2020 Jeep Gladiator
Last edited:

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:

Bill_P

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2023 JLUWSXR
Occupation
Can't tell you..shhh
"Gas Guzzle Tax"... LOL Gotta be in Cali...
That's actually a nation wide tax. It's only imposed on cars though. No trucks, vans or SUVs

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That's actually a nation wide tax. It's only imposed on cars though. No trucks, vans or SUVs
Hmmm, I've never noticed it on cars in TN?

Bill_P

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2023 JLUWSXR
Occupation
Can't tell you..shhh
Hmmm, I've never noticed it on cars in TN?
I looked it up. It applies to passenger cars only. There is a set minimum EPA rating that the car must have. If it doesn't, the lower the EPA rating the higher the tax on it.

Sponsored

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Definitely worth picking up one, hitting 500 miles, destroying half the tires, and then taking it to the Mercedes Dealer and getting $5k over sticker for it... LOL. Ask me how I know. (Yes, my brother sounds like a hyena.) My new driveway needed some character, anyway.

YJdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 YJ 4.0, 2021 JL Willys Sport
Here is how EVERY conversation I have with a Hellcat owner goes:
Me: "Man, that's bad ass. ROAST EM!"
Hellcat owner: "Nah, I just put new tires...SCREEEEEEEEECH!"....and then they're gone and there's so much tire smoke you can't even see. LMAO!

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Here is how EVERY conversation I have with a Hellcat owner goes:
Me: "Man, that's bad ass. ROAST EM!"
Hellcat owner: "Nah, I just put new tires...SCREEEEEEEEECH!"....and then they're gone and there's so much tire smoke you can't even see. LMAO!
The cars are so ridiculously fun to drive and the only thing they're really good at is destroying tires. Lol Every owner is just waiting for the next person to ask.

YJdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 YJ 4.0, 2021 JL Willys Sport
The cars are so ridiculously fun to drive and the only thing they're really good at is destroying tires. Lol Every owner is just waiting for the next person to ask.
They are an absolute BLAST! With all the bs nanny laws and limitations we have in the automotive world, it's almost hard to believe that you can go buy one and actually drive it on public roads.

Sponsored

Spartan99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKUX
As a Californian, the obsession over this state, and the misinformation, are so curious to me. Itā€™s not just in the states either. My friends and family all over the world seem to give CA more of thought than I do about whatā€™s happening in my own city and state. Why are people so obsessed with this state and why are people so confident about their misinformation, like with the comment about the gas guzzler tax?

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
As a Californian, the obsession over this state, and the misinformation, are so curious to me. Itā€™s not just in the states either. My friends and family all over the world seem to give CA more of thought than I do about whatā€™s happening in my own city and state. Why are people so obsessed with this state and why are people so confident about their misinformation, like with the comment about the gas guzzler tax?
It's like boiling a frog in a pot... You don't throw them into boiling water because they'll jump right out, you put them in cold water and slowly turn up the heat... If you were from a state with lots of freedom such as TN, then you would understand why we think of CA the way we do... We see CA as a place that restricts basic Constitutional rights, but you don't see it because you've become accustomed to it... And, your assumption that I am misinformed is completely incorrect as are most assumptions.

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
While there may be some exaggeration, as someone in the aftermarket automotive field I can confirm California is ridiculous. In order to be legal in ca the car in this link needs to have the "optional" California Emissions added to it. Not really optional though (try to find a car without it).

Also, CARB (California Air Research Bureau) is the biggest example of craziness. If a small business wants to make a carbon fiber, or just better looking, intake tube (from filter to throttle) and have it legal to sell in California it must go through CARB certification. That costs over $10k (closer to $20k) per vehicle, per engine combination. How can the little guy afford that? Think about how many intakes he needs to sell to just break even. If he sells his product without a CARB cert to anyone who's shipping or billing address is in California he gets fined heavily.

Don't really want to get political here, but where the automotive market is concerned it's easy to see why people have negative opinions on Ca.

SparkleTooth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stellantis SUCKS
Look on the back of virtually any product you can buy and there will most likely be some sort of California restriction on it. It is the nanniest of all nanny states, and that sometimes has a tendency to leach in to other states especially via Californians migrating to other states only to impose the same nonsense into their new Host State. Hard to not get political about it but also as a Tennesseean it is easy to see the vast differences in freedoms.

I also fully expect this thread to get shut down via the NO POLITICS Gestapo.

gsbrockman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Plus A8 & F8 Green
Occupation
Owner / Operator Brockman Hauling, LLC
Vehicle Showcase
Being in the transportation industry and having my own operating authority, Iā€™ve discovered enough horror stories regarding the trucking industry in CA that it simply boggles my mind. Regulation and rules are insane within the trucking industry to begin with, and CA multiplies those headaches by a factor of ten it seems......
Sponsored