2023 Rubicon or 2022 High Tide?? Help!

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys Xtreme Recon 2022 Ford Bronco
Wether the vents are functional or not, These hoods don’t really compare. Especially on a muscular ‘’agressive’’ build like the XRs, the plain hood looks like it was forgotten in the build. The plain hood is at its place on stock Sports and Saharas.

To make the plain hood work, one needs at least a hood blackout stripe, but it’s still very far from the Rubi hood.

My take🤷‍♂️
Like I said just my opinion and taste. The red on the Rubi and the goofy hood are actually things that I dislike. Others love it. Jeeps have always had a clean smooth hood from day 1. They weren't trying to be a sports car with fake black hood vents. But this is just me splitting hairs in the end both still look good.

I can say from experience the smooth hood on my aggressive looking XR still looks amazing. The black side latches, Willys insignia and black window holders break it up enough. I couldn't imagine any more then that on it. Plus there's so much other awesome stuff looks wise going on with the XR.
Sponsored

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
I think you left out a very important word. The XR needs a proper lift.

Here is a perfect example of “why” in another thread. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/xr-observations.98957/post-2051092

The quote from @onemoreokie
A few more bump stop pics. This time passenger side. It’s a bit worse. I’m 140 pounds and can bottom it out by sitting on the bumper.

I’m not trying to dog on the XR package, there is a lot to like about them. But I think it’s important for folks to know what they’re getting into and that an actual proper lift is something they will need to consider.
I have to admit that this info regarding the XR bumpstops is new to me, but it’s nothing that a hack saw and grinder can’t fix. It is however a very questionable design flaw.

n8billings

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR Earl 6speed
Occupation
Director of Coaching
If you don’t plan to use the lockers, get the HT and save money.

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
Like I said just my opinion and taste. The red on the Rubi and the goofy hood are actually things that I dislike. Others love it. Jeeps have always had a clean smooth hood from day 1. They weren't trying to be a sports car with fake black hood vents. But this is just me splitting hairs in the end both still look good.

I can say from experience the smooth hood on my aggressive looking XR still looks amazing. The black side latches, Willys insignia and black window holders break it up enough. I couldn't imagine any more then that on it. Plus there's so much other awesome stuff looks wise going on with the XR.
I totally respect your taste. I like the Rubi hood so much more that I changed my Sahara hood for it.

It is obvious however that the few that dis the Rubi hood are the ones without one trying to convince themselves that its ok cause they find it ugly anyway and start picking everything about it during the process. Thats ok, as it is human nature to do that. Same goes for those that try to make others believe that 4.10 and 35s are a good match or worse, that 3.45 and 35s are totally fine.

I totally respect you as a forum member and followed your quest for the right Jeep for you and your family at one point for a web channel of some kind and debating between a Rubi and Willys, 2 doors vs 4 doors on a tight budget. Then figured it wasnt worth having a channel on a lesser model than a Rubi cause if it wasnt for budget thats what you’d get. Curiously, I don’t recall you having a problem with the Rubi hood or anything else about it until AFTER you ordered a Willys XR.

Last edited:

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
I totally respect your taste. I like the Rubi hood so much more that I changed my Sahara hood for it.

It is obvious however that the few that dis the Rubi hood are the ones without one trying to convince themselves that its ok cause they find it ugly anyway and start picking everything about it during the process. Thats ok, as it is human nature to do that. Same goes for those that try to make others believe that 4.10 and 35s are a good match or worse, that 3.45 and 35s are totally fine.

I totally respect you as a forum member and followed your quest for the right Jeep for you and your family at one point for a web channel of some kind and debating between a Rubi and Willys, 2 doors vs 4 doors on a tight budget. Then figured it wasnt worth having a channel on a lesser model than a Rubi cause if it wasnt for budget thats what you’d get. Curiously, I don’t recall you having a problem with the Rubi hood or anything else about it until AFTER you ordered a Willys XR.
I've mentioned the hood somewhere on here before when deciding purchasing. I'm definitely not going to go back and dig through all my threads or ones I commented on but trust me it's there.

Why would it not be worth having a channel on a Jeep that's not a Rubicon? Especially an Xtreme Recon? Also plenty of people buy the cheapest Sport and build them into monsters. A Jeep is a Jeep. The starting point doesn't matter IMO. Also there's a plethora of different people and budgets out there that don't just want to get Rubicon content shoved down their throats all the time. They want to see what the other models can do or be added to them to make them do over time.

Sponsored

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
I've mentioned the hood somewhere on here before when deciding purchasing. I'm definitely not going to go back and dig through all my threads or ones I commented on but trust me it's there.

Why would it not be worth having a channel on a Jeep that's not a Rubicon? Especially an Xtreme Recon? Also plenty of people buy the cheapest Sport and build them into monsters. A Jeep is a Jeep. The starting point doesn't matter IMO. Also there's a plethora of different people and budgets out there that don't just want to get Rubicon content shoved down their throats all the time. They want to see what the other models can do or be added to them to make them do over time.
Well like you I sure ain’t gonna start digging back in time and I maybe wrong, but my memory tells me that you were looking to start a channel with your daughter and if it wasnt with a Rubi, then it wasn’t worth it cause no one would be interested in a regular Jeep. I remember questionning that and thinking that a nice build is a nice build no matter what model it is and you now definitely have an awesome Jeep in you XR, especially in Gobi to go ahead with such plans.

So lets agree to disagree and jeep-on 🍻

40Caliber

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 door Rubicon
I have a rubi,,, I am heading out to moab and colorado for a month, I have been looking at a lot of trails. I am not a huge offroader but want to try and play. I don't seeing myself doing more than moderate trails. I don't have a lot of expereince and i am going alone with my wife. (unless we meet someone out there).

Every trail I want to do is capable to be done with my 33s , lockers and sway bars (at least according to Funtreks, the offroad manual for the area.

I am sure you could do it with 35s but there is also that MPG thing that most jeepers say they don't care about. if you're spending 90% of the time on highway and 10% offroad. you might care about the 2-4MPG you will lose with bigger tires.

then, you may not......

I like the ER package but I find my 33s cool enough

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Well like you I sure ain’t gonna start digging back in time and I maybe wrong, but my memory tells me that you were looking to start a channel with your daughter and if it wasnt with a Rubi, then it wasn’t worth it cause no one would be interested in a regular Jeep. I remember questionning that and thinking that a nice build is a nice build no matter what model it is and you now definitely have an awesome Jeep in you XR, especially in Gobi to go ahead with such plans.

So lets agree to disagree and jeep-on 🍻
I think what your referring to was when I was considering buying the 392 Jeep. Not the standard Rubicon. I was just thinking out loud to hear other people's thoughts. Its Wasn't my personal opinion.

And for the record I like that hood on that and the Mojave with the front air intake look.

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
I think what your referring to was when I was considering buying the 392 Jeep. Not the standard Rubicon. I was just thinking out loud to hear other people's thoughts. Its Wasn't my personal opinion.

And for the record I like that hood on that and the Mojave with the front air intake look.
Yes you are right, I remember now, it was the 392. I like that hood too. Your XR will totally rock and bring as much interest as if it would have been a 392. It’s all in the content.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

You can always add the rubi sway disconnect system to a HT. Theyre often for sale in the classifieds.

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
The long bump stops are on the Wranglers with factory equipped 35s for stability/roll over reasons. Losing a crash rating star is serious to manufacturers. That crash rating is also why very late model and future Wranglers have a large metal piece on each side of the frame behind the front wheels.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

The long bump stops are on the Wranglers with factory equipped 35s for stability/roll over reasons. Losing a crash rating star is serious to manufacturers. That crash rating is also why very late model and future Wranglers have a large metal piece on each side of the frame behind the front wheels.
Bizarrely it's only on the passenger side.

STW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR 2door 2.0T Rubicon stingrey
in favor of the High Tide...

...keep in mind you can easily install sway-bar quick disconnects. It's the way we all disconnected at trail head back before the disconnect button made it easy. You don't even need to buy/install the quick disconnects--just a quick job with a wrench to undo the sway bar and put it out of the way for your trail ride. Quick disconnects were always one of the easy, inexpensive, and most useful mods. I have a Rubicon now and it still seems strange to disconnect with a button in the cab.

The XR package on the High Tide will already have upgraded the rear axle--front axle too? and upgraded brakes too. And you'll have lower diff gears than the Rubicon does depending on what you ordered. The XR package is known to be a really good deal for a non-Rubicon like a Willys or High Tide.
If the High Tide comes with a LSD in the rear, that will be an advantage in your snowy area. Arguably better for snow than the Rubicon rear locker.

The lockers are really a deal breaker though. IF lockers are ever going to be valuable or useful to you, then the Rubicon is worth it. You can install a front locker somewhat easily, but you live in snowy country so you'll want to be able to use 4wd without the locker so a switchable locker remains important.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

...keep in mind you can easily install sway-bar quick disconnects. It's the way we all disconnected at trail head back before the disconnect button made it easy. You don't even need to buy/install the quick disconnects--just a quick job with a wrench to undo the sway bar and put it out of the way for your trail ride. Quick disconnects were always one of the easy, inexpensive, and most useful mods. I have a Rubicon now and it still seems strange to disconnect with a button in the cab.
You've never ended a day of off roading in a downpour or in snow? It's painful enough airing up in those muddy situations without also having to reattach suspension components.

STW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR 2door 2.0T Rubicon stingrey
You've never ended a day of off roading in a downpour or in snow? It's painful enough airing up in those muddy situations without also having to reattach suspension components.
haha I'm not saying it's not convenient to have the disconnect button. I like it fine. And you're right it's a big mess to do in some conditions.

I'm only saying for someone like the OP who doesn't do a lot of off-roading, the disconnect and the lockers are quite different decisions, and not having the button doesn't prevent you from disconnecting. People generally want to disconnect the sway bar more often than they need a locker; most people disconnect for most trails. Even if he doesn't need lockers, you're right that the remote disconnect button could be worth it for just the reason you say.
Sponsored

Last edited: