Sponsored

2023 Production Starting in 3rd Quarter?

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Is it normal that production would start in the 3rd quarter of the year? That seems to be expected for most manufacturers, but I was under the impression that Wrangler production started in 4th quarter. Well, at least it did for 2022.

I'm only wondering about this since many people that ordered 392s have been given the option of delaying their build until 2023 and are being told that 2023s will start being produced in the 3rd quarter.
Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Is it normal that production would start in the 3rd quarter of the year?
No. Not normal. But these aren't normal times. Supply chain issues have caused many changes across all industries, not just automotive.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

There's not really a "normal" time for Wranglers. '21s were built starting in the fall of 2020, I believe Aug/Sept timeframe. '22s, as you know, were pushed back to December.

No one really knows at this point whether '22 is likely to just be a short year and they get back to the Q3 timeframe or what.

It really depends, IMO, on what the '23 MY holds. If it's minimal updates (like '22), then I'd surmise they'll start building them earlier. If, however, '23 has the rumored cockpit upgrades, then I'd guess they'll keep with the December build start.

I would imagine the earliest we would know or start hearing rumors would be June/July timeframe.

OP
OP
Ratbert

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

There's not really a "normal" time for Wranglers. '21s were built starting in the fall of 2020, I believe Aug/Sept timeframe. '22s, as you know, were pushed back to December.

No one really knows at this point whether '22 is likely to just be a short year and they get back to the Q3 timeframe or what.

It really depends, IMO, on what the '23 MY holds. If it's minimal updates (like '22), then I'd surmise they'll start building them earlier. If, however, '23 has the rumored cockpit upgrades, then I'd guess they'll keep with the December build start.

I would imagine the earliest we would know or start hearing rumors would be June/July timeframe.
Some people are being offered the choice of waiting for MY 2023 "in the 3rd quarter." Based on what you're saying that implies that 2023 won't be a significant change.

Sponsored

Powelligator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJ Rubicon, 2022 JL Rubicon
Clubs

What's going on with the 392's is that it has become a popular model and production of which is blowing FCA's CAFE numbers out of the water. In order to fix that problem they have to have more hybrid/electric vehicles in the overall mix. The government measures the CAFE numbers by model year, and for the 2023 model year FCA will have more higher mileage vehicles to put in the mix. By moving the model year production start ahead to the 3rd quarter of '22, they get more flexibility.

OP
OP
Ratbert

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

What's going on with the 392's is that it has become a popular model and production of which is blowing FCA's CAFE numbers out of the water. In order to fix that problem they have to have more hybrid/electric vehicles in the overall mix. The government measures the CAFE numbers by model year, and for the 2023 model year FCA will have more higher mileage vehicles to put in the mix. By moving the model year production start ahead to the 3rd quarter of '22, they get more flexibility.
That makes sense. I thought, however, that I'd seen people with 4xes on order saying the same thing. I definitely could be mistaken on that.

Nitehawk92

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLU Reign Rubicon 14 Mazda, 22 Hyundia Santa Fe
Jeep probably will not do it, but they should stop taking orders or not build the 2023's until they clear out the backlog of 2022 or 2021...

mllcb42

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe HA, 392XR
That makes sense. I thought, however, that I'd seen people with 4xes on order saying the same thing. I definitely could be mistaken on that.
You're not mistaken. Order banks have closed for at least some of the 4xe trims.

Powelligator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJ Rubicon, 2022 JL Rubicon
Clubs

You're not mistaken. Order banks have closed for at least some of the 4xe trims.
That ain't good, there might be (even more) supply issues. For CAFE reasons, as well as profit margins they want to build as many 4xe's as possible. 2022 might turn out to be a short model year, not even 12 full months of production.

Sponsored

GladiSD

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' AEV 392 JL370, 08' S2000 CR, 08' S2000, 99' SV
Occupation
Sure...
My 21' Jeep was built Sept 15, 2020. Until last year, normal production started Q3 for these things. Last year, they pushed it late due to supply chain issues. It appears they're on track to start 2023 production Q3 this year.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon XR, 2010 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Some people are being offered the choice of waiting for MY 2023 "in the 3rd quarter." Based on what you're saying that implies that 2023 won't be a significant change.
I was thinking if people are given that option without ANY actual news of the potential grill/interior changes, that would be pretty messed up. A lot of guys aren't in love with the new potential grill etc etc. So based on that it would seem minimal changes for 2023 and early production. 2024 will probably bring the bigger refresh.?

OP
OP
Ratbert

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I was thinking if people are given that option without ANY actual news of the potential grill/interior changes, that would be pretty messed up. A lot of guys aren't in love with the new potential grill etc etc. So based on that it would seem minimal changes for 2023 and early production. 2024 will probably bring the bigger refresh.?
By that logic there would be no significant changes in 2023, right? Any change could be something that "a lot of guys aren't in love with."

I'm speculating that the same thing has happened in past years, but, as usual, I could be completely wrong on that.

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
Awesome who‘s making the 2023 order thread before we can even begin ordering? I’m placing my order June 15 on the dot.