Sponsored

2022 Rubicon 2.0 or Willy's Xtreme Recon 3.6 ?

rmenley

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
So this is a new "spin" on the 2.0 vs 3.6 debate. I had had my mind up on a 4-banger Rubicon, but then Friday happened. I had my dealer spec out a very similarly-equipped Willy's Xtreme Recon 3.6, and the two are now almost identically priced. Like within 200 bucks.

So it begs the question - What would you do? Incredible problem to have and probably can't go wrong either way. Even though I spent 6 months talking myself into the 2.0 (and was convinced after driving one), there is something about that 4.56 gearing from the factory that's definitely appealing. And yes- the Willy's Recon pkg DOES come with the same 44 axles as the Rubi. (wide 44 front with the cast iron knuckles). Obviously the trade-off is no locker, no t-case. But you're also talking about tires and wheels that can easily be sold for $2k should I go to 37s (which I will).

Thoughts?
Sponsored

Rockstar08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
So this is a new "spin" on the 2.0 vs 3.6 debate. I had had my mind up on a 4-banger Rubicon, but then Friday happened. I had my dealer spec out a very similarly-equipped Willy's Xtreme Recon 3.6, and the two are now almost identically priced. Like within 200 bucks.

So it begs the question - What would you do? Incredible problem to have and probably can't go wrong either way. Even though I spent 6 months talking myself into the 2.0 (and was convinced after driving one), there is something about that 4.56 gearing from the factory that's definitely appealing. And yes- the Willy's Recon pkg DOES come with the same 44 axles as the Rubi. (wide 44 front with the cast iron knuckles). Obviously the trade-off is no locker, no t-case. But you're also talking about tires and wheels that can easily be sold for $2k should I go to 37s (which I will).

Thoughts?
Ok great question but can you please let us know how you know the Willys Recon pkg comes with the Dana 44 Axles please??? I didn’t see this on the order guide but may have missed it? Personally I am going to order the Willys Sport Recon and will save 3K over the base Rubicon because I don’t do any serious Rock crawling! If you do a lot of serious rock crawling then I would say go with the Rubicon but if not then the Willys Recon is the best deal Especially in the Willys Sport model since its 3K less. Better wheels and bigger tires, better gears, upgraded front Axles even over the base Rubicon. If you live where it snows a lot the LSD Axle in the Willys is better then a locker. Still if I bought the base Rubicon even though the same price as the Willys Recon I know I am going to want bigger wheel and tires which even after selling the Rubicon wheels and tires I bet will cost me another 2K, then I have to do a tailgate reinforcement which if you do the Mopar one is another $695. I wouldn’t upgrade the gears for 35’s but at the end of the day with just those two items alone the Rubicon is still 3K higher then the Willys Recon and 6K higher then the Willys Sport Recon, hence why I will be ordering the Willys Sport Recon.My kids also love the roll up windows
lol..and I don’t mind them personally and if we have the doors off anyway its easier and lighter then with all the power equipment In them. Lastly I too wanted to get the 2.0T with the Recon pkg which would have saved another $1250 over the 3.6 but unfortunately they are not offering that right now so 3.6 it is for me!

OP
OP

rmenley

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok great question but can you please let us know how you know the Willys Recon pkg comes with the Dana 44 Axles please??? I didn’t see this on the order guide but may have missed it? Personally I am going to order the Willys Sport Recon and will save 3K over the base Rubicon because I don’t do any serious Rock crawling! If you do a lot of serious rock crawling then I would say go with the Rubicon but if not then the Willys Recon is the best deal Especially in the Willys Sport model since its 3K less. Better wheels and bigger tires, better gears, upgraded front Axles even over the base Rubicon. If you live where it snows a lot the LSD Axle in the Willys is better then a locker. Still if I bought the base Rubicon even though the same price as the Willys Recon I know I am going to want bigger wheel and tires which even after selling the Rubicon wheels and tires I bet will cost me another 2K, then I have to do a tailgate reinforcement which if you do the Mopar one is another $695. I wouldn’t upgrade the gears for 35’s but at the end of the day with just those two items alone the Rubicon is still 3K higher then the Willys Recon and 6K higher then the Willys Sport Recon, hence why I will be ordering the Willys Sport Recon.My kids also love the roll up windows
lol..and I don’t mind them personally and if we have the doors off anyway its easier and lighter then with all the power equipment In them. Lastly I too wanted to get the 2.0T with the Recon pkg which would have saved another $1250 over the 3.6 but unfortunately they are not offering that right now so 3.6 it is for me!
Well if you're going to do the sport Recon, then you're definitely going to be way cheaper!

After dealer discount, I'm right at 45,700 for both the Rubicon 2.0 (body colored flares, premium soft top and granite are my only options) and the Willys Recon (premium soft top, Granite paint as my only checked option) but this is the non-sport pkg that comes with the power windows, locks, LED's etc).

I've attached the build sheet for the Recon pkg that shows all it comes with for each model. The "JLJL74" is the sport (or Willy's). the "JLJS74" is the Rubicon and the "JLJX74" is the 392.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2022 Rubicon 2.0 or Willy's Xtreme Recon 3.6 ? Recon.PNG

OP
OP

rmenley

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thought this thread might get a bit more feedback than it has 😂

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Having wheeled our 2019 jlur on a whole variety of trails, with 37s on the stock 4.10's, you can't go wrong either way. Even on rocky trails we rarely use the lockers at all, and usually even when needed the rear only is enough to get us through. The 4-1 transfer case combined with the 8 speed auto gives us so many gearing options I've never felt the need to regear. The 2.0t is so much more fun to drive than the v6 in my opinion. That combined with the convenience of the push button sway bar disconnect (especially once unlocked via the tazer to use at any speed). I personally don't think the 4.56 gears and cast knuckles(has anyone had a knuckle failure of the aluminum ones) are enough to sway me to the willys xr if I were ordering now. Sway bar and t case get used all the time and lockers are better to have and not need than need and not have.

Sponsored

Deleted member 59498

I might have missed it but the Willys Recon cost the same as a stock Rubicon?

Willys sure looks good with the XR package though.

OP
OP

rmenley

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I might have missed it but the Willys Recon cost the same as a stock Rubicon?

Willys sure looks good with the XR package though.
Basically a stripped down Rubicon (premium soft top, auto, 2.0 NO Led's) for me is almost identical to the Willy's XR (premium soft top, auto 3.6 - led's standard).

The base base willy's XR with manual door locks, windows and no LED's would be about 4k cheaper with a manual tranny.

OP
OP

rmenley

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m asking the same question. Sorry i didn’t see your post, gonna follow both.

Will they allow XR on a Willys Sport? Thought it was Willys only?
I don't know if they are taking orders for it at this very moment, but yes - that is the plan. Jeep announced as such a few weeks ago at their press event. The Willy's XR pkg is supposed to START at 39,435 (before destination), and that can ONLY mean it's available on the Willy's sport.

Rockstar08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
I don't know if they are taking orders for it at this very moment, but yes - that is the plan. Jeep announced as such a few weeks ago at their press event. The Willy's XR pkg is supposed to START at 39,435 (before destination), and that can ONLY mean it's available on the Willy's sport.
Correct and just to add it can only be a Willys Sport with a Manual Transmission For $39,435 before destination!!
Sponsored