First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Santa Fe and 2023 Rubi XR 4-door
Occupation
Retired
My new Jeep Rubi XR was delivered in October and I drove it from Houston to Durango last week to leave as a second vehicle here. It has 1600 miles and has performed very well until yesterday. I was driving in town and smelled coolant fluid a couple of times and did not see any lights lighting up or temps going up so I headed home and near home saw that the check engine warning icon was lit up. Parked it in the garage and checked for any fluid leaks and saw none. Also checked the coolant level and it seems low. Also got an email from Jeep notifying me that the engine light had come on.

I decided to check this forum to see if this was a common issue. Turns out that there is a 16 page thread started in Dec 2021 titled “2.0L Water Leak”. Some great work was done in this thread to find the issue which seemed to be two bolts/screws that had not been properly tightened. In fact there were so many similar issues that Jeep issued a fix. Seems like the fix was to remove the screws and apply lock tight and put them back in properly. Also you will need particular type wrench to reach and tighten the screws.

I will call the local dealer here in Durango first thing on Monday and pray that they will fit me in before I leave on Wednesday to fly back to Houston. I will get the Jeep towed to the dealer if they will see me otherwise it will sit in the garage until we come back in January. Supposedly if this is the same issue as in the thread, they fixed it after March 2022 in the factory by applying lock tight during assembly. Maybe that is not happening or my issue is different…but it sounds exactly like what others have experience. Hopefully no major engine damage happened. Other folks in the thread were not so lucky.

After less than two months of owning this Jeep I was just thinking yesterday morning that maybe I would be one of the lucky ones to have a good, reliable Jeep…
Sponsored

Buster1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘51 M38
Take it to O’reily or AutoZone. They can do free scans for CELs.

I had a CEL after 1000 mi on mine and it was a loose gas cap. Dealer pressure tested the system and it was good.

Yes, many threads in the 2.0T area about leaky coolant and mysterious disappearing coolant. Mine being one in the latter category. Keep an eye on it. Check when cold.

Pinion

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 FJ40, 22 Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Project Manager
Whatever it is, take it to the dealer. It's their problem.

OP
OP

DurangoWino

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Called dealer here this morning and they are not taking any new appointments until Jan 3rd. Set up with them for a Jan 17th appointment and a tow the day before. Sure hope I never need more work done in Durango - not too impressed.

OrneryBear

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Sarge JLUR 6spd
Called dealer here this morning and they are not taking any new appointments until Jan 3rd. Set up with them for a Jan 17th appointment and a tow the day before. Sure hope I never need more work done in Durango - not too impressed.
You do realize the holidays are only a couple weeks away right? A lot of employees take vacation during that time period and everyone sees a major slowdown at this time. Dealers normally book a couple weeks out, so this would push you to the first week of the year.

OP
OP

DurangoWino

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
You do realize the holidays are only a couple weeks away right? A lot of employees take vacation during that time period and everyone sees a major slowdown at this time. Dealers normally book a couple weeks out, so this would push you to the first week of the year.
Obviously Captain Obvious I do realize that we are approaching the Holidays. My issue is that my dealer where I bought my Jeep said that they could take me within a day or two. Sorry but I think it is pretty bad to make someone wait one month to get an appointment when the fix is more than likely going to be pretty simple based on threads on this issue. Cheers!
Sponsored