2022 Rubicon 6 Speed Gear Ratios

CMTATL

First Name
CHAD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 RUBICON 6 SPEED 2 DOOR
Hi, I'm new to the forum. I recently ordered and took delivery of a 2022 2-Door Rubicon with a manual 6 speed. I see conflicting information on the web regarding the individual ratios of each gear in the transmission. Specifically, if 4th gear is 1:1 or if it is 5th. It's not in the owner's manual and the Jeep customer rep's don't even understand the question. I've searched this forum and didn't locate a thread with the information. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Slowregal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01 TJ 2.5 5spd on 31s / '22 JLUR 3.6/Manual
Hi, I'm new to the forum. I recently ordered and took delivery of a 2022 2-Door Rubicon with a manual 6 speed. I see conflicting information on the web regarding the individual ratios of each gear in the transmission. Specifically, if 4th gear is 1:1 or if it is 5th. It's not in the owner's manual and the Jeep customer rep's don't even understand the question. I've searched this forum and didn't locate a thread with the information. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.
How do you find the driving experience? Have you had any other manual vehicules prior to driving your MT Rubicon? I have one on order, curious to see how the tall gearing does.

RubyRubi

First Name
Collin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon, 2018 Grand Cherokee
How do you find the driving experience? Have you had any other manual vehicules prior to driving your MT Rubicon? I have one on order, curious to see how the tall gearing does.
I am one of the few people on here who actually have the JLR 6sp MT. I hear a TON of people complaining, or more likely only a select few who are very loud. As is the case with all forums or Yelp or whatever. I’ve driven and owned a bunch of MT vehicles and the JL is hands down the best. I’ve driven CJs, YJs, TJs and JKs all with MTs, along with various other vehicles. I have zero idea where people’s complaints originate from. It might be different on anything other than a Rubicon due to gearing but on the Rubicon is perfect on and off road. I use every gear consistently and reverse is no problem at all. Seriously, the transmission gets such a bad rap but it’s most likely from automatic owners who kinda wish they have the MT lol. To me, there’s nothing more fun than driving a 2 door with no top or doors and shifting your own gears. Don’t listen too much to people opinions, including mine. You’ll love your Jeep and understand my opinion when you get your hands on it.

Sponsored

Slowregal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01 TJ 2.5 5spd on 31s / '22 JLUR 3.6/Manual
I am one of the few people on here who actually have the JLR 6sp MT. I hear a TON of people complaining, or more likely only a select few who are very loud. As is the case with all forums or Yelp or whatever. I’ve driven and owned a bunch of MT vehicles and the JL is hands down the best. I’ve driven CJs, YJs, TJs and JKs all with MTs, along with various other vehicles. I have zero idea where people’s complaints originate from. It might be different on anything other than a Rubicon due to gearing but on the Rubicon is perfect on and off road. I use every gear consistently and reverse is no problem at all. Seriously, the transmission gets such a bad rap but it’s most likely from automatic owners who kinda wish they have the MT lol. To me, there’s nothing more fun than driving a 2 door with no top or doors and shifting your own gears. Don’t listen too much to people opinions, including mine. You’ll love your Jeep and understand my opinion when you get your hands on it.
Thanks for the review! I drive a 2001 TJ with the 2.5 5spd and love the thing, can't imagine the JL being worse

Jmos4

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Challenger Scat Pack M6/2007 Ram 2500 G56
Hi,

Can attest the transmission in my 22 JLUR is fine, very light clutch is a little different to get use to, only complaint would be wanting a taller 2nd gear as to use as first, as I ordered 4.88's and 1st is still required except for starting on downhill grades.

Regards,
Jim

rudyr89

First Name
Rudy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU
I recently purchased my '18 JLUR with the 6 speed as well. Other than the insanely light clutch it's not bad at all. Just curious how it'd do with 37s or if I have to stick with 35s in the future.

Axelbndr

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon 2door, 6Mt, PBJ, Blk. Top, Bl
Thanks for posting this RedRubi!
I can’t wait to receive my JLR 2dr MT. Just went to D1 status. I’ve waited 30 years to get back in a Jeep. It was a very sad day when I sold my 84 CJ7, 6MT 5 speed.
My Dodge, Cummins, diesel era was great but nothing beats rowing gears in a naked 2 door!!

Sponsored

acomputernerd

First Name
Tricia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
NERD
I recently purchased my '18 JLUR with the 6 speed as well. Other than the insanely light clutch it's not bad at all. Just curious how it'd do with 37s or if I have to stick with 35s in the future.
I put 37's on it a month ago. It needs regeared and its quite obvious that it needs to happen. If going uphill on the highway I've had to go to 4th if at speed. I had the opportunity to buy new mud tires at a discount and I didn't turn back or I would have regeared it first. On the trail it will be nice with the regear I know but I didnt have issue and LOVE having 37's.

johndan

First Name
Johndan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR (ordered and waiting…)
Agreed. I've been driving manual transmission since 1987 (Nova, Saturn, Rodeo, Xterra, Wrangler JKR, Wrangler JLR) and the JLR has the best shifting experience.

I've actually had two JLR MTs (and just ordered a third—long story). The first JLR's transmission failed at 12k miles. I'm useless with mechanicals, but the shop said they'd never seen anything like it (something about the clutch plate being trashed on one side but the other side was fine) and Jeep paid for a warranty replacement.

When I moved from the four-door JLR to a new two-door JLR, I was surprised to find out that the shifting was dramatically better—smoother and more firm, less play. I didn't mention this to my wife, but the first time she drove it she made the same observation. So it's possible some JL's transmissions are wonky from the factory. If you're not happy with yours, see if you can test drive a different JL.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician

MeanMrMustard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
I can't agree more. I've only had my JLR 6sp MT for 3 weeks, and it is fun to drive. It took me a little bit to get used to the clutch, just because it seems different then the other manuals I've driven. I did test drive a JLU with the MT (think it was a willys) and it felt like a dog with the 3.45 rear. The 4.10's and 2 dr seems quite peppy (at least until you hit 35 mph)
Sponsored