2022 w/6k Miles Leaking Coolant

OP
OP

KellersInColorado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wranger 4XE Sahara
You are chasing after a solution to a different problem. The coolant elbow with the potential for loose bolts is the engine coolant system. That’s the black reservoir by the firewall.

The white reservoir in the photo is the intercooler circuit.

You’ll never fix a leak in one circuit by working on another.
Based on my results thus far, I'm suspecting this is exactly the issue. I was able to get to both bolts now, and both of them felt really, really solid. With the TSB only saying it needs ~8 ft lbs of torque, I feel like I would notice if they were at all loose. I think the fresh coolant by the bottom bolt may have been a red herring, the result of the coolant dripping from somewhere else into roughly the same area as the coolant elbow I'm working on.

Any suggestions for diagnosing the intercooler circuit?
Sponsored

Jim1964

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
Based on my results thus far, I'm suspecting this is exactly the issue. I was able to get to both bolts now, and both of them felt really, really solid. With the TSB only saying it needs ~8 ft lbs of torque, I feel like I would notice if they were at all loose. I think the fresh coolant by the bottom bolt may have been a red herring, the result of the coolant dripping from somewhere else into roughly the same area as the coolant elbow I'm working on.

Any suggestions for diagnosing the intercooler circuit?
I have not had any reason yet to work on the intercooler system, so unfortunately have not much to add. If there is no apparent leak the usual method is use a pressure tester to pump up the system and see where it leaks. You can get a tester for under 100$ at Harbor Freight or Amazon.

Fluorescent dye added to the coolant can be helpful at times.

Hopefully it is something simple like a leaky connection and not a major component that would require dealer attention.

OP
OP

KellersInColorado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wranger 4XE Sahara
I brought it into a third party shop who indicated the engine oil cooler is leaking and needs replacement. See attached photo from them.

Is this not the same bolt issue that I was trying to fix myself? They want $900 and I can’t get into dealer to get it repaired under warranty for a few weeks. Trying to decide if I should bite the bullet and pay it today or try again to fix it myself since it seems like its the bolt I was already trying to torque.

I’d wait for dealer if this wasn’t our only car…

Jeep Wrangler JL 2022 w/6k Miles Leaking Coolant 5E99E4CD-150C-4247-AC76-7B063E8875FF

Last edited:
OP
OP

KellersInColorado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wranger 4XE Sahara
Finally had the Wrangler diagnosed at the dealer yesterday, and they determined, too, that the engine oil cooler needed to be replaced, along with the connecting hoses.

They were able to get the engine cooler no problem, but I just received a call that the hoses they need to make that repair/replacement don't exist.... Our service advisor said the service tech had to call the engineering department at Jeep, and was told by the engineers they will need to figure out how to design and manufacture them before our Jeep can be repaired.

What hoses did they put in it originally if the hoses for this car don't exist? I mean maybe that's why it was leaking in the first place, but there are a lot of 4XE's on the road. What hoses are in those and why aren't they leaking? Does this sound like the service department giving me the run around or is this explanation plausible at all?

Thanks again for everyone's help!

Remorseless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLR 2.0T, '21 KL TH 3.2, '19 Charger R/T 5.7
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Holier Than Thou Internet Bully, Part-Time Online Boy Scout, Full-Time Arson Enthusiast
Finally had the Wrangler diagnosed at the dealer yesterday, and they determined, too, that the engine oil cooler needed to be replaced, along with the connecting hoses.

They were able to get the engine cooler no problem, but I just received a call that the hoses they need to make that repair/replacement don't exist.... Our service advisor said the service tech had to call the engineering department at Jeep, and was told by the engineers they will need to figure out how to design and manufacture them before our Jeep can be repaired.

What hoses did they put in it originally if the hoses for this car don't exist? I mean maybe that's why it was leaking in the first place, but there are a lot of 4XE's on the road. What hoses are in those and why aren't they leaking? Does this sound like the service department giving me the run around or is this explanation plausible at all?

Thanks again for everyone's help!
Might be that the hoses aren't available as a separate item and are instead included with an assembly.

Sponsored

OP
OP

KellersInColorado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wranger 4XE Sahara
Dont know if anyone cares at this point (even Jeep @JeepCares), but want to document everything that happened in the off chance that it is helpful for someone else.

After reading another review for this dealership that stated their car didn't move for over a week despite it being "diagnosed", I checked the UConnect app and noticed that ours, too, hadn't been moved since we dropped it off. When they finally did start it (dropped off 9/28, started 10/7), it was "fixed" later that day. No follow-up on the Jeep engineering what that was all about. My guess is they were buying themselves time as they hadn't even moved the car yet.

I picked it up Monday, got home, and coolant bottle was still empty. Turned around, went back, and had them fill that coolant and look it over. I was told all was good and the engine had probably just "burped" and thats why the coolant bottle was low again.

I drove it about 40-50 miles yesterday to downtown Denver, checked the coolant bottle when I got home, and it was basically empty again. So now I am back at the dealer while they pressure test that particular part of the system to see if they can figure out what's going on.

At this point, I'm considering reaching out to FCA (if I can even get a hold of someone) regarding the lemon laws on this car. It's now been out of commission for a total of 23 days since we picked it up on 5/5/2022, and Colorado lemon law is 30 days within the entire warranty period.

I really want to love the 4XE but these issues are making me not love it at the moment...

Will continue to update as I get more information.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Dont know if anyone cares at this point (even Jeep @JeepCares), but want to document everything that happened in the off chance that it is helpful for someone else.

After reading another review for this dealership that stated their car didn't move for over a week despite it being "diagnosed", I checked the UConnect app and noticed that ours, too, hadn't been moved since we dropped it off. When they finally did start it (dropped off 9/28, started 10/7), it was "fixed" later that day. No follow-up on the Jeep engineering what that was all about. My guess is they were buying themselves time as they hadn't even moved the car yet.

I picked it up Monday, got home, and coolant bottle was still empty. Turned around, went back, and had them fill that coolant and look it over. I was told all was good and the engine had probably just "burped" and thats why the coolant bottle was low again.

I drove it about 40-50 miles yesterday to downtown Denver, checked the coolant bottle when I got home, and it was basically empty again. So now I am back at the dealer while they pressure test that particular part of the system to see if they can figure out what's going on.

At this point, I'm considering reaching out to FCA (if I can even get a hold of someone) regarding the lemon laws on this car. It's now been out of commission for a total of 23 days since we picked it up on 5/5/2022, and Colorado lemon law is 30 days within the entire warranty period.

I really want to love the 4XE but these issues are making me not love it at the moment...

Will continue to update as I get more information.
Thanks for tagging us. Our team would be happy to discuss your current concerns further, please send us a private message.

Kate
Jeep Cares
Sponsored