it's American made. Good info on the arm resting; with an iPad Mini 6, do you think I can angle one of the arms at like a 45 degree angle from the passenger side and have it be steady? BTW, I need a place for my sunglasses, which is why I'm not going the 67 rail, and just the driver and passenger mounts from them (I really need a dual passenger ball, one for my tablet, and one for my GFs phone).

392O... I see you and those switch-pros punches, ha!! All good.,

Last edited:

bobholthaus

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technology Integrator
Anyone know what the length of arm I need for the 67D driver and passenger mounts that will keep the phone as close to the dash as possible?

OP
OP
392OVRLND

392OVRLND

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392XR AEV JL370
Build Thread
Link
All's fare I guess, now I need to order the universal drivers side. Who makes holsters that work with it? Need to find one for a Sig X5 Legion.
I know they work with Alien Gear... the website is a little light on information in that regard. I'll reach out to them tomorrow to see if they have a list.

OP
OP
392OVRLND

392OVRLND

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
As always, awesome info. If CMM makes a product that works, I'll buy it over Bullepoint. I've read that some of their stuff isn't great; I can't figure out why 67D doesn't make a ball mount for the grab handle. Thanks for the intro to CMM; that's where I'll go. BTW, I am planning on a 67D MagSafe mount for everyday use, and their magnet mount for offroading. I think their stuff looks killer, and it's American made. Good info on the arm resting; with an iPad Mini 6, do you think I can angle one of the arms at like a 45 degree angle from the passenger side and have it be steady? BTW, I need a place for my sunglasses, which is why I'm not going the 67 rail, and just the driver and passenger mounts from them (I really need a dual passenger ball, one for my tablet, and one for my GFs phone).

392O... I see you and those switch-pros punches, ha!! All good.,
67Designs makes the OG dash cubby mounts (Bulletpoint copied the idea and changed the base a bit). Different products than what CMM makes.

My guess as to why 67D doesn't make a ball for the grab handle is because CMM already has that covered and they make a 20mm ball mount for that location for the 67D carbon fiber arms. CMM also has 5-axis CNC machines so it's easy for them to make specialized parts.

I have the 67D MagMount G3... it works for road driving and certain off-road situations, but some rough streets and off-road situations (especially washboard roads) have shaken my phone off the mount. It also relies on very thin, but strong magnets to be placed on the phone, or in your phone case. This adds a steps to replacing a phone case that is damaged or worn. I eventually ordered their Universal G2 phone mount, which is rock solid in all situations. I did not bother with their MagSafe mount as a friend said it did not hold onto his phone well, and he travels similar roads and trails, and also drives like an asshole (like me).

No clue on the iPad Mini 6. I don't have one and I'm not really following your geometry question.

FWIW, I stopped using iPads for trail maps when Motion-X went defunct (I used to have all of the Google Earth tiles for Colorado west of the Divide and quite a lot of Utah, and some of SW Wyo ripped to an iPad in Motion-X) and when Gaia became available on CarPlay.

These days... Gaia on my iPhone run through CarPlay. Works great. No tablet needed. I guess I don't get any overlandAF expo points for not having a tablet strapped to my dash anymore. 🤣

Sponsored

OP
OP
392OVRLND

392OVRLND

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Anyone know what the length of arm I need for the 67D driver and passenger mounts that will keep the phone as close to the dash as possible?
Buy one of each length and you won't need to worry. ;)

bobholthaus

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technology Integrator
67Designs makes the OG dash cubby mounts (Bulletpoint copied the idea and changed the base a bit). Different products than what CMM makes.

My guess as to why 67D doesn't make a ball for the grab handle is because CMM already has that covered and they make a 20mm ball mount for that location for the 67D carbon fiber arms. CMM also has 5-axis CNC machines so it's easy for them to make specialized parts.

I have the 67D MagMount G3... it works for road driving and certain off-road situations, but some rough streets and off-road situations (especially washboard roads) have shaken my phone off the mount. It also relies on very thin, but strong magnets to be placed on the phone, or in your phone case. This adds a steps to replacing a phone case that is damaged or worn. I eventually ordered their Universal G2 phone mount, which is rock solid in all situations. I did not bother with their MagSafe mount as a friend said it did not hold onto his phone well, and he travels similar roads and trails, and also drives like an asshole (like me).

No clue on the iPad Mini 6. I don't have one and I'm not really following your geometry question.

FWIW, I stopped using iPads for trail maps when Motion-X went defunct (I used to have all of the Google Earth tiles for Colorado west of the Divide and quite a lot of Utah, and some of SW Wyo ripped to an iPad in Motion-X) and when Gaia became available on CarPlay.

These days... Gaia on my iPhone run through CarPlay. Works great. No tablet needed. I guess I don't get any overlandAF expo points for not having a tablet strapped to my dash anymore. 🤣
Motion X was a gem.

My iPad would be for Gaia only, so my passenger and I can look at the same, larger map. I’d like to have it higher up to not block anything on dash, hence my geometry question. Will it stay at 45° angle or will it just vibrate?

I just started a thread about a unicorn phone mount I’m dreaming about, one with strong magnets (MagMount G3) WITH MagSafe built in. It is 2023 after all… has someone built this thing?

Thanks 392O. Oh and I am an offensive driver as well… hence the paddle shifters I’m adding to my diesel.

OP
OP
392OVRLND

392OVRLND

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
OP
OP
392OVRLND

392OVRLND

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Holy shit! I just found out you can embed Instagram reels into the forum, so now you all can see the smile on my face when I fired up the 392 for the first time, and hear that sweet V-8 music. No wonder they call Steve the @muzicman

Sponsored

OP
OP
392OVRLND

392OVRLND

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Talked to CMM this morning. They are using the Alien Gear Holsters Shape Shift Shell to attach to the Universal Accessory Mount. I don't see a Shape Shift Shell that fits the Sig p320 X5 Legion, though. Time for you to buy a Glock! 😃

muzicman

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 JK CoD(sold), BMW M850i, 2021 MB X5 M50I
Talked to CMM this morning. They are using the Alien Gear Holsters Shape Shift Shell to attach to the Universal Accessory Mount. I don't see a Shape Shift Shell that fits the Sig p320 X5 Legion, though. Time for you to buy a Glock! 😃
I think their P320 Full Size would work. Probably worth giving it a try. My Legion is just a P320 Full with a bunch of lighter/stronger/faster bits, nothing that changes the gun in any way significantly. Or, this may mean I need to get a Carry sized, which would be a P320 XCarry Legion. A firearms mentor told me once, as a beginner, to learn and master one frame before buying others, and since the gov standardized on the P320 world, I did as well.

OP
OP
392OVRLND

392OVRLND

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I think their P320 Full Size would work. Probably worth giving it a try. My Legion is just a P320 Full with a bunch of lighter/stronger/faster bits, nothing that changes the gun in any way significantly. Or, this may mean I need to get a Carry sized, which would be a P320 XCarry Legion. A firearms mentor told me once, as a beginner, to learn and master one frame before buying others, and since the gov standardized on the P320 world, I did as well.
I used to be a Springfield guy (and a Glock hater, without any real reason). Then I shot a friend's Glock, and for me it was just, as they say, "Perfection." Traded in my Springfield XDM and XDS for a Glock 19 and Glock 43.

Then I lost all of my guns, and I mean every single one of them (that's right ATF... ALL OF THEM) in a horrifically tragic boating accident.
Sponsored