Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392XR AEV JL370
Build Thread
Link
Is that a new option? I don't think it was available when I ordered mine in Dec '21.
Not an official option. My dealer is a friend and I have a few friends at AEV, so they accommodated the request.
Sponsored

muzicman

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 JK CoD(sold), BMW M850i, 2021 MB X5 M50I
@Ratbert I reached out to Brandon at Baja Design, and he recommended the S1 or S2 in Wide Corner configuration for this use case. I ordered a pair of S1s (amber) and will put them angled out, so they have wide dispersion. I will wire it to Aux 3 (currently the Squadron in the rear bumper.) I may also wire the bumper squadron to come on with reverse and supplement the abysmal tail light reverse lamps.

Soggybottomboy

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon JLU.
Occupation
Retired from Retards
WOW!!! Thanks for the education guys. That build has to be the pinnacle of off road capability. I hope you enjoy!!!

SBB

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

@Ratbert I reached out to Brandon at Baja Design, and he recommended the S1 or S2 in Wide Corner configuration for this use case. I ordered a pair of S1s (amber) and will put them angled out, so they have wide dispersion. I will wire it to Aux 3 (currently the Squadron in the rear bumper.) I may also wire the bumper squadron to come on with reverse and supplement the abysmal tail light reverse lamps.
I'm thinking that it'd be a cool upgrade, but the existing bumper light is pretty bright already. I've been thinking about possibly mounting a stubby GMRS antenna up there.

OP
OP
392OVRLND

392OVRLND

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Sounds like a different use case than what I’m going for. Sounds like you’re going after what I did on my current JL (pair of S2s for work light / backup light purposes).

For this build, the single squadron is only intended to be a chase / dust light, and for that you don’t want a wide beam pattern.

Sponsored

OP
OP
392OVRLND

392OVRLND

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I'm thinking that it'd be a cool upgrade, but the existing bumper light is pretty bright already. I've been thinking about possibly mounting a stubby GMRS antenna up there.
Having put a HAM antenna on top of the AEV tire carrier mast of my last two Jeeps, I’ll be taking a much easier approach this time around and mounting the antenna up front.

OP
OP
392OVRLND

392OVRLND

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
WOW!!! Thanks for the education guys. That build has to be the pinnacle of off road capability. I hope you enjoy!!!

SBB
Depend on what you’re after, but these builds get tested by AEV in some grueling conditions, and they just work.

muzicman

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like a different use case than what I’m going for. Sounds like you’re going after what I did on my current JL (pair of S2s for work light / backup light purposes).

For this build, the single squadron is only intended to be a chase / dust light, and for that you don’t want a wide beam pattern.
Interesting, I had mentioned dust light to Brandon at Baja Design and he specifically recommended the S1 or S2. I may only put one on, and sell the 2nd and harness. I was just thinking I would get dual use, but maybe that use case isn't plausible. Chase/dust is more important than task/work for this build. Thanks for the ideas/feedback @392OVRLND!

muzicman

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Having put a HAM antenna on top of the AEV tire carrier mast of my last two Jeeps, I’ll be taking a much easier approach this time around and mounting the antenna up front.
So I was planning on mounting my Midland GSMR antenna on the mast. Looking for your expert tutelage again on the drawbacks to mast mounting the antenna.

Sponsored

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

SBB
The big selling points (for me at least) are the build quality, how it's all designed to work together (I understand that many of their engineers came from Jeep), and the three year warranty through your local (AEV certified) dealer.

It's the antithesis of the Frankenstein builds where people are always trying to adjust things to get them right. Dealing with death wobble, etc. They build almost everything themselves and test the crap out of it (a few years) before they'll offer it for sale.

If you see one in person you'll probably not initially notice the bumpers. That's how incredibly well-built they are in comparison to "normal" aftermarket bumpers. No visible welds, knee pads for when working in the engine company, etc. I'm pretty sure that they're the only bumpers on the planet that are made from hot-stamped Boron steel. Stupidly thin, light, and strong.

Note that they're not insane at rock crawling. They're pretty damn good at it, of course, but they're more designed for heavier loads (e.g. overlanding) and good road manners.

They are, however, not cheap.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Mine's currently up front and works fine. There is, however, that empty mounting spot above the spare just waiting for something to hold ;).

OP
OP
392OVRLND

392OVRLND

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
So I was planning on mounting my Midland GSMR antenna on the mast. Looking for your expert tutelage again on the drawbacks to mast mounting the antenna.
Running more wire back there is a pain in the ass when there are now plenty of mounts for the front of the Jeep that work well..

Having run lights and antennas to that mast on my last two Jeeps (along with my OCD when it comes to wiring and doing it right) is why I asked AEV to put the light on while they had it. :)

OP
OP
392OVRLND

392OVRLND

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
@Ratbert

Thanks for the info! I visited their website and it really looks like the real deal! You're gonna have a looker and no doubt enjoy that wolf in sheep's clothing!

SBB
They have some cool videos on YouTube where they’re out on expeditions to places like the Arctic circle and Dusy Ershim where you can see the vehicles perform. Dusy is basically a longer Rubicon Trail.
Sponsored