Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW GSA, Harley RG, GC Summit Reserve, JT Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Work? What's that?
No choice in colors for the seats, but they are black leather and gray cordura. I thought that was more useful than all leather for a Jeep that will play on trails and beaches. I went with onyx for the dash, which will match the gray/black seats and the Borahs. I grew to like the red dash and other trim on my 2020 Rubicon but
thought it would really clash with the orange.
Sponsored

392OVRLND

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392XR AEV JL370
Build Thread
Link
Ordered my 392 steering wheel this week
 paddle shifters and the thicker wheel are this weekend!
I think, based on where you described wanting the steering wheel to be thicker (at the top of the wheel), you’re going to be disappointed by the 392 wheel.

it’s thicker at “10 and 2.” It is not noticeably thicker (if at all) at the top of the wheel. At the top of the wheel it feels almost, if not, exactly like the wheel in my old JLU Rubicon.

There are other wheel options (from other Stellantis vehicles) that actually are noticeably thicker and that fit the JL, and can be ordered from vendors that will customize the stitching color.

Where, you ask? No idea. But I have seen people on JL Facebook groups do it and post pictures.

392OVRLND

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Thanks, Bob. Please tell the AEV guys to go back to Wixom so they can be there when my Punkin' Rubicon comes in. After a talk with AEV yesterday, I decided to switch up to the 8100 shocks, but keep the regular springs. I tow less often, but when I do, it is far. However the heaviest my trailer gets is ~ 2500 lbs max. (2 motorcycles).

Now I need to check my GC L Overland to see if I have self-leveling headlights. I don't think it does. Thanks for documenting your build.
The High Capacity springs aren’t really designed with off-setting the squat from towing a trailer in mind. Not saying they wouldn’t help with this as a byproduct, but that’s not what they were intended to be used for.

They are designed for customers that are frequently carrying loads approaching (and, sometimes, exceeding) GVWR.

If you’re not frequently carrying a load that has you approaching GVWR (i.e. always-on RTT, fridge, drawers, slides, gear, etc.), you’re not going to like the way your Jeep rides with them.

According to one contact of mine at AEV, the HC springs really start to come into their own around 6,200 lbs
 which is over GVWR
 and, as such, consumers must take responsibility for this. There are consequences to traveling over GVWR, sometimes.

OP
OP
bobholthaus

bobholthaus

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JKURD AEV JL370; 2014 GC Overland Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technology Integrator
The High Capacity springs aren’t really designed with off-setting the squat from towing a trailer in mind. Not saying they wouldn’t help with this as a byproduct, but that’s not what they were intended to be used for.

They are designed for customers that are frequently carrying loads approaching (and, sometimes, exceeding) GVWR.

If you’re not frequently carrying a load that has you approaching GVWR (i.e. always-on RTT, fridge, drawers, slides, gear, etc.), you’re not going to like the way your Jeep rides with them.

According to one contact of mine at AEV, the HC springs really start to come into their own around 6,200 lbs
 which is over GVWR
 and, as such, consumers must take responsibility for this. There are consequences to traveling over GVWR, sometimes.
Great info, and is exactly why I chose the standard duty springs for my needs, with the helper Airbags for towing squat. Thanks 392O.

OP
OP
bobholthaus

bobholthaus

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technology Integrator
I think, based on where you described wanting the steering wheel to be thicker (at the top of the wheel), you’re going to be disappointed by the 392 wheel.

it’s thicker at “10 and 2.” It is not noticeably thicker (if at all) at the top of the wheel. At the top of the wheel it feels almost, if not, exactly like the wheel in my old JLU Rubicon.

There are other wheel options (from other Stellantis vehicles) that actually are noticeably thicker and that fit the JL, and can be ordered from vendors that will customize the stitching color.

Where, you ask? No idea. But I have seen people on JL Facebook groups do it and post pictures.
So the wheel showed up today, and it IS a little thicker than the OEM Rubicon wheel. It's not much "taller" per se (in a cross section), but the thickness comes from it being "flatter" and wider front to back, so my fingers aren't as overlapped as they are on the OEM wheel, if that makes sense. I do like the perforated leather, and it seems a little less smooth and shiny than the OEM wheel (even the non-perforated part)

You are correct in saying that I'd prefer something a lot thicker, probably something from a hot rod Stellantis vehicle, but for my needs of wanting paddle shifters and just something a little thicker (with an oem heating element too), while ensuring complete plug and play install, this will suffice. I am towing that small camper from Denver to Moab next week, and want to use the paddle shifters in the mountains, so there was a timing consideration as well.

As for the stitching: I thought it would be brighter orange, but it's actually like a burnt orange that happens to almost be the same color as my brown leather seats, so I think it will look good. I will take a pic of it later after I install it. I realize the 392 color IS more of burnt color, but for some reason in my mind it was going to be as bright as the red stitching on a cloth-seated Rubi.

Sponsored

392OVRLND

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
So the wheel showed up today, and it IS a little thicker than the OEM Rubicon wheel. It's not much "taller" per se (in a cross section), but the thickness comes from it being "flatter" and wider front to back, so my fingers aren't as overlapped as they are on the OEM wheel, if that makes sense. I do like the perforated leather, and it seems a little less smooth and shiny than the OEM wheel (even the non-perforated part)

You are correct in saying that I'd prefer something a lot thicker, probably something from a hot rod Stellantis vehicle, but for my needs of wanting paddle shifters and just something a little thicker (with an oem heating element too), while ensuring complete plug and play install, this will suffice. I am towing that small camper from Denver to Moab next week, and want to use the paddle shifters in the mountains, so there was a timing consideration as well.

As for the stitching: I thought it would be brighter orange, but it's actually like a burnt orange that happens to almost be the same color as my brown leather seats, so I think it will look good. I will take a pic of it later after I install it. I realize the 392 color IS more of burnt color, but for some reason in my mind it was going to be as bright as the red stitching on a cloth-seated Rubi.
They make the thicker options that will fit the JL from other Stellantis vehicles, with custom-colored stitching (red, or whatever color your heart desires), paddle shifters, and heating element, plug and play. I have seen someone on either the 392 forum or one of the 392 facebook groups do it.

Hope you're not planning on taking that trailer on the AEV run, or I'm going to have to bring more popcorn... :CWL:

392OVRLND

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Negative on the camper on the AEV run... we will be tenting it that night! I have a small overlanding trailer, but it's not really set up for that kind of run; and I have no experience offroading like that with a trailer, so I didn't want to have to pack my own popcorn for the show that surely would have ensued...
I'm just mad I can't bring my dog. He loves Moab, loves camping, and dogs are allowed in Lockhart Basin without permits.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I'm just mad I can't bring my dog. He loves Moab, loves camping, and dogs are allowed in Lockhart Basin without permits.
Same rules with their Oregon sand dune training. We found someone local to board her. That probably isn't an option for your overnight gig though.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

The 8100 shocks and below

AEV
Package Cost$17,974.00
OptionsAEV Rear Differential Cover - Dana M220 | $236.00
AEV-Painted Dash Panels | $490.00
AEV 10.2 Gallon Fuel Caddy (Gas) | $490.00
AEV Rear Bumper Backup Light | $408.00
Warn Zeon 10-S Winch | $1,912.73
AEV Rear Splash Guards | $219.50
AEV Borah DualSport Wheel | $60.00
AEV DualSport Wheel Hardware Kit | $175.00
AEV Borah DualSport Wheels - Onyx | $0.00
U.S. License Plate Kit | $86.25
AEV Trail Camera Relocation Kit | $284.00
AEV Front Skid Plate LED Light Bar (Amber) | $670.00
AEV Leather / CORDURAÂź Interior | $2,205.00
AEV Front Differential Cover - Dana M210 | $236.00
Sorry, I mean what additional / post-AEV gear will you be adding. My JLURD was 5,660 pounds as delivered, but that was without the incredibly heavy Expedition Recovery Kit.

I've added aluminum skids, massive roof rack, sliders, drawers, fridge, and lots of gear that stays in it to make it as simple as possible to go rock crawling or camping at the spur of the moment.

Note that I wish that I hadn't spec'd the fuel caddy. I really don't have a use case for it, especially since mine's a diesel. It makes the rearview mirror pretty damn pointless. Maybe we'll make a trip to the Arctic Ocean some day?

Warped

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Work? What's that?
Sorry, I mean what additional / post-AEV gear will you be adding. My JLURD was 5,660 pounds as delivered, but that was without the incredibly heavy Expedition Recovery Kit.

I've added aluminum skids, massive roof rack, sliders, drawers, fridge, and lots of gear that stays in it to make it as simple as possible to go rock crawling or camping at the spur of the moment.

Note that I wish that I hadn't spec'd the fuel caddy. I really don't have a use case for it, especially since mine's a diesel. It makes the rearview mirror pretty damn pointless. Maybe we'll make a trip to the Arctic Ocean some day?
I already own recovery gear, so didn't order that. I have nothing planned immediately other than hitting some mild trails and beaches. If I get to harder trails, then skids. My late wife was not into camping, other than Marriott or Hilton. I might get back into it with the new wife. So time will tell.

I won't keep a Dometic in the Jeep. Only when hitting the beach for now. Good point on the weight. Not sure if the diesel is heavier or lighter than the V6, but you bring up a good point about watching the weight.

I saw the AEV Arctic Expedition years ago. Amazing! The fuel caddy was a last minute add, but I can justify it only if I get back into primitive camping on the trails. Otherwise, it will be a waste, but I will still justify it to the wife........... somehow. LOL

Sponsored

OP
OP
bobholthaus

bobholthaus

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technology Integrator
I already own recovery gear, so didn't order that. I have nothing planned immediately other than hitting some mild trails and beaches. If I get to harder trails, then skids. My late wife was not into camping, other than Marriott or Hilton. I might get back into it with the new wife. So time will tell.

I won't keep a Dometic in the Jeep. Only when hitting the beach for now. Good point on the weight. Not sure if the diesel is heavier or lighter than the V6, but you bring up a good point about watching the weight.

I saw the AEV Arctic Expedition years ago. Amazing! The fuel caddy was a last minute add, but I can justify it only if I get back into primitive camping on the trails. Otherwise, it will be a waste, but I will still justify it to the wife........... somehow. LOL
Post AEV I have 620 lbs of payload.

Ratbert is spot on about the caddy. Your rear view mirror is 100% useless. If you won’t use it, or aren’t just dying for the look, you may considering deleting it.

0C3928DF-4EF8-471D-8B12-7F9152BC1AA0.jpeg

Warped

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Work? What's that?
Post AEV I have 620 lbs of payload.

Ratbert is spot on about the caddy. Your rear view mirror is 100% useless. If you won’t use it, or aren’t just dying for the look, you may considering deleting it.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2023 Earl JLURD AEV JL370 Build 0C3928DF-4EF8-471D-8B12-7F9152BC1AA0
Wow. That's it? I guess with the steel bumpers, winch, 37s, etc, it makes sense.

OP
OP
bobholthaus

bobholthaus

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technology Integrator
Wow. That's it? I guess with the steel bumpers, winch, 37s, etc, it makes sense.
Yeah that number scares me a bit. And my ride on the standard springs is perfect. And also which is why @Ratbert advice is spot on above. Those high capacity springs are spec’d for rigs over the recommended GVWR. Otherwise I worry you’ll be bouncing down the road.

Last edited:

392OVRLND

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Note that I wish that I hadn't spec'd the fuel caddy. I really don't have a use case for it
You are not doing where we live correctly if you aren't using your fuel caddy 😜

Somewhere, way out there, where fuel caddies are necessary... The road to Heaven is paved in sage... (my old JKUR).

i-cQ62HN9-X2.jpg

Warped

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Work? What's that?
Yeah that number scares me a bit. And my ride on the standard springs is perfect. And also which is why @392OVRLND and @Ratbert advice is spot on above. Those high capacity springs are spec’d for rigs over the recommended GVWR. Otherwise I worry you’ll be bouncing down the road.
The advice here is great and much appreciated. I did switch to the 8100s but did not plan on the HD springs. I will see what other weight is added to the Jeep down the road and see if I need to just buy the set of HD springs from AEV at that time.
Jeep Wrangler JL 2023 Earl JLURD AEV JL370 Build 1679568576967
Sponsored